Quantcast

Washing a sleeping bag

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I only have access to an apartment sized washing machine. Should I wash my summer bag (all artifical insulation) to a larger machine, like in a laundromat?

Carbon Fetish

Monkey
May 6, 2002
Irvine, CA
I from I remember, you should only wash in a front load washer. Top load washers do not evenly displace the fill and the fill could sink to one part of the bag when in the spin cycle.

From Kelty.com
If cleaning at home:

Close zippers and velcro tabs.
Machine wash in front-loading machine or large tub with cold water and mild soap (Ivory Flakes, Woolite, Sport Wash, Etc.). DO NOT use detergents, bleach or fabric softener. DO NOT use an agitator-style, top-loading machine. The agitator could cause damage to shell and insulation not covered under warranty.
Rinse thoroughly in clean water, making absolutely sure that all soap residue is removed from the feathers.
When you are sure that all of the soap residue has been removed, drip dry or tumble dry at a no- heat setting. It may take several hours to completely dry the bag.
Clean tennis balls may be used in the dryer to restore loft.
Check your bag frequently while it is drying.

SYNTHETIC:

DO NOT DRY CLEAN.
Close zippers and velcro tabs.
Machine wash in front-loading machine (DO NOT use an agitator-style, top-loading machine. The agitator could cause damage to shell and insulation not covered under warranty) with cold water and mild soap (Ivory Flakes, Woolite, Sport Wash, Etc.) Not detergents. Do NOT use bleach or fabric softener.
Rinse thoroughly; double rinse if necessary to eliminate soap residue.
Line dry only. DO NOT use a dryer to dry. (Heat in dryer may cause damage to bag not covered by warranty.) Unzip & dry open.
Dryer can be used to fluff bag only, NO HEAT, fluff cycle only.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
I tried washing mine once and it baked the smell in there. I think some mold started growing in it while it hung out to dry.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Carbon Fetish said:
I from I remember, you should only wash in a front load washer. Top load washers do not evenly displace the fill and the fill could sink to one part of the bag when in the spin cycle.

From Kelty.com
:stupid:

Get yo ass to the laundromat!

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
yep you only use the front load. when you use a top load the reciprocating effect of the tumbler inside tears up the insulation and reduces the insulating ability as well as forming as pockets with no insulation in them.

it is ok to bring it home and throw it in the dryer as well you just have to use extremely low heat.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Yeha get one of those gigantic front loaders at the laundromat, and find one that has an extractor. Once you spun all the water out of it, just hang it to dry.