Quantcast

Watching your stuff roll away...

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
So I am headed back to the US after another tour abroad, as some of you know. In my world, nothing happens quickly, and the current world situation has only further slowed matters. However, I am on the move and spent the week cleaning and clearing my house for the movers. Got rid of a bunch of stuff I no longer needed/wanted/that someone else could use (Forgot how good that feels btw, dont miss any of it and really cant remember what I gave up anyway) and consolidated things into the garage and living room for ease of packing. Movers showed up 2 hours late (Of course...) but set to work and less than 90 minutes later my entire existence here was on board their truck and moving forward to somewhere...hopefully my place in the States.

I have moved no less than 10 times in the past 34 years of my "adult" life. It is always weird to watch your stuff, your gear, your kit, be boxed crated and roll off, away from you.

On one hand, its nerve wracking. My bikes, tools, cds, collected knick knacks and tchotchkes, things that I deemed important enough to hang on to for who knows how many years in some cases, in others hands. The hands of people you just met, don't know their names or sometimes speak their language, who you can assume with some degree of accuracy probably did not grow up dreaming of doing this job and may smell a little, well, funny to your nose.

On the other its amazingly freeing to have at least temporarily, very few possessions. If my stuff disappears, its just stuff. If it ends up in the hands of another, I hope they need it more than I do and put it to productive use. I can get more stuff...besides, I still have my hockey gear. Bringing that on the plane next week.