Quantcast

Want to try some new Brews - suggestions/recommendations

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I haven't been drinking much beer as of late and I'd love to pick up something that I haven't tried yet - but plunking down significant change for a beer I've never tasted yet has me turning to the Monkey for help.

I've had almost all of the Dogfish head brews, and Magic Hats, etc. etc. etc.

What else should I be on the lookout for - and I'll take suggestions/recommendations ranging from IPAs to Stouts here.

Maybe even a sampler pack of a really good brewery (but not Shipyard or Smuttynose as I've had those too).

Keep in mind that I'm in New England so some west coast microbrews might be hard to find here.

Whatcha got for me?

Thanks!

Mark

tonyhawk

bikerag.com whore
Sep 21, 2003
CT
Otter Creek Stovepipe Porter ... mmmmmmm.

C'mon by the Spigot in WH with me and Dina some night for darts. They've got like a hundred different beers available for "research."

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
try to find the victory hop devil IPA. it's luscious.

can you get ipswich ale near you? that's good stuff, and their stout is ace too.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
MMcG said:
I haven't been drinking much beer as of late and I'd love to pick up something that I haven't tried yet - but plunking down significant change for a beer I've never tasted yet has me turning to the Monkey for help.
I've had almost all of the Dogfish head brews, and Magic Hats, etc. etc. etc.
What else should I be on the lookout for - and I'll take suggestions/recommendations ranging from IPAs to Stouts here.
Maybe even a sampler pack of a really good brewery (but not Shipyard or Smuttynose as I've had those too).
Keep in mind that I'm in New England so some west coast microbrews might be hard to find here.
Whatcha got for me?
Thanks!
Mark
Good god, man. Haven't you been paying attention? :confused: :think: :evil:

j/k.......Definitely try Long Trail Double Bag and Hibernator. Just do what I have been, go to the packie and pick up a 12 of something new every time you go in.

Linky

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Check out beeradvocate.com it has every style you could ever dream of rated and reviewed by beer snobs like myself. And if you know a beer you like you can click on that style and see what other ones are ranked well and so on and so forth. Besides that I'll throw out some ideas on some of my favorites...Anchor porter, Barney Flat's oatmeal stout, Flying dog road dog ale scottish porter (yeah its really a scottish ale who woulda figured), *Black Douglas by Broughton ales, Stone (they make a couple I like, double bastard ale, smoked porter, 8). As for some stuff you might actually be able to see through the glass when you look at it Ayinger, Hoegaarden and Ommegang are all good as well. Phew I think that is a pretty good list for the moment. Cheers!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Lately I've been drinking a lot of Maudite and Arrogant Bastard.

Is Pilgrim Ale still around? That was a great east coast brew but it's been years since I've had one.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i think pilgrim is kaput. a friend used to work part-time a bit for them, and he'd bring back a bunch of growlers (that was his paycheck). good stuff!

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
MMcG said:
Whatcha got for me?

Thanks!

Mark
Hey Marky Mark - why not get all romantic like and bring laura a really nice bottle of framoise lambic this valentines day. Or a bottle of 3 Philosophers. When in doubt, Beligian is usually a safe bet.

As for US stuff. Just finished up some Long Trail IPA - not bad at all.
Also drinking Victory Hop Wallop - if you like Hop Devil but like something a little stronger (8.5%) and hoppier, this is for you.

Cold weather also calls for imperial stouts - for that give Brooklyn Black Chocolate a try.

I've also been drinking summer beers to fight the winter blues - Saison Dupont reminds me of green grass and warm sun.

Now i'm thirsty.
:drool:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Thanks for all the suggestions - I bought a 12 pack of the old standby last night - Harpoon IPA - but that was for squarewheels for helping me build up my HOllowpoint!

I think I'll try some Ipswich per Narlus' recommendation and go from there. :cool:

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
bigginsis said:
Abita makes great beer - Turbo Dog, Abita Amber (my favorite), Wheat...the brand can be hard to find but it's worth the hunt.
Also, Blackened Voodoo - nice.
Sounds like what we like to drink down here in Looziana...

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
N8 said:
Sounds like what we like to drink down here in Looziana...
The Turbodog has developed a small following around here too. I used to like Blackened Voodoo but I get better beer for the price by sticking w/brews from Abita, St. Arnold's, and New Belgium. When I wanna spend money it's Dogfish Head, Paulaner Salvator, or a Belgian.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
MMcG said:
And????? How were they?
Not bad. Wachusett makes decent beer. Smooth to drink, and worth trying. But you definitely need to try some LongTrail. If you are ever in Bridgewater, VT a stop at the brewery for lunch and some pints is a requirement. (It's close to Killington). Haven't had any of their varieties that I would call bad, but I could drink nothing but Double Bag the rest of my life and be happy. :heart:

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
I don't know how widely distributed it is, but Bershire Brewing Company (BBC) Draymans Porter is really good. They are based in Western Mass, so you shold be able to get it somewhere in CT. They also do a Coffehouse Porter that is pretty good. Another one to try is Paper City Brewing, based in Holyoke, MA. If you get that one, go for the Dam Ale. They also do an "Indian Pale Ale" with a motrocycle on the label - quite good. Their O'Riley's Stout is also decent. A friend of mine was master brewer there for a while and he generally stuck with the Dam Ale. Some of their seasonal stuff is great. (Wee Heavy Winter Bock comes to mind)

The Brooklyn Chocolate Stout is good, but the final word is North Coast Brewing's Old Rasputin Imperial Stout -rules the world.

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
this thread makes me want to go down to the packie right now :drool:

I second Berkshire's suggestion. Long trail makes some great beers. Double Bag and Hit the Trail are my favorites from them. Also try out Brooklyn Brewery, their brown ale is great.