Quantcast

Watch out for those downed trees.

Vulcan

Chimp
Oct 24, 2004
Well, I had a less than enjoyable ride today thanks to a downed tree which was hanging across the trail.

The tree in question is the one closest to where I took the picture. I was coming from the opposite direction and had just cleared that first log pile. I looked down to the seccond pile and just as I started to lift up the front end over the seccond pile I had a close encouted with the said tree. The collision had a sort of sickening crack to it and I just about had my helmet (which fits quite well) knocked off my head. Here are the results...

So, my beloved Giro Havoc is done. (cracks colored red for clarity)

As far as me, I was dizzy for a few minutes and had a nice headache for about 30 min. My neck hurts quite a bit now too. I'm really glad I was wearing a helmet, I can say this is the first time I've ever truely needed one, and it makes wearing one for all these years worth it.

I think I'm going to try to pick up an 05 Giro Xen as a replacement.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Vulcan said:
lol. I bet if I was on a heckler I could have plowed right through that tree. Damn.
If you were on a heckler, the tree, and all the rocks would simply move out of the way for you. Thats how trails work for boutique bikes.

Vulcan

Chimp
Oct 24, 2004
Skookum said:
This is why i bring RPG's on my trail rides. Make sure you also wear protective eyewear as well.
haha... I was wearing some plastic glasses. they actualy got knocked off my face.

BurlyShirley said:
If you were on a heckler, the tree, and all the rocks would simply move out of the way for you. Thats how trails work for boutique bikes.
If I only I had known that.

In all seriousness, the high bb on the Marin is atleast partly to blame (that and my own stupididty), but hey... I like the bike and I didn't have any clearance issues all day.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I have a lovely big scar on my shin from a similar situation, except I was going about 25mph and the tree was hiding by lying on it's side in long grass. I didn't see it until it was about 3 ft away.

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
Do not ride with a foot/pedal in the grass. Even for boutique bikes nothing in the grass moves out of the way.