Quantcast

Wanted: Specialized Grom Hit

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
I'm looking for a Specialized Grom hit for my 8yro son. I found one in BC but it will cost 400+ to ship to New Hampshire. Does anyone have one, or know someone who may that is not being used? I've been searching for a while and have come up short; if anyone can help out I would appreciate it and my son would be ecstatic!

*The bike is a 24" fsr 140mm travel DH bike with single crown fork. I think they only came in Purple or Black and are no longer made*

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
I understand the desire to find one of these - my son rode the single pivot version. If you dont find one, second choices include a small bottlerocket and a kona howler (i'm sure other dual slalom duallies can be made to work). Bottlerocket with 7.5" shock was very close in size to the Grom.

nmpearson

Monkey
Dec 30, 2006
We used to build small or medium transition syrens for young kids. The small is almost exactly the same sizing as the grom hit and the med is just a touch bigger. The upside to the Syren is that the bike is a 26 and you can upgrade the suspension easier. We did fully upgrade a grom hit also. Basically 3 super short rich kids were going to whistler and wanted their bikes to work. The syrens ended up being better but it's really just preference. I'd stay with 26 if I were you. Only downside is that they're made in girls colors so we powder coated one and stripped the other one

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
There are a few for sale on Pinkbike.

Search both gromhit and grom hit.

Last edited:

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Yeah, I've been checking pinkbike...they are all in Canada. I'm considering the Spec SX slope style ...not sure how it would work out but it looks close in size in person. He's only 4'3" with a 24" inseam...we rented the Grom Hit, which he was ripping on, but even that was a little on the big size. He handled it well, and will definitely grow.

So yeah, I'm considering an "adult" bike that I could maybe put 24" wheels on for stand over clearance...we'll see. I've found some descent deals on the SX (not he SX trail) that he could grow with, I'm just not sure how that suspension design and shock would work for DH trail riding but I suspect, at his age, it would be fine.

Last edited:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Keep looking for a Grom Hit. They are perfect for kids 7+. A couple on Pinkbike in Canada are super nice. I got lucky when I found my daughters. It was brand new with upgraded Juicy 7 brakes. I only paid $650 and only had to drive 100 miles to get it. keep looking. The bike is worth it.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
my boy is still rocking the old big hit grom. He rode it with 24's for a couple of seasons, age 9-11, and then I put 26's on it this past year. It's not as light as the grom-hit but can be made lighter than stock pretty easily. I've seen several of them on ebay for under $400 complete.

he's small for a 12 year old but the big hit grom has grown with him very well

good luck!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
my boy is still rocking the old big hit grom. He rode it with 24's for a couple of seasons, age 9-11, and then I put 26's on it this past year. It's not as light as the grom-hit but can be made lighter than stock pretty easily. I've seen several of them on ebay for under $400 complete.

he's small for a 12 year old but the big hit grom has grown with him very well

good luck!
So much for me offering to buy yours when I spotted this thread. Scott has a full sus 24", but the shock travel is a bit of a joke.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
One will pop up. I'd sell mine, since its a tad big for my son, but then I'd be right back in the same boat in a year or two. Really wish I would've seen the lil shredder bikes before I got the gromhit since its still a bit big for my son.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Yeah, there seems to be plenty in Canada, but the shipping is rediculous, and not a lot at the moment here in the US.

I was/am considering a Specialized SX (slopestyle not trail) because the standover height is really low, but the top tube length is 1 5/8" longer than the grom hit..everything else is real close except the wheel base, which I think is due to 24" vs 26". I don't know, the one I found is speced out great and could be grown into but it might be wishful thinking that it would work.

There is always the Kona Stinky 24 which is still manufactured...but it is certainly not as nice as the Grom Hits.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
A guy at Nationals had his daughter racing there in DH at 8 years old and she was in full TLD D3 hit on a "think" a Specialized SX. Never got the chance to talk to him more about or look at it up close to see how it fit her or what mods to suspension/reach/etc he made to accomadate.

Anybody know that guy?

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
That's the one I posted a couple days ago. For the price it could be shipped and still be a decent price.

This looks to be the nicest one I've found. Have you contacted him?
http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1171719/

I have a buddy in Calgary that could ship this for you if the guy wont.
http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1178123/

There are a ton for sale.

Last edited:

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
OK, The one in Squamish was the one that I refered to in the OP. I contacted him and he looked in to shipping it through Canadien Post (?) and according to him, it would cost $400 and change to get if from squamish to New Hampshire..I might pay 200 but no way I'm paying 4+. If anybody believes/knows that this is way off, I'm open to ideas. I would pay 1200 total for one that is in great shape but I've ruled out Canada due to shipping.

Now if anybody wants to pick one up and come to Highland to ride in prime foliage season...let me know and we can work something out :)

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
OK, The one in Squamish was the one that I refered to in the OP. I contacted him and he looked in to shipping it through Canadien Post (?) and according to him, it would cost $400 and change to get if from squamish to New Hampshire..I might pay 200 but no way I'm paying 4+. If anybody believes/knows that this is way off, I'm open to ideas. I would pay 1200 total for one that is in great shape but I've ruled out Canada due to shipping.

Now if anybody wants to pick one up and come to Highland to ride in prime foliage season...let me know and we can work something out :)
With larger parcels, canada post sucks. You may actually want to look into UPS and FedEx.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
(cross post)
I'm about to pull the trigger on a bike for my son with a seller in BC who would be shipping it to New Hampshire. Are the issues with tax and import fees the same coming in to the US? It's a private seller so I am hoping this would be no different than a relative sending me something..wishful thinking?

And if this doesn't work out, thanks Butch for sniping.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
(cross post)
I'm about to pull the trigger on a bike for my son with a seller in BC who would be shipping it to New Hampshire. Are the issues with tax and import fees the same coming in to the US? It's a private seller so I am hoping this would be no different than a relative sending me something..wishful thinking?

And if this doesn't work out, thanks Butch for sniping.
I should wait for you to find one first and get first pick. It's the American way. If me sniping a bike that isn't for sale is a snipe, I'm snipin'! :D

Brother, I doubt I can do squat on one of these things unless it's a perfect scenario. Don't fear the reaper (and other senselses phrases).

Last edited:

Scrub

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2003
NOR CAL, Sac/CoCo County
I'm here at Northstar in Tahoe and there was a used 24" Specialized bike for sale in the village yesterday for $500, I'll try to get some info on it if its still there today and pass it along.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
nmpearson, you're the man! Thank you, she is shipping it out tomorrow!
That would explain that after she responded to my text, she didn't respond to my phone call. To you I tip my hat in bitter defeat sir. :D

I've landed a Big Hit Grom though and the great thing is he's local and in no hurry, so we got it set up where I can snag it in time for Christmas.

Granted, my self serving reasons for her reminds me of the story where Stone Cold Steve Austin bought his wife a top notch shotgun for Christmas. ;)

Explain to me all the key differences between GromHit and Big Hit Grom please. Weight, angles, etc.

Last edited:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
OK, a Stinky 24 stock has popped up now local right down the road as well. It's got some Tektro hydros on it versus the Big Hit Grom and it's a 2011. Price may be almost double the Big Hit Grom though. Thoughts?

Last edited: