Quantcast

Wanted: Small Road Bike

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Ok...I have decided that I need a road bike and I will be putting plenty of miles on it ASAP. So far, I have looked at the Specialized Allez Sport & Elite and think I would like something along those lines. I was sized for a 50 (Specialized Allez line -- it's different for the Dolce's). Does anyone know of a newer used one ('04-'05) or recommend a place for a good deal on a new. I am going to be checking out the Bianchi's too. Thanks!

I know it's not the Buy/Sell "Wanted" form but I thought I would have a better chance of getting responces here.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I'd post in the PNW forum... that's where you live, yeah? I wouldn't know where you could find a good deal up there. Obviously craigslist and ebay within 50 miles is good, cuz then you can test ride and save on S&H.

As for Specialized, I've known several women who ride their WSD line and they've all loved 'em, tho I think you're saying it's been suggested you ride the non-specific bike?

I recommend looking at any 105 or ultegra 9-speed bikes as they're probably on clearance. And 105 is more than good enough.

Have you been measured? "Sized" implies (to me) that they put you on a bike on a trainer and declared it right for you.

J

JRB

Theresa - I'll see what the shop can do here in town and PM you later today.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
loco said:
Theresa - I'll see what the shop can do here in town and PM you later today.
Sweet! Thanks!

LO--I did get on the bike and ride it to see how it felt. I liked the Allez feel and fit. The Dolce seemed smaller (the cockpit area) but they had me on a 48 in the Dolce and I didn't think it was quite right.

I am checking with some of my LBS too. I am hoping to have a rig soon!

J

JRB

I have not found a 50 cm Allez, but there are some 48 and 50cm Dolces, if I recall. I have the owner looking in his second store today. It'd be better to buy local for sure, but hopefully if the price is high, I can give you ammo to haggle.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
loco said:
I have not found a 50 cm Allez, but there are some 48 and 50cm Dolces, if I recall. I have the owner looking in his second store today. It'd be better to buy local for sure, but hopefully if the price is high, I can give you ammo to haggle.
Sweet! I liked the Trek that I rode today...felt good and it was a WSD bike. It looks like I will be getting an '05 Treak 1500 WSD. I'll keep everyone posted and definitely put up pics when I get it!

Mike Stone

Chimp
Jul 15, 2002
Danbury CT
I have a new leftover Redline Conquest Tour 50cm, which is pretty similar to the Allez Sport. Kinesis butted 7005 aluminum frame, Tiagra 9 speed triple STi drivetrain, Alex wheels with 700x26 clinchers. Top tube is 51 cm center to center. The Allez Sport looks to be a tad better because it has Tiagra upgraded with a 105 rear derailleur, and it has a carbon fiber front fork. The Redline is a deep metallic red (not bright red). $575 if you are interested, the bike is in Danbury CT.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Mike Stone said:
I have a new leftover Redline Conquest Tour 50cm, which is pretty similar to the Allez Sport. Kinesis butted 7005 aluminum frame, Tiagra 9 speed triple STi drivetrain, Alex wheels with 700x26 clinchers. Top tube is 51 cm center to center. The Allez Sport looks to be a tad better because it has Tiagra upgraded with a 105 rear derailleur, and it has a carbon fiber front fork. The Redline is a deep metallic red (not bright red). $575 if you are interested, the bike is in Danbury CT.
Thanks...I will keep this in mind.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
TreeSaw said:
Sweet! I liked the Trek that I rode today...felt good and it was a WSD bike. It looks like I will be getting an '05 Treak 1500 WSD. I'll keep everyone posted and definitely put up pics when I get it!
WSD??

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
treesaw - if you can try some comparable steel framed road bikes for ride quality, fit and feel.

Jamis makes a few models that are really nice bang for the buck.

Does Specialized still make an Allez in steel?

I betcha Bianchi has a few steel framed bikes in your price range as well.

IMO - steel is even more real for a road bike.

MMcG said:
treesaw - if you can try some comparable steel framed road bikes for ride quality, fit and feel.

Jamis makes a few models that are really nice bang for the buck.

Does Specialized still make an Allez in steel?

I betcha Bianchi has a few steel framed bikes in your price range as well.

IMO - steel is even more real for a road bike.
BAH!

Good alumiunum is better than bad steel.

;)