Quantcast

Warning

Feb 25, 2005
seattle, wa
So my sister-in-law works for the USFS over in the Wenatchee/Entiat District. The other night, she told me of a guy in her office who befriended a group of riders and got himself invited to ride some "secret" trails that were on Forest Service land. The trails had ladders, bridges and other man made stunts. Anyhoo, this guy found these trails so fun that he reported them to the powers that be and had them plowed. I don't know the guy's name (although if I find it out, I would have no problem calling him out) nor do I know what/where the trail was. I just thought I'd pass this along as a warning to be careful who you take along to you favorite secret spot. Peace

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Should be callin' out the mo-rons that invited a ranger on a secret stash ride.

I have a feeling they won't be growing up to be rocket surgeons...

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
Borneo said:
Should be callin' out the mo-rons that invited a ranger on a secret stash ride.

I have a feeling they won't be growing up to be rocket surgeons...
Do really think they would have done that had they known he was a ranger? Do you know the occupation of every person you've ever ridden with? If the situation were reversed you'd probably feel like crap, as I'm sure they do, so why not give 'em the benefit of the doubt that they really didn't know what he was up to?

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
I know something about everyone I show a secret stash to...

Usually, in these situations,(and, I am generalizing) the builders are so excited to show anyone what they've created that they get a bit out of control and common sense is no longer so common.
Or, in this situation, these guys didn't know that it was such a big deal(newbies, maybe?) and thought this guy with the FS would "appreciate" the trails as they do.
Or, there's someone else out there who's even more PO'd than we are because their stash was "outed" by people who did not know better to keep it on the down low...

Yes, there are variables here...

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
anyone ever taken a look at this?
http://www.imba.com/resources/agencies/usfs_memo.html
It's the memo of understanding between the FS at the national level, and IMBA, to support mountain biking. Problem is, the info hasn't always trickled down to the local level of FS management. This is where you come in.
As slow moving as the wheels of advocacy can be, I encourage you to get involved, be part of the solution especially when it comes to stunt building etc. There's very low representation of the FR/DH scene in the mountain biking advocacy community, which is really too bad. All the energy spent complaining "wah, they tore down illegal trail x" could be better spent working to get some legal trails in. There are plenty of templates for success.

geargrrl

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
Wonder if that was last year or this year when the trails were torn out. I heard a little different version from someone in Leavenworth. The other version is that last year there werent any fires so looking for something to do the FS decided to take out all the stuff that was built. I also remember seeing a picture of one of the stunts in a bike mag. It didnt say where it was but if you lived in Entiat you would know the location.