Quantcast

Want to make trip to NC for road riding.....any suggestions?

bmx818

Chimp
Sep 18, 2001
Hi!

My buddy and I are getting sick of the snow up here in NY and we want to take a trip to NC for 4 or 5 days to ride, hopefully along the coast. Has anyone done a similar trip? Can anyone suggest some routes? We are thinking maybe 80-100miles per day. I'd rather not go down there blind so any suggestins or help is greatly appreciated. Would also be great to meet up with locals for a few miles or beers (or both).

Thanks

TimBjr

Chimp
Jan 27, 2009
Greenville, SC
Dont do any road riding but used to. Get to Asheville, south on 25 to Blue Ridge Parkway. Get on Blue Ridge. Find a park spot, there are many on side of road. If road isnt closed, you could go all the way West to Tenn if you wanted. 2 lane, 45 mph. Big road ride destination. Great views, mountains to see and climb. Peace. T

danielsapp414

Monkey
Mar 27, 2005
Boone, NC
Check out the Boone area if it's warm enough. Tons of rides going out almost every day and there are a lot of well written books on routes. Check the "Local Rides" and "Rides" section of the appstatecycling.com forum for some good routes.

P

pcxmbfj

NC is blessed with a varied terrain of mile high mountains and sea level roads along the coast.

Check this url

http://www.ncdot.org/transit/bicycle/maps/maps_highways.html

for maps of road routes considered appropriate for cycling and do a google for more info.

Weather this time of year is unpredictable like our 60 degrees today after 18 degrees last week.