Quantcast

Water bottles...dumb question

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Have you mixed your H2O with anything? I used to cut a can of Mountain Dew with water for long rides, and that seemed to get the plastic taste out of the new bottles.

Wahoo

Chimp
Feb 12, 2006
The World is my oyster.....
John,

Not yet...I was thinking of just using some Gator Aid...but sometimes you just don't have any w/ you and then you are stuck w/ that crappy plastic taste...Besides, I'm off the Dew...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
how about getting bottles which don't have a plastic taste? I use specialized bottles, and they lack a plastic taste...

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
When (cheap) plastic bottles get hot (or warm even), they get a plastic taste. The best way to reduce this is to use really high molecular weight plastics which is expensive, and hence doesn't happen. (Although that's why Nalgene doesn't taste as bad as Camelback or cheap water bottle). Also some plastics are worse than others. Thermoplastics are (generally) worse than thermosets. PET is good and fairly cheap which is why soda bottles are made from it. You could just use soda bottles.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Fill them with hot water with a teaspoon of baking soda. Let stand over night. You might have to repeat the process a couple times.

Mike

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
I never use "new" water bottles, I only use bottles abandoned by others, mostly from races, I take them home and wash them and then use them, it's my way to help the enviroment.....

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Basically when I'm riding I'm generally nasty and sweaty and thirsty enough that I don't really care about a little plastic flavor to my water. Part of the game as far as I'm concerned.

J

JRB

Echo said:
Basically when I'm riding I'm generally nasty and sweaty and thirsty enough that I don't really care about a little plastic flavor to my water. Part of the game as far as I'm concerned.
:stupid:

J

JRB

SkaredShtles said:
You don't. The not so sensitive reply would be:

Suck it up, Princess.

:D
How would you know??? I figured a good hippie like yourself would just sip out of a stream.

J

JRB

DRB said:
Who would have thunk you could use the intraweb that quick?
Apparently he is not just greased lightnin' on the input of his "output".

J

JRB

SkaredShtles said:
It was a joke about lubrication I used in tandem with your comment to derek. Nevermind - I just say things to make me chuckle, and it worked. No explanation needed.