Quantcast

Want want WANT!!!!

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Seriously, the biggest privacy issue with Google+ is the ability to reshare? Have these people never heard of the Snipping Tool in every single W7 system? Snip screenshot of inflammatory post, repost on Google+ or FB as .jpg.

The rule here is NEVER post anything (anywhere) that you don't want coming back to haunt you at some point in the future.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
can't seem to find how to delete a comment on a post without deleting the post. anyone got it figured?

also, can you have someone in a circle, so you can identify them with a group, but hide their posts? say like i added mooshoo to a "mtb" circle, but don't want his noise in my feed.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
upper right of post, you should see a down arrow, which gives you a drop menu, with a delete option

e: there it is; do you not see it? edit -> "delete comment"

Last edited:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
can't seem to find how to delete a comment on a post without deleting the post. anyone got it figured?

also, can you have someone in a circle, so you can identify them with a group, but hide their posts? say like i added mooshoo to a "mtb" circle, but don't want his noise in my feed.
on the mobile app there's a "moderate comments" option when you click the upper right hand button. Not sure on the web version...

So far, there's no - person option. FB would allow you to hide people from your stream, and -people from being allowed to see your posts. No such option from G+, but I've requested it. Maybe request it as well?

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
upper right of post, you should see a down arrow, which gives you a drop menu, with a delete option

e: there it is; do you not see it? edit -> "delete comment"
saw it, but it kills the post, not the specific comment, and there is no "person" setting yet, which is the info i was after (thanks bacon lover)

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
i made a persona non-grata group on fb, & intend to do the same on g+ if it ever gets out-of-control (farmville, losers who you used to work w/ who friended you but you still have curiosity about how miserable their lives are, "@ gym getting my pump on", etc.)

so i think post blocking is ad-hoc or user blocking, but i haven't found a way to keep them off your feed.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
saw it, but it kills the post, not the specific comment, and there is no "person" setting yet, which is the info i was after (thanks bacon lover)
so here's my test case:
- post a pic of a kitteh driving a raptor
- comment on post
- delete comment [*not* the post]

i would expect you could do the same for someone else's comment on your post.

e: i'd post snips but this is my xp box

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Dante, when I am viewing my stream, there's a little downward pointing arrow next to each post. When I hit that, I have the option to report abuse, mute the post, or block the person.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Ah, it looks like this is all in regards to the mobile app - sorry, nevermind. Block them when you get back to a computer for now :D

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Dante, when I am viewing my stream, there's a little downward pointing arrow next to each post. When I hit that, I have the option to report abuse, mute the post, or block the person.
Don't necessarily want to full-on "block" them, just the ability to hide them from my stream (without having to make a circle of "everyone but that one person who always posts crap about his/her kids").

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
My impression of the "block" was that it would hide them in the stream. I would assume a block from viewing your stream of posts would be handled in your privacy and circle settings.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Ah, it looks like this is all in regards to the mobile app - sorry, nevermind. Block them when you get back to a computer for now :D
Not mobile app specific. I don't believe the feature had been added to the desktop version at the time I first posted my question. The arrows for post options were not showing up on my screen until recently, or the arrows were there but the "block" option was not.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Whoa. Have been on G+ as Stray Cat Bicycles, and got this message today:

Google said:
It appears that the name you entered does not comply with the Google+ Names Policy.

The Names Policy requires that you use the name that you are commonly referred to in real life in your profile. Nicknames, previous names, and so on, should be entered in the Other Names section of the profile. Profiles are currently limited to individuals; we will be launching profiles for businesses and other entities later this year.

If you do not edit your name to comply with the Names Policy by August 21, 2011, your profile will be suspended: you will not be able to make full use of Google services that require an active profile, such as Google+, Buzz, Reader, and Picasa. This will not prevent you from using other Google services, like Gmail.

We understand that Google+ and its Names Policy may not be for everyone at this time. We'd be sad to see you go, but if you do choose to leave, make a copy of your Google+ data first. Then, click here to disable Google+.
Now, this wasn't unexpected since I've heard of other companies getting kicked off, but seriously, WTF? The Supreme Court has determined that companies are people, dammit! Maybe for reference I should send them my LLC documents along with a copy of Citizens United? Or should I start a "save my G+" page on FB?

Apparently there's a corporate page in the works, but in typical Google fashion, it's only open on a limited trial basis.

BTW, it's hilarious to see their "one click deletion" option compared to FB's creepy "please don't go... no, please, are you sure you don't want to come back? We'll be here.... we'll even leave your information stored on our servers just in case.... since we know you'll be back.... someday.... trust us, you can't leave us.... please come back... Please?"

Last edited:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
just noticed this on Facebook - a button that says "To make privacy simpler we made some changes including creating this new tool, removing and updating some settings, and giving you a clear, inline control for who sees your posts."