Quantcast

Warranty on Manufacturer-direct Sales

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
So how are contracts and the T&C's generally setup between say the frame and the component manufacturers? Are there boilerplate provisions or protections in place for a "bike" company since they are heavily reliant on the overall quality and function of a secondary parties parts? Do these general contractual protections not exist for some reason? I wouldn't be comfortable OEM spec'ing parts without a reasonably fair contract. Perhaps the major suppliers are so large relatively to most everyone else that it's kind of a take it or leave it deal?

If it is perhaps the latter, then are there corporate insurance products or ones that could be created to protect a 'bike' company from the fallout and costs associated with what I suppose I'll call 'bad' product? Likewise could a shop purchase something similar to protect themselves if manufacturers, both bike and component, are leaving them in a lurch?

I'm genuinely curious how common some of this is in the cycling world since it is reasonably standard fair in other walks of business. Perhaps it's similar to how everyone else operates? Larger and prudent component, bike, and shop businesses consider these things and others neglect too at the cost of increased risk to themselves and collateral that could affect the consumers?

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
@mtg

Let's ask someone who's familiar with this.
No problem. It's certainly a grey area and can use some refinement as things change. At GG, our first priority is to make sure the customer gets taken care of. Most of the time, we handle the warranty claim work for the customer on components. In some cases, like pointed out already, it can be faster for the customer to deal with the component company directly. Also as pointed out, sometimes things just need to be adjusted by a professional mechanic. In that case, we pay a customer's LBS to adjust/fix something, etc. Essentially, there are multiple ways to make sure the customer gets taken care of, and with a little common sense, things get sorted.

This has also influenced the components used in the GG build kits. There have been a few components removed from the spec lists due to excessive warranty needs. For example, dropper posts are notorious for needing cartridges replaced or rebuilt, which is mostly the reason the Bike Yoke Revive was added to the spec. It complicated things to add an additional supplier for only one higher end component, but riders spend more time riding and less time fixing shit because of it.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
It’s pretty much just suspension, dropper and maybe brakes that are of real concern here, right?

For all of those I would definitely prefer to send troublesome units to the manufacturer of the components rather than an LBS or a frame maker (I mean frame designer, I mean frame marketer). I don’t think there’s a local shop that I’d trust with even a brake bleed.

I haven’t had to deal with YT on any of this with my bike yet, but would certainly contact them first to maybe get me a Rockshox RMA or otherwise help with the initial contact. I don’t see how adding a second shipping leg would help.

PS - wracking my brain and I don’t think I’ve ever warranteed a MTB component.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
PS - wracking my brain and I don’t think I’ve ever warranteed a MTB component.
What, are you new to bikes?
Off the top of my head, Atomlab pedals, Spesh pedals X2, Kowa suspsensoin crowns and bushings multiple times, Intense frame, Corsair frame plus pivot bolts and idlers, Atomlab handlebar X2, Pro handlebar, Hope Hub Axles, I'd imagine park rats would do ten times my list.

Things companies said they would warranty but I knew I'd just get the same shitty product again so I didn't bother- Durolux fork, Magura brakes X2, Hope Moto V2, Pace suspension fork, Middleburn Cranks X2, Burgtec pedals and probably a bunch more.
I find companies are pretty helpful in sorting warranties directly, distributors, not so much, pretty sure the Intense frame took ten months and the Corsair maybe three or four and arrived cracked from new but o be fair Corsair had changed owners.

vinny4130

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
albuquerque
Outland was bad but likely do how small it was, but I have never worked in a Santa Cruz shop, however currently they still will send parts to us for repairs for dealer cost so I’m a fan without dealing there products.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Pretty much never owned those brands you mention other than some spec pedals that didn’t break and Hope ProII hubs which have been fine.

I started riding lifts/DH in 2006, so missed a lot of the oddball early designs. For instance, I never had a pre-Evil chainguide.

I had my park years. I didnt mean I never broke anything, just that it’s always been due to a lot of use, crashes or roxx smashing.

I got a warrantee deal on a rear triangle from Iron horse but that was a bro hookup / crash replacement not a manufacturing or design flaw.

What, are you new to bikes?
Off the top of my head, Atomlab pedals, Spesh pedals X2, Kowa suspsensoin crowns and bushings multiple times, Intense frame, Corsair frame plus pivot bolts and idlers, Atomlab handlebar X2, Pro handlebar, Hope Hub Axles, I'd imagine park rats would do ten times my list.

Things companies said they would warranty but I knew I'd just get the same shitty product again so I didn't bother- Durolux fork, Magura brakes X2, Hope Moto V2, Pace suspension fork, Middleburn Cranks X2, Burgtec pedals and probably a bunch more.
I find companies are pretty helpful in sorting warranties directly, distributors, not so much, pretty sure the Intense frame took ten months and the Corsair maybe three or four and arrived cracked from new but o be fair Corsair had changed owners.

Last edited: