Quantcast

Want to try that on me, Ranger?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/01/30/BA921N0LQT.DTL&tsp=1

Ranger zaps off-leash dog walker with shock weapon

A Montara man walking two lapdogs off leash was hit with an electric-shock gun by a National Park Service ranger after allegedly giving a false name and trying to walk away, authorities said Monday.

The park ranger encountered Gary Hesterberg with his two small dogs Sunday afternoon at Rancho Corral de Tierra, which was recently incorporated into the Golden Gate National Recreation Area, said Howard Levitt, a spokesman for the park service.

Hesterberg, who said he didn't have identification with him, allegedly gave the ranger a false name, Levitt said.

The ranger, who wasn't identified, asked Hesterberg to remain at the scene, Levitt said. He tried several times to leave, and finally the ranger "pursued him a little bit and she did deploy her" electric-shock weapon, Levitt said. "That did stop him."

San Mateo County sheriff's deputies and paramedics then arrived and Hesterberg gave his real name, the park spokesman said.

Hesterberg, whose age was not available, was arrested on suspicion of failing to obey a lawful order, having dogs off-leash and knowingly providing false information, Levitt said.

He was then released. He did not return a phone call seeking comment.

Witnesses said the use of a stun gun and the arrest seemed excessive for someone walking two small dogs off leash.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
What's with Tazers and Cops in US? I know you get fat on that side of the pond but what's with the cops tazing everyone on the first sign of something uncomfortable(not to mention aren't they trained in other ways of apprehending and controling uncooperative people?). Is there a law that prevents you from joining the force if you aren't a pussy?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
What's with Tazers and Cops in US? I know you get fat on that side of the pond but what's with the cops tazing everyone on the first sign of something uncomfortable(not to mention aren't they trained in other ways of apprehending and controling uncooperative people?). Is there a law that prevents you from joining the force if you aren't a pussy?
Well - this *was* a female ranger. :D

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Well first off, this was San Fransisco area. I dont even claim that area as part of California..... Second, Its in California, the home of rediculous and bull**** lawsuits. Belive it or not but since the deployment of the "tazer" lawsuits have dropped for use of force quite a bit.

Basically the part that they are afraid of, is having some jackass kid with a video phone record whats happening, and taking the entire situation out of context and making it looking like a random beating. Perception at this time with people is that overall a tazer does no harm, yet subdueing someone with force sure looks like it does.

Wait, wasn't there a thread here not long ago about a similar subject? Yes about an officer that "Just tackled" a rider for no reason.... when in reality the witness had no clue what had transpired just before that.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Well first off, this was San Fransisco area. I dont even claim that area as part of California..... Second, Its in California, the home of rediculous and bull**** lawsuits. Belive it or not but since the deployment of the "tazer" lawsuits have dropped for use of force quite a bit.

Basically the part that they are afraid of, is having some jackass kid with a video phone record whats happening, and taking the entire situation out of context and making it looking like a random beating. Perception at this time with people is that overall a tazer does no harm, yet subdueing someone with force sure looks like it does.

Wait, wasn't there a thread here not long ago about a similar subject? Yes about an officer that "Just tackled" a rider for no reason.... when in reality the witness had no clue what had transpired just before that.
In most cases you don't even need to tackle someone. Though I'd rather be punched than tazed. Though I guess the whole lawsuit frenzy you have on your site of the pond isn't helpfull.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Give a fake name...get owned!

Ironically, I'm pretty sure that in 98% of all tazings, there's a douchebag on the end with the prongs. In this instance, I'm guessing the chic pulling the trigger was laughing on the inside at douchebag in park w/ lapdogs.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Somehow tazers have gone from "less-lethal firearm alternative" to "first option used when cop doesn't want to have to waddle after possible perpetrator". It's the 21st century alternative to the nightstick-to-the-side-of-the-knee-to-get-their-attention technique.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Rangers don't strike me (har har) as the upper echelons of law enforcement. See them a lot around here. I had one pull up next to my car and yell at me for passing him (driving 45 in a 60, dicking with his phone) I leaned out the window and asked him "What are you going to do when you lose your job?" and his eyes literally bulged out of his head and he almost hit a car accelerating into the intersection. (It was funny as hell)

Last edited:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Somehow tazers have gone from "less-lethal firearm alternative" to "first option used when cop doesn't want to have to waddle after possible perpetrator". It's the 21st century alternative to the nightstick-to-the-side-of-the-knee-to-get-their-attention technique.
But she was waddling after a douche. A douche with a fake name. A douche carrying pocket dogs. If that doesn't deserve voltage, what does?

I mean, if you could take a vote on who to taze in a line up and douche w/ fake name parading pocket pups isn't your first inclination, I have concerns about your citizenship. :D

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
But she was waddling after a douche. A douche with a fake name. A douche carrying pocket dogs. If that doesn't deserve voltage, what does?

I mean, if you could take a vote on who to taze in a line up and douche w/ fake name parading pocket pups isn't your first inclination, I have concerns about your citizenship. :D
:stupid:

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I hope that when I own a dog, it's the kind of dog that will maul the crap out of someone if they taze me. His fault for owning two little squeak toys with hair.

SloMoJo

Monkey
Dec 17, 2002
New England
Comical ....

He had it coming ...disobey an officer? :nope:
"Sir .... stop or I will taze your ass!"

Here's a question for ya.
Why would you give a Taze gun to a female????
Have you see how easy they get pissed?!?

If my wife owned one ... I'd be bacon by now. :eek:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
I wish law enforcement still had the ok for a knightstick to the knee these days..... But they cant.

My Grandpa still has his watch he wore when he was in law enforcement back in the day, he picked it specifically because his plan was to remove four or five of the fake emeralds and leave the setting in the wristband..... Defenite attention getter when using holds across the face and neck in a take down. He also still has his half set of handcuffs with a tbar welded onto it.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
In most cases you don't even need to tackle someone. Though I'd rather be punched than tazed. Though I guess the whole lawsuit frenzy you have on your site of the pond isn't helpfull.
The "tackle" incident I was refering to was not me saying she should have tackled him, and yes I know there are alot of other options when subduing a suspect that involve cool submission holds and such.... But also being she is in fact female, its likely the man was much larger and quite possibly stronger than her making a submission hold/grab a possibly dangerous choice... we dont know because none of us were there.

Overall, dude was going to get a lease law ticket<two actually>, decided to give a fake name, and disobeyed an order from a law enforcement officer, and tried to leave the scene..... Good on the ranger for making a decision to follow through.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
How far do your beef curtains have to hang to qualify for Waddletwat status?

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I wish law enforcement still had the ok for a knightstick to the knee these days..... But they cant.

My Grandpa still has his watch he wore when he was in law enforcement back in the day, he picked it specifically because his plan was to remove four or five of the fake emeralds and leave the setting in the wristband..... Defenite attention getter when using holds across the face and neck in a take down. He also still has his half set of handcuffs with a tbar welded onto it.
In any sort of civilized nation, you'd be the type of person they would filter out of the "I want to be a cop" process.

I wish I lived in one...

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
You can stilll use the nightstick to the knee...you just have to be able to elucidate in court how you intended to strike an authorized striking point (Outside of the leg...) and the subject dodged/ducked/dipped/dove or dodged...

"Officer Dirty Mike, why did you strike defendant Silver in the throat with your collapsible baton?"
"Sir, I intended to strike his arm between the elbow and shoulder, as I was trained, but he dodged and I unforunately missed his arm..."
"All 37 times as recorded by your dash cam?"
"Sir, he kept dodging."

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
You can stilll use the nightstick to the knee...you just have to be able to elucidate in court how you intended to strike an authorized striking point (Outside of the leg...) and the subject dodged/ducked/dipped/dove or dodged...

"Officer Dirty Mike, why did you strike defendant Silver in the throat with your collapsible baton?"
"Sir, I intended to strike his arm between the elbow and shoulder, as I was trained, but he dodged and I unforunately missed his arm..."
"All 37 times as recorded by your dash cam?"
"Sir, he kept dodging."
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.... now that makes me laugh.. Thanks I needed that.

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
In any sort of civilized nation, you'd be the type of person they would filter out of the "I want to be a cop" process.

I wish I lived in one...
Reading this thread makes me happy I live where I do; freaken pyschopaths the lot. "Taze em y'all, it's fun"

FFS its a couple of pooches off leash and he said his name is "Bob" when its Robert or "Blue" when he has red hair or some other extremely fraudulent miscommunication of identity.

Call me a lefty but fark!!!

Edit: Or am I missing your American humour????