Quantcast

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I really like Spartan by David Mamet. It is about a Special Forces operator involved with the kidnapping of the President's daughter.

He has a certain use of dialog, opaque and mysterious, and I think it suits the Special Forces world where everything is secret.

I also like The Unit, which is the TV version of this movie.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Ran is an excellent one.

I like the idea of communication and organization on the battlefield. Most war movies it is like "attack" and that's it.

Communication is probably the most critical aspect of battles next to firing guns.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Ran is awesome.

Saw a new one by Herzog recently: Rescue Dawn

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Letters from Iwo Jima

and i always watch this when it is showing on tele:

'Breaker' Morant

Tora! Tora! Tora!

Last edited:

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Agree on Apocalypse Now....absolute classic. Also Letters from Iwo Jima. Great flick that was sympathetic to all. Eastwood makes some good flicks. Bridges of Madison County excepted...

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
:stupid:

watch "In Harm's Way", and then tell me about Pearl Harbor.
i suppose Tora! Tora! Tora! spoiled me on Pearl Harbor movies...

i thought Pearl Harbor was more of a chick type war flick. i have it in my collect but havent viewed is since it went to video.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
The Burmese Harp

(if you've seen this film, you'll know how much it influenced Letters from Iwo Jima)

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I liked Midway but it would have been greatly improved if they had left out the love story between the Wildcat pilot Adm's son and the Japanese interment chick.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF

The Losers, the true story about how a biker gang attacks a VC compound in Cambodia with machine guns mounted on Harleys and buggys.

I think it won 5 Academy Awards and the Nobel Peace Prize for showing the futility of the Vietnam War if it can inspire a piece of **** like this.