Quantcast

Warning Bike content - Bar Ends

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I haven't used bar ends in probably 15 years. I picked up a Big Top for XC riding and after doing a quick 20 mile road ride on it I have come to realize that I need more hand positions. I was starting to get serious pain in the heel of my palm well into the ride, and had no way to alleviate that by changing hand position. I know that I need to raise my bars to get more weight back over my hips, but I still need to do something for my hands.

I currently have standard lock-on grips, with no bar ends. I am looking at the mid-mount bar ends like the Cane Creek Ergo Control. Has anybody used these vs the traditional bar end? Do you find that the extension behind the bar adds control?

I also came across the ergo/bar end combo grips like the Ergon GR2. Every time I have used a shaped grip it felt weird to me, but if they really work I could get used to them. has anybody used them? Do they affect your control my not being a standard grip shape?

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Good point. I have pretty much only ridden Easton bars for the last few years and my new bike has Truvativ, which probably have a different sweep.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Good point. I have pretty much only ridden Easton bars for the last few years and my new bike has Truvativ, which probably have a different sweep.
sunlines are one of my all time favs, but if i don't have them angled right then i get a weird tingly sensation in my fingertips.

worth a shot at least - its quick a quick adjustment and won't cost you anything

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I'm probably going with the Ergon's then, given that I am in the lottery for Leadville and will be doing a LOT of climbing.

C.P.

Monkey
Jan 18, 2004
SouthEastern Massachusetts
Not a big fan myself, but a few friends have switched out their typical mtb bars on their xc rigs for bars with lots of sweep. some swear by them for eliminating wrist pain...me not so much...
There are a bunch of these bars to choose from, Google is your friend:

Misfit Psycles FUbar and FU2bar

On-One Mary (and Fleegle)

Salsa ProMoto 17deg

Surly Torsion bar

Groovy Cycle Works Luv Handle

Titec H-bars

Jones H Bars

BOS (Bikes on Snow) FloWing

I'm sure I missed a few...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
When I was dealing with lingering wrist and hand injuries Titec Hellbents were the only thing that allowed me to ride. Have never been a fan of Ergons, they limit the angle that I can grab the bar which I change when shifting my COG for climbing. Forget the name but I like those foam grips, they are thicker on one side which allows you to dial in a comfy grip.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I'll check the sweep on my bars, but I've ridden Easton for almost 15 years with no issues. With the exemption of when I was riding for Truvativ, I never had any hand issues. Hopefully the Easton + Ergon will help.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I haven't used bar ends in probably 15 years. I picked up a Big Top for XC riding and after doing a quick 20 mile road ride on it I have come to realize that I need more hand positions. I was starting to get serious pain in the heel of my palm well into the ride, and had no way to alleviate that by changing hand position. I know that I need to raise my bars to get more weight back over my hips, but I still need to do something for my hands.

I also came across the ergo/bar end combo grips like the Ergon GR2. Every time I have used a shaped grip it felt weird to me, but if they really work I could get used to them. has anybody used them? Do they affect your control my not being a standard grip shape?

I was getting similar issues. For the past 4-5 years I've been using the following combo:
Ergon "regular" grips (ie, not bar end integrated) and a pair of these... http://www.jensonusa.com/Bar-Ends/Singletrack-St-Lites-Bar-Ends

It took a little while to get used to the ergon grips, but now I dont even notice them and I have just as much grip control as before.

As for the bar ends seperate, I personally think that is better. Or at leas using these is better. I really like having some bar-end that goes behind the bars as well as in front. Makes it a lot easier to have your hands on them as you crank out of the saddle bc your hands are still in-line wiht the bar. EDIT: In fact thinking about it, I use the hands on the bar ends for the majority of the "out of the saddle" climbing I do (unless it is super short). It really allows you better open arm positioning and the ability to really "crank" with your arms and/or rock the bars back and forth.

The best part of the use of these stubby bar ends is that they do not catch on branches at all, BUT they have still saved me from quite a few broken fingers when the bar end hits a rock/tree instead of my pinky finger. :thumb:

Last edited:

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I was getting similar issues. For the past 4-5 years I've been using the following combo:
Ergon "regular" grips (ie, not bar end integrated) and a pair of these... http://www.jensonusa.com/Bar-Ends/Singletrack-St-Lites-Bar-Ends
I tried those bar ends for a while and liked them okay. They were comfortable enough, light and were probably better than standard bar ends in terms of how hard you can grip them and move around a bit.

One problem I had with them is that the shape was not totally comfortable in my palm- not a big deal, but not great. But, more importantly, I switched to a wider bar with more sweep (Salsa ProMoto, I think 12 degree). The holes for the bar are perpendicular to the axis of the bar end itself. So, on a bar with a good amount of sweep, they seem to flare out quite a bit, which looks funny and is not very comfortable. I replaced them with these and have been happy: http://www.jensonusa.com/Dimension-Stubs-Bar-Ends

They work well and are more comfortable, but I would also say that the ones I had before (similar to Cane Creek, but more minimalist) gave more control- I'd be more confident with those, say, standing up on more technical terrain.

One more thing is that if you are getting pain in your palms, bar ends may help, but bar setup, grip choice and the amount of sweep are probably more important than bar ends. Getting more hand positions just means less time in a hand position that is causing you pain, but shouldn't.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
GT had either a Outpost or a Tequesta that came with a bar like that. They also came with a huge ass cover grip thing that would instantly get damaged after your first crash. I must have fixed 100's of those grips. I fed and clothed my self with the money I earned doing that. All was good...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
will you be consulting with SS as to what lycra shorts to wear?

or pantaloons.

Last edited:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
You don't get to cash the bonus points in until you're on your deathbed... and at that point you will receive total consciousness.
enough bonus points gets you a return trip . . . though, if you only barely cover that amount, you have to travel back on stand-by, and they run your body through the baggage compartment.