Quantcast

Warning...bike content. Patching tubeless setups?

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I wasn't running enough pressure over a really rocky section yesterday and got a small cut in the sidewall right next to the rim. This is the first flat I've really had on tubeless. Anyone used a patch inside the tire and refilled with stans? The stans sealed enough to get back, but I want to avoid future issues. The cuts nit very big, maybe 1/16".

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
My buddy bought a Patchboy Electric Vulcanizer and the patches to go with it. Juries still out on how well it works....

RoboDonkey713

Monkey
Feb 24, 2011
Maine
I have patched many cut sidewalls on tubeless tires. I rough it up and use a clamp to hold the patch tight to the tires while it dries. Have had no failures so far.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Patching near the bead can be challenging. During the manufacturing process the molds are sprayed with a release agent that stays with the tire. As Angus mentioned clean this off with fine sandpaper and a solvent that will evaporate when done.

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
I've patched my hutchinsons sidewalls with a piece of old tube, some rubber cement, and this

Make sure to put some rubber cement in the actual split followed by the ghetto patch. Clamp for 24hrs.

Last I punctured the sidewall and did this repair was about 3 months ago. Been solid and leak free since.

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
I've tried patching ust maxxis tires. The only thing that kinda worked was superglue and I tried quite a few different approaches.. gorilla glue/tape, shoe goo, goop, tire car patch, etc.

They all fell off except for the superglue although I probably didn't do that great of a job roughing the surfaces. I did clean them pretty well with rubbing alcohol however.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I have used regular patches and glue on Michelin tires and they have been holding up fine even with Stans. I have done this on the sidewall (tire itself pinch flatted on the rim) and on the tread. I made sure to fill the holes with glue on the outside as well.