Quantcast

Want to try different tires other than Maxxis

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I've been on Maxxis tires for a loooooong time. I'm looking to try something new just because.

My go-to setup for the downhill bike:
Assegai Maxx Grip 2.5 in front
Assegai Maxx Grip 2.5 in rear (I think it's because I had a spare and threw it on there...normally would do a DHR2 since it brakes better)

For the enduro/trail bike it's:
Assegai Maxx Grip 2.5 in front
DHR2 Maxx Grip 2.4 in rear (normally run Maxx Terra during the summer but this year I was lazy and left the maxx grip all year round)

Any suggestions for the pacific northwest? It's about the start getting wet and gross out there.

What say you oh wise, cranky and disgruntled Ridemonkiers??

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I ran Assguy in Exo+ MaxxGrip in the front and Kryptoanal Enduro in the rear on the Titan. Will bang again and maybe try a Kryptoanal in the front as well when the Assman dies.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Assagais are too slow in stock form.... front and rear sounds terrible.

I cut the middle knobs and transition knobs for socal dry not sure id do that for muck... but i dont really get any of that.

They actually squrm less cut.

Would for sure cut em rear.

Would not cut for pumice

Attachments

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Mary's for loam and wet ..
Chan rear is a good choice braking is a bit better and less resistance..you tell it where to go and it executes it with precision...

Albert makes a good all around rear but I don't think lugs are big enough for loam...good for summer dry rocks and all arounder.

Magic Mary 2.5 soft rear trail pro or gravity pro
Magic Mary front 2.5 super soft front trail pro

If running chan rear then go
2.5 Mary front super soft trail star
2.5 chan rear soft super gravity

If it's super nasty shredda...(I want to try em but socal isn't really right for them, I may try a set for northwest winter trip snow mud rain)

Used to cut down dirty dan center spikes rear for less roll over and resistance...leave front alone being body weight and lean pressure back sees more

Maxxis are good, but nice to try different tires...

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
That said tires are a hard choice like shoes...we all have different characteristics and different style, needs and riding...

Maxxis are good love dhf assegai and rode alot out there...they all have things here and there..

Except KENDA..I hate that tire. Those turds cost me a few podiums several times ..bulging sidewalls, weeping sealant, blowing off rim and deformation..

So there is 1 brand I'd with confidence say "HELLLLLLLLLLLL NO!"

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I am curious about Michelin's new tires. They apparently have a new casing which gives less rolling resistance compared to the previous version. Did somebody try them?

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Massive fan of the Vee FlowSnap WCE here.
It easily out grips the ass guy in Wellington conditions (more annual rainfall than Vancouver's North Shore, lot's of rocks and roots)
Just make sure it's the WCE version you get, heavy, but that's why it's so tough..... Only flat I've ever had while using it was a hit that destroyed the rim.