Quantcast

Warren Buffet is better than Sam Hill!!

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
Buffet is my hero because he seems to be fair. Now maybe it's because he's older and already made his money and want to get into heaven, but either way this is a cool public display.

I don't have anything against the super wealthy who reap benefits of dividends, they should just pair their fair share of taxes. Thoughts??

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/money/tax/article1996735.ece

Buffett blasts system that lets him pay less tax than secretary
Tom Bawden in New York
Warren Buffett, the third-richest man in the world, has criticised the US tax system for allowing him to pay a lower rate than his secretary and his cleaner.

Speaking at a $4,600-a-seat fundraiser in New York for Senator Hillary Clinton, Mr Buffett, who is worth an estimated $52 billion (£26 billion), said: “The 400 of us [here] pay a lower part of our income in taxes than our receptionists do, or our cleaning ladies, for that matter. If you’re in the luckiest 1 per cent of humanity, you owe it to the rest of humanity to think about the other 99 per cent.”

Mr Buffett said that he was taxed at 17.7 per cent on the $46 million he made last year, without trying to avoid paying higher taxes, while his secretary, who earned $60,000, was taxed at 30 per cent. Mr Buffett told his audience, which included John Mack, the chairman of Morgan Stanley, and Alan Patricof, the founder of the US branch of Apax Partners, that US government policy had accentuated a disparity of wealth that hurt the economy by stifling opportunity and motivation.

The comments are among the most signficant yet in a debate raging on both sides of the Atlantic about growing income inequality and how the super-wealthy are taxed.

Related Links
Buffett turns fire on British disclosure
Rich pickings
British get rich quicker than rest of Europe
They echo those made this month by Nicholas Ferguson, one of the leading figures in Britain’s private equity industry, when he criticised tax rates that left its multimillionaire venture capitalists “paying less tax than a cleaning lady”.

Last week senior members of the US Senate proposed to increase the rate of tax that private equity and hedge fund staff pay on their share of the profits, known as carried interest, from the 15 per cent capital gains rate to about 35 per cent.

Lloyd Blankfein, the chief executive of Goldman Sachs, acknowledged in an interview yesterday that there were justified concerns about the huge profits generated by private equity firms and that he worried that income inequality was “poisoning democracy”. He also said that he would be voting for the Democrat candidate at the next election. Mr Blankfein is the highest-paid executive on Wall Street, earning $54 million last year.

Mr Buffett, who runs the investment group Berkshire Hathaway and is widely regarded as the world’s most successful investor, said that he was a Democrat because Republicans are more likely to think: “I’m making $80 million a year – God must have intended me to have a lower tax rate.”

Mr Buffett said that a Republican proposal to eliminate elements of inheritance tax, which raises about $30 billion a year from the assets of about 12,000 rich families, would broaden the disparity between rich and poor. He added that the Republicans would seek to recover lost revenue by increasing taxes for the less prosperous.

He said: “You could take that $30 billion and give $1,000 to 30 million poor families. Or should you favour the 12,000 estates and make 30 million families pay an extra $1,000?”

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
mr buffet - while highly successful - is being dishonest & deceptive. a quick glance at the 2006 tax schedule strongly disagrees w/ warren's claim. he could finagle some numbers & put forth her tax liability approaching 30% for both federal & state, but when merely factoring standard deductions, this position quickly deteriorates.

and how cute of him to invoke God: the ultimate "appeal to authority" argument.
jackass said:
He said: “You could take that $30 billion and give $1,000 to 30 million poor families. Or should you favour the 12,000 estates and make 30 million families pay an extra $1,000?”
binary solutions seem to fail spectacularly when applied to a continuum.

pane-licking mong.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
pane-licking mong.
Please, you know the above quote is not intended to be a doctoral economic thesis; he's just trying to make a point. Do you disagree with the point of his statement - that his EFFECTIVE tax rate is far lower than that of middle and lower-class americans?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
no, especially wrt the lower-class MX watching leaches who set fire to stray cats

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
I noticed most rich people like him "are cheap". I worked at the airport & he didn't do anything for us linemen when he rolled up in his private jet to buy Clayton Mobile homes.
Phillip Fulmer is another big cheapskate. Never tips when you unload his crap & go get his car from the parking lot..! Ridiculous !

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
He made his daughter pay him back $20 for airport parking when she was without cash...

He's a notorious cheapskate.

This may be true, most of the people I know who bitch about money have the most!!

Every political money thread I bitch about how you can make 100K in dividends and be taxed much less that if worked your ass off for that company and made 100K. I just think is should be fair and I'm glad to see some of the super wealthy publicly admit it. Unfortunately we americans are too drunk on TV, fast food and beer to be politically active.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I noticed most rich people like him "are cheap". I worked at the airport & he didn't do anything for us linemen when he rolled up in his private jet to buy Clayton Mobile homes.
Phillip Fulmer is another big cheapskate. Never tips when you unload his crap & go get his car from the parking lot..! Ridiculous !
You don't get rich from giving away money.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
mr buffet - while highly successful - is being dishonest & deceptive. a quick glance at the 2006 tax schedule strongly disagrees w/ warren's claim. he could finagle some numbers & put forth her tax liability approaching 30% for both federal & state, but when merely factoring standard deductions, this position quickly deteriorates.
I'm guessing he's including payroll taxes. After all, she's paying those on her whole income, Buffett's only paying SS tax on the first 90K of that 46 million...