Quantcast

Want to own whistler?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
From a financial stand point re: the likelihood of WMB survival it comes dow to two numbers:
1) The cost and loss of operating expenses caused by shuttering the resort over the summer.
2) The cost and loss of operating expenses (/or profit and gain or operating expenses) caused by keep the resort open for biking over the summer.

If after all is said and done, the cost of the park (even with revenues included) is greater than the cost of shutting it down, you could put good money that it will be shut down. It's a business decision, red or black.

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
From a financial stand point re: the likelihood of WMB survival it comes dow to two numbers:
1) The cost and loss of operating expenses caused by shuttering the resort over the summer.
2) The cost and loss of operating expenses (/or profit and gain or operating expenses) caused by keep the resort open for biking over the summer.

If after all is said and done, the cost of the park (even with revenues included) is greater than the cost of shutting it down, you could put good money that it will be shut down. It's a business decision, red or black.
3) Business partners: if the bike park closes, the whole town (and even beyond) goes on fire.MANY bike and non-bike related businesses throughout the sea to sky corridor makes significant $$$ during the summer because of the park.Plus WBP as become far more than just another bike park for the local economy.I dont see how the new owner would generate a revenue without most of its retailers and other businesses to operate...

I dont claim to have a business degree but Im pretty sure its very unlikely they would ever consider closing the park...Worst case scenario : they will be running on a slim budget next summer like they have for the past 2-3 years...Meaning more holes, rocks and roots to play with and hopefully deter the gorbs from coming to WBP, become a triple rock stars only bike park , every rider pinned the whole time with no one standing in the middle of a trail or pedaling back UP on A-line etc...Oh and in my dream bubble I also own the GLC and I turn it into my house for the summer... lol

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Very interesting, thanks for posting.

I'd say, if the Olympics are any kind of failure, look for a quick fire sale. Otherwise, they probably just bought themselves more time. Does anyone know how ticket sales and lodging bookings are looking for the Olympics?

The moon and the stars aligned just right for this quagmire: economy, housing, jobs take a dump. No one has money to travel. Real estate and stock is worth less now. Lehman Bros (still?) financially weak. After reading the New York post, seems like if Lehman was stronger, they could get through this mostly unscathed. But for now, no one knows. Scary.

spleen123

Chimp
Mar 18, 2009
HI I am a Nigerian Royaltiey. I wouuld like to sand you a check for moar than the amounts and you can wired me the differnece through Western Union. If youu helped me with these I will giuve each of your fmailies $40,000 dollers.

-KT
Is that you Nigel Saloudoo!?

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
The moon and the stars aligned just right for this quagmire: economy, housing, jobs take a dump. No one has money to travel. Real estate and stock is worth less now. Lehman Bros (still?) financially weak. After reading the New York post, seems like if Lehman was stronger, they could get through this mostly unscathed. But for now, no one knows. Scary.
I did my part and took a Whistler trip last September! I was a sacrifice, but somehow I was able to suck it up and ride there for a week :D