Quantcast

Wars against 'religious extremist'

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Of course, his religious views have nothing to do with it, right?
Hey, you're starting to catch on!

And if America is a majority Christian country, with a commensurate reflection in its armed forces, he still could have been an atheist like me or many I knew in the military, or a Jew, or a Hindu, or a Muslim. And his orders weren't from a fatwah, they were from a military chain of command.

I'm not justifying a mistake or collateral damage, although it's certainly comprehensible. I'm just pointing out the blindingly obvious fact that the US military is not a religious structure, nor is it a collection of religiously-inspired cells dedicated to bringing down other governments and societies from within and without.

You're just not making any valid comparison at all. This blind application of some sort of equivalence is just not accurate.

I'm not a big fan of religion myself, but I won't let that cloud the astonishingly obvious fact that, worldwide, Muslim extremists are far more directly threatening to life and limb than any other religious group on the face of the Earth.

Last edited:

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
more like 65, then we went in and outed the Palistians and replaced it with Jews and called it Israel. since then we have been in the pooper
Well, when we reigned Israel back in the Yom Kippur War, we were less hated, but we completely squandered any good will we gained after that.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
And his orders weren't from a fatwah, they were from a military chain of command.
Which, at the very top, has some bat**** crazy religious people in charge. And will, for the the next four years. It's just going to be a matter of degree.

That same religious bent also filters back into our (almost?) unconditional support for Israel. In some sense, Muslims are right to see it as a religious conflict.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Which, at the very top, has some bat**** crazy religious people in charge. And will, for the the next four years. It's just going to be a matter of degree.

That same religious bent also filters back into our (almost?) unconditional support for Israel. In some sense, Muslims are right to see it as a religious conflict.
Hmmm, some people not known for religious fundamentalism were pretty supportive of Israel, too... Some/lots of zealots might be on that side, but there's plenty of secular support and always has been. Hell, there's a ton of Christian anti-semitism in this country, too. (Or, behind it all, is it just redneck Xtians who want someplace to send the Jews ...?)

I also think you seriously overestimate many American politician's true religious motives. It's a pretty convenient political veneer, but in a lot of cases, I think it has more to do with getting into power by pandering to votes than anything else.

Edit: All in all, thinking of America as a Christian religious political entity because some elected officials are avowedly, forcefully Christian is really a glib point. Even if they make their decisions based on Christian ideology. There is no state-mandated religion and there can't be; there are no religious requirements for participation in politics at the structural level. This is not a theocracy and will never be (unless Al Quaeda wins).

I hate the prospect that our society could be retarded by people who want to religion-ize public schooling. But that still doesn't mean we live in a religous state; we live in a democratic country with a lot of religious people in it.

Last edited:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Hell, there's a ton of Christian anti-semitism in this country, too. (Or, behind it all, is it just redneck Xtians who want someplace to send the Jews ...?)

I also think you seriously overestimate many American politician's true religious motives. It's a pretty convenient political veneer, but in a lot of cases, I think it has more to do with getting into power by pandering to votes than anything else.
No, those redneck Christians needs the Jews to start a nuclear war in the middle east so Jesus can return.

As to the second point, I agree with you, I'm not looking at it from our point of view. I'm looking at it from the point of view of a Muslim who hears it and takes it at face value. It's all fuel to the fire.

It's a little like hearing Ahmadinejad speak and saying we need to invade Iran because he's the next Hitler, or that Chavez is going to be the next Stalin. You and I know those comparisons are specious...but how many Americans believe it? As dumb as I think the average American is, I see no evidence that the average person is the Muslim world is so much more intelligent than us.

KOReric

Chimp
Sep 30, 2007
u people should move to Irag!!!!!!! U people are whats wrong with the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
Posting from Irag right now, the weather is great, and being part of the great colonial Americag empire is wonderful

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
u people should move to Irag!!!!!!! U people are whats wrong with the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
just leave kid

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Is that you, John Wayne?
Who said that? Who the **** said that? Who's the slimy little communist ****, twinkle-toed cocksucker down here who just signed his own death warrant? Nobody, huh? The fairy ****ing godmother said it. Out-****ing-standing! I will PT you all until you ****ing die! I'll PT you until your ***holes are sucking buttermilk!