Quantcast

Water or Cytomax?

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
I've always just carried water when I ride, but this last weekend made me think about carrying some sort of sports drink instead.

I've ridden with this one guy for a couple years and have always had no problem dropping him on any climb. Recently he's started to carry Cytomax in his camelbak. This last weekend we did a 24 mile ride with over 5000 vert feet of climbing and he stuck to my rear wheel the entire time. Not sure if its the drink or not, but his performance has really improved over the last few weeks. Enough to make me think there might be something to this Cytomax stuff.

So, how many of you drink something besides water when you ride?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
If you are not repleneshing the glycogen in your muscles you will slow down during a ride. If this was happening to your friend the carbs in the Cytomax certainly could have made him faster.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
SkaredShtles said:
Maybe your performance is going downhill whilst his is staying the same? :sneaky:
Maybe you're just too damn smart for your own good :eviltongu

Yes, that probably has something to do with it, but as short as 3 weeks ago I was dropping him like a sack of dirt. Then, all of a sudden, BAM there he was on my rear wheel, suckin down his blasted Cytomax...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
It's important for me to maintain a steady sugar level, so I use a diluted energy drink that gives a nice slow drip throughout the ride. Helps prevent the spiking and crashing that I get if I just use water then eat something now and then. There are a lot of things that could have helped this guy stick to your wheel, hard to say if it's the drink alone. Getting dropped consistently by a riding pal can be enough motivation.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
pixelninja said:
Maybe you're just too damn smart for your own good :eviltongu

Yes, that probably has something to do with it, but as short as 3 weeks ago I was dropping him like a sack of dirt. Then, all of a sudden, BAM there he was on my rear wheel, suckin down his blasted Cytomax...
I used to be near the front of the pack. Then after the 2nd kid was born I was wiping up the rear. Now with 3 liddle boys I've become comfortable in my position as "the slow dude" :thumb:

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
OGRipper said:
It's important for me to maintain a steady sugar level, so I use a diluted energy drink that gives a nice slow drip throughout the ride. Helps prevent the spiking and crashing that I get if I just use water then eat something now and then.
That's kinda what I was thinking, and it makes sense to have a steady flow of carbs.

Here's another question for you...do you have to take more care to clean out your camelbak? Right now I simply empty the extra water out and let it air dry.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
pixelninja said:
That's kinda what I was thinking, and it makes sense to have a steady flow of carbs.

Here's another question for you...do you have to take more care to clean out your camelbak? Right now I simply empty the extra water out and let it air dry.
Good God yes. That $hit'll mold and crap. Do yourself a favor and carry a water bottle full of drink and keep the camelback for just water.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Cytomax is too sickening sweet, but I do use something in addition to water. I like Smart Fuel and there is something to be said for that because I am ONE PICKY SOB!

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
I put Accelerade in my camelback once for a long ride. It did keep me fueled up, but I was still thirsty. I've started carrying a bottle of accelerade if I'm going to need it and just go back and forth. But, I'm weird compared to everyone I ride with, I drink a lot of water when I'm riding.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Water with Elete electrolyte mix. For endurance races I also carry some gatorade, I paln to mix in a glutamine supplement next time. I also eat a little and shoot GU.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
SkaredShtles said:
I used to be near the front of the pack. Then after the 2nd kid was born I was wiping up the rear. Now with 3 liddle boys I've become comfortable in my position as "the slow dude" :thumb:
If you are now the slow dude that makes me the slower than slugs. THANKS A LOT!! :nuts:

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Morryjg said:
If you are now the slow dude that makes me the slower than slugs. THANKS A LOT!! :nuts:
Both Charlie (the guy I'm refering to in this post) and I were feeling pretty good about ourselves on the way back to the trailhead last weekend. We had one more hill to climb and then it was all downhill. As we were stopped waiting for our other friend to catch up, along comes this guy heading west. We casually ask if he's headed "to the top".

"No" he replies, "I'm heading back to Copper."
"BACK to Copper?" We ask.
"Yeah." he says, "I'm trying to get in 120 miles today."

Me -> :eek: :eek: <-Charlie

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
pixelninja said:

Yes, you definitely need to clean it more. I also end up replacing my resevoirs more often. It's worth it for me. The idea of a separate bottle of sports drink makes sense on the cleanliness front, but I don't have bottle cages on any of my mountain bikes anymore.

The key for me is to dilute pre-made drinks, or use less powder if you are mixing your own - I find that a nice slow drip really helps on longer rides. Full strength is just too much unless it's a short, intense ride, but I don't eat or drink a lot of sugary sweet stuff. I've used Gatorade, Revenge, Cytomax, GU20, and probably some others that I don't remember right now. I can't really tell the difference, but I can definitely tell the difference between any of them and water.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
for my rides that are under 2 hours I mostly syay with just 2 24oz of water and a clifshot at the 1 hr mark.
after that I use my camelback filled with ice water and I freezer a waterbottle filled with orange-bananna-strawberry orange juice. Just about the time I need some energy , its nice and slushy waiting for me in my holder

J

JRB

Water in the camelback. Sometimes I carry a bottle of accelerade on the dirt. Always water and accelerade on the road.

Morryjg said:
I put Accelerade in my camelback once for a long ride. It did keep me fueled up, but I was still thirsty. I've started carrying a bottle of accelerade if I'm going to need it and just go back and forth. But, I'm weird compared to everyone I ride with, I drink a lot of water when I'm riding.[/QUOTE
That is because you don't drink enough before you ride.