Quantcast

Want to Race DH.

peacecoast

Chimp
Jul 21, 2010
New Hampshire
Hey guys,
I have a few questions about DH racing. First, if i don't have any sponsors(which I won't when I start), what do I wear for a jersey? As for pants, do i just wear moto pants? What kind of shoes do I need? I'm going to add a list of things i think i need to race, and if I'm missing something, please feel free to comment.
Bike
Helmet
Goggles
Chest Guard
Jersey
Arm Guards
Gloves
Pants
Leg Guards
Shoes
Thanks in advance

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
As a fellow noob I just wear my moto jersey and a pair of basketball shorts.. I would wear my moto pants but it's normally too hot and I don't particularly care how "pro" I look.

I was wearing my old moto chest protector but it was overly cumberson, luckily my girlfriend was cool enough to get me some dainese body armor for my birthday (good thing the XS size was half the price of the other sizes haha).

For shoes I see lots of people wearing 5.10's but my old fox shoes have the perfect sole for those calf eating pins to fit in between the design or whatever..

Basically just show up at a race, sign up for beginner class and ride your own ride. If there are sections you're having trouble with during practice hop off and watch how other people go through the section, just be sure you aren't in the way at all.

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
5.10s gripp a bit better than even the best skate shoes I tried. You can always buy only the stealth rubber and modify your shoes.
As for protection - more is always better but its your choice. Check race regulations for the required stuff.
Moto pants are good because they dont tear but shorts from the same material are imho better. Avoid fox clothing - low quality from my experiance.

snowaddict91

Chimp
Sep 8, 2008
Gunnison, Co
multiple sets of tires. It makes all the difference to have a set of dry tires and a set of wet tires for not if, but when conditions change. If you're riding somewhere locally and you know what the trails will be like, this isn't 100% neccessary

jutny

Monkey
Jan 15, 2009
Montclair, NJ
Zip ties and duct tape (i'm not even close to kidding either)

I personally prefer hiking boots with vibram soles for racing, I feel more confident/comfortable to dab a foot if necessary, with the mid-rise and stiffer soles.

I either wear moto pants or riding shorts, as much armor as I feel I need for the course, and a Moto Helmet, the MTB helmets arent comfortable to me, and I already have moto helmets ;)

Tire inventory never hurts, dry, wet and mud setups would be ideal... but not necessary. I'd want spare wheels in case you taco one, and certainly spare brake pads especially if you're not shimano/sram. Bring tubes even if you run tubeless, because sometimes you cant get another tubeless to seat in a parking lot.

I bring as much spare **** as possible to race, because it makes me feel like whatever situiation comes up, I can take care of it. I'll even bring a spare bike (not full on DH, but i could get down on it).

oh, and spare, spare clothes, because you're gonna get wet/muddy.

just remember you never know what's gonna happen. Last season I broke nothing, this season, first practice run I crashed and broke my front brake lever off. Luckily zip ties bummed from other riders were able to re-attach it enough to finish practice that day. (then i left and shattered my right wrist riding a moto at my buddies place and didnt get to race Sunday)

now my race kit includes 2 spare levers that will work with my saints, and the tools to bleed them if I have to swap. (and the zip ties i didnt have before for some strange reason)

Last edited:

BMADED

Monkey
Nov 3, 2009
808 State
SHIRTS WITH CATS ON UM!!!!

Skate shoes are fine. Dont need elbow pads or fullbody armour (it's a good idea but not a must have IMO) Helmet, googles, gloves and some knee pads should be good.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Minimal
Hucker lid, camel back and a zip tie to chew on!

Or as maxxed as I go (props to jody gomez as well as I have the pic and requested another since it went with the last computer)

Gloves, helmet, goggles, knee pads, jersey (usually cooler in warm weather) and MOTO shorts for crash resistance and durability...

Last edited:

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
What you wear and what you ride does not matter at all! Just have fun, that's the most important part. The day I stop having fun racing, I'm quitting.

Me personally, I have been racing for years and still show up to practice in riding shorts and a regular shirt. I only get "kitted out" on my race runs, but then again...all my gear is quite a few years old.

Just make sure you bring plenty of spare parts/tires and a good attitude! Don't be discouraged at your initial possible results either if they're not too great. Also, keep in mind, everyone gets nervous at the start, but just keep calm and relaxed and you're set!! The best part about racing is the photos you can get from them too :D :D :D :D :D

Here are some examples
You can have two different kits like this...

Or you can have all matching gear like this....

But like I said, bike, gear, kit, sponsors...does not matter, just relax, have fun and ride!!!!

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
Thanks Everybody!! I just hope the parents will let me race haha. I'm stoked on it though!
How old are you and how long have you been riding?
If you're young and just getting into riding DH I can see their hesitation.

Just let them know that when you race, there are always medics on course no matter what. Yeah it's dangerous and you WILL get hurt (hopefully not badly) but it's better then sitting at home doing nothing!

Hope you can convince them to let you go...it's something in my life I would not trade for anything.

peacecoast

Chimp
Jul 21, 2010
New Hampshire
How old are you and how long have you been riding?
If you're young and just getting into riding DH I can see their hesitation.

Just let them know that when you race, there are always medics on course no matter what. Yeah it's dangerous and you WILL get hurt (hopefully not badly) but it's better then sitting at home doing nothing!

Hope you can convince them to let you go...it's something in my life I would not trade for anything.
Im 14. Ive been riding trails for probably about 3 years, but have always loved drops and any DH section an a trail. I hope so to:)

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Also, how do you decide what races to race at? is there circuit type things or would I just choose certain ones for every weekend?
at this point just hit the races that are close or close enough and fit into your schedule, worry about the other stuff after you start winning.

peacecoast

Chimp
Jul 21, 2010
New Hampshire
Yeah I live probably a half hour away from Highland. I also go to Vermont a lot,(past Mt. Snow) so I could catch races there. Pretty much anywhere in the NorthEast, I want to venture to Diablo sometime too. Any recommendations on really fun races to hit up next year?
Thanks-Peacecoast

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
The Whiteface 5 K DH on 9-11/12 is a race you should go to. We are expecting many of the best downhillers in the world this year. We will also have all the same amateur categories as all other Gravity East races.