Quantcast

Wanting to make some changes..

GnarlyPirate

Chimp
Jun 10, 2009
Hartford, CT
Howdy,

I have a 27-speed hardtail Cannondale F400 that I've been riding pretty hard lately as I've been getting better, and maybe more important, just ballsier I guess. Ive beaten up the big chain ring beyond repair and recently I had my rear wheel stolen so I've been using an old wheel with the wrong size cassette on it. This has had me riding solely in 2-4 and 2-5 according to my shifters and I've grown used to it. My front wheel is still good with good treads still and barely bent. My makeshift rear wheel is almost treadless and wobbly making riding getting pretty hard. I live in CT and for the most part all the trails I ride are pretty technical single track which beats up my bike and occasionally gets the better of me, but I love it and can't stop.

I've got an idea of what I want to do, just don't know if it's possible or makes sense really so that's where I'm really looking for help.

First I want to go tubeless front and back with big tires and want to keep my front rim if that's possible. I weigh 235 lbs and patch or replace a tube about once a ride due to pinch flats.

Secondly I want to get rid of the large chain ring and put a bash ring on because I never use my large chain ring for anything other than smashing it on logs, stumps, and rocks.

Thirdly I want to change the amount of gears I have to something like a 10-speed (two chain rings up front and five on the cassette) if possible, and if not then whatever is done by someone in my position. As it is now with the wrong cassette, my derailleur only lets me ride smoothly in two gears so i'm used to having only two working speeds at the moment. Also, for that matter I'd consider taking it down to single speed and just doing away with the derailleur and shifters if that'd be more logical.

I hope some of you guys will be able to help me, and all help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help. Happy trails.

:cheers:

Last edited:

zebrahum

Monkey
Jun 22, 2005
SL,UT
Ok, I'll help as much as possible, but we'll need some more information. Why is the other cassette the wrong size? Does it have 9 speeds like your previous one? If not, you can take the two wheels to a shop and get them switched. While you are there, have them true the wheel(s) to get them running straight.

Ok, tubeless: There's two ways to do it, convert your current wheel set or get a new wheel set. If I were recommending an option, I of course would get you to get a new tubeless wheel set. You could get something built stronger than the current ones you have and they'll keep you rolling longer between trues. Of course, this is way more expensive, but way more reliable.

The second method is conversion. I don't know what rims you have, but you can search "ghetto tubeless" to find a quick, cheap method of conversion. Also available is the Stan's kit, I've installed dozens of them, and they're usually reliable and quick. Though on some rims, they just won't work. It's hard to say.

Tires: It's not necessary, but UST or tubeless tires work better for tubeless than non-tubeless tires. As far as size goes, your frame has a maximum tire size that it will allow. And each manufacturer has a different way of measuring their tires, so a 2.5" Kenda won't be exactly the same as 2.5 Continental. What size tire is on there, and how much room do you have? Try going somewhere to look at inflated tires and get a feel for how big they are and if they'll fit on your bike.

If I were to guess, I wouldn't go much above a 2.35 unless you have a shop that will let you test them out. I can squeeze a 2.35 on my hardtail, but not much more. You have to leave room for mud.

Bashguard: Great idea, do it. Get one the same bolt pattern as your crank and to fit the number of teeth on your middle chainring.

Gearing: Stick with your 9 speed stuff and just take off the big chainring. 9 speed stuff is easy to find and industry standard right now. 8, 7, 6 or other speed systems are differently spaced, so a 9 speed shifter (which you should have) will not properly shift to an 8 speed cassette. You could get a spacer kit to remove some of your gears, but that's infrequently used (ex. 4x racing).

So get your gears adjusted (or learn how to do it yourself) to a 9 speed cassette, and run 2 chainrings. You should be dialed after that, and you'll get to spend less money than buying new shifters to run 8,7,6... gears.

Single speed: with your weight, you can probably put the hammer down pretty hard. You could use a chain tensioner, but stay away from spring driven ones, they simply won't stay on when you're cranking hard. You need a fixed tensioner (I've heard the Renin one is good) or you need an eccentric hub. I run an eccentric hub for chain tension (White Industries Eccentric Eno) and it has only skipped on my once, after I didn't set the tension properly after a flat fix. It is a hub only and you'll need to build a wheel around it (good to do at the same time you upgrade rims).

You have to do very little at this point to get your bike running well as a 2x9, single speed is a good option for down the road, but see if you can get it running reliably first.

Long post over.

GnarlyPirate

Chimp
Jun 10, 2009
Hartford, CT
Thanks for the reply, zebrahum.

My original rear wheel was stolen so the one I was using was from an old 21-speed bike my friend didn't ride anymore. I brought the wheels to my local bike shop to have them switch the wheels, but I was told they couldn't because the hubs were different for front wheels and back wheels. In the end they got me to cough up roughly $230 after tax for a new rear wheel.

The purchase:
Rim - CROSSRIDE Disc 09
9-speed cassette - Sram PG-970 11-34
Tire - Barro Mountain 26x2.30

After getting it on my bike I just went up and down the road but am pleased that I have 18 smooth working speeds, so I think I will hold off on going to single speed for now. The rim seems to be pretty decent, and I was told it'd be good for my weight. I don't know much about cassettes but this one is shiny. I like that. I'm unsure about the tire because I haven't gotten to test it on a trail yet, but as far as looks go the treads don't seem very impressive so I'm not sure how it'll ride.

So I checked out the Stan's kit and it seems simple enough, just looks like I'll want to get a bigger front tire before I make the switch. There's my next question: Would any 26" tire fit on my 26" front rim regardless of the other dimension?

Aside from that I guess the only thing I need now is a bash ring or bash guard, can't remember which it's called. I wasn't able to really count the teeth on the middle chain ring but it does say 32 V7 2000 on it which makes me think it has 32. I also haven't figured out how to remove the big chain ring yet or what bash ring/guard I should purchase.

Thanks again for he help, and any other additional info/help would be greatly appreciated. Happy trails.

zebrahum

Monkey
Jun 22, 2005
SL,UT
As long as it's a 26" rim, any 26" tire will fit. There may be a clearance issue with your fork though. Again, probably wouldn't go much over a 2.35 unless you know it'll fit.

And it was kinda hard to figure out, but unless I'm mistaken you have a Truvativ crank on the bike with a 104mm bolt pattern. Which means that bash ring will fit the bolt pattern of your crank. You get the big ring off with the same bolts that hold the middle ring on.

GnarlyPirate

Chimp
Jun 10, 2009
Hartford, CT
Okay cool. I'll probably stick with the 2.1 in the front and the 2.3 in the back for now until I get a good couples rides on them.

As for the crank that is what I have and I did manage to get the big chain ring off. I tried to bang it flat with a hammer but it was just too bent and had too many worn down and broken teeth so I tossed it.

It looks like until I get my bash ring I will have to throw some washers on the bolts to keep the middle chain ring from wobbling. Is this necessary or is the play insignificant enough not to worry about it? Thanks.

zebrahum

Monkey
Jun 22, 2005
SL,UT
It's necessary, if you don't you'll probably run into the chain derailing. It's best to keep it from moving, and it will also keep it from getting bent from the chain being able to twist the ring under pressure. Probably not likely, but possible.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
i've been running a bashring on my xc bike for 4 years now. I never used the big ring for anything other than pedaling down a road. I never ride my xc bike on the road. And yeah, i kept hitting the big ring on everything too. including the back of my knee. Got a good scar out of that one.

GnarlyPirate

Chimp
Jun 10, 2009
Hartford, CT
I have my bash ring on my bike now, but not before I did a little bit of damage to my middle chain ring first. I didn't hit it on anything, but it did indeed warp slightly and I think it would be from the chain but I'm not sure. Still seems to work fine so I am happy.

About a week ago my rear brake got ****ed up and kept rubbing against one side of my rims creating a lot of resistance. Today my new avid bb7 brakes just came in and I'm goign to install them once I'm done working. Can't wait to try them out.

Yeah Leppah, I have a nice shark bite lookign scar on my calf as well. But it's on the wrong leg ;) I somehow wrecked and had my bike fall to the right and i fell to the left but staying entangled the whole time.

zebrahum

Monkey
Jun 22, 2005
SL,UT
You either hit something with your middle ring, or you shifted under pressure. Make sure you ease up on pedal pressure when you change gears and your stuff will last way longer.