Quantcast

Want to look like Iron Man?

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
Would like to give some a test a ride, see how much better vision is with a rigid lense. If the rigid lenses get beat up as easily as conventional ones, this is a fail. $160 for a lense that will get trashed in a weekend? Who do they think we are, Tony Stark?

9nine9

Chimp
Apr 23, 2007
I think it's $160 for the complete goggle, which is pricy but not that far off some of the high end stuff.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
High end moto goggles? Any idea how much individual lenses will be? I wouldn't mind $160 if it was the last pair of goggles I need to buy(i.e. lense lasts ALL season, maybe 2. with reasonably priced replacements). I have a pair of Crowbars, Provens, and a couple 100%'s. Love them all, but the lenses are pretty thrashed in each pair. Not a problem when I can scoop a new one from the local moto shop for ~$7

9nine9

Chimp
Apr 23, 2007
I'm just going off reading the linked articles.
If you check Oakley's website pricing on the Airbrake snow goggle lense they're $45-$75 but that would be a dual layer (fog-free) lense. So maybe a little less??
Plus everything is full list price we've seen...

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
I would assume they would be an ass-hair cheaper than the snow lenses. I was actually expecting worse, so if they can stand up to some abuse I might be able to warrant buying a pair. Price will drop in ~6 months too so I'd wait for that anyways. Need some long term reviews to see how they hold up over time.

All my other goggles are fine, no complaints. And thats with trashed lenses. I'm not very particular about the condition of the lenses, just wipe/clean them when they get gratuitous fingerprints or smudges. If someone could make a hard lense(solely for ease of removal and installation) that was largely scratch resistant and was decently affordable, they could have a winner. If the new Airbrake lense is just as easily scuffed/scratched/etc as traditional lenses, I don't see any real improvement other than ease of installation. If thats the case, I'll buy the cheaper goggles that are harder to get the lense out of.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
Meanwhile, they need to be working on a moto/mtb version of the airwave! Not that I would buy it, $600 is a bit much for goggles. Pretty cool nonetheless, tried them on at the local Oakley store to see what they were all about. Would be neat to use them in the real world. Probably alot cooler though if all your bro's had them too.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
It takes all of 60 seconds to change lenses on my Crowbar goggles.

I can see the safety benefits of a more impact resistant lens for MX, but not really for DH.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Iron man?!? These are more Imperial Storm Trooper... I've been using a pair for a few weeks now. The fit is great with a D3, and typically good if you're used to Oakley goggles.

I've noticed the actual optics are much better than my Crowbars, and more recently a pair of Mayhems I picked up. Zero distortion. I also feel the peripheral vision is much better as well.

It takes all of 60 seconds to change lenses on my Crowbar goggles.
Really? You must have lots of practice. If I subtract all the cussing, it's maybe 120 seconds for me. This lens comes out in 10, which if you're anal about clean lenses like me, makes maintenance a breeze.