Quantcast

Water wells???

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
Educate me! Is 1 gallon per minute of recharge (642' deep, 60' static level) sufficient for a 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath home? Wells are new to me and it's got my head spinning. Thanks!

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
What's a decent standard then? I just read that 100G per day, per person is a good amount. Anyone else?

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
it all depends on how much water you use per day how big your storage tank is and how much it costs to keep the well pump running.

moot point if you use more than 60 gallons per hour all day long....another reason to not have a water sucking lawn

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
all your fixtures are rated for their water consumption do the math, do you want to wait for washing machine to fill before you can shower?

what is the water quality some dirtbags will pour chlorine down well a few hours before they take sample to make it pass?

if this is a new purchase the bank will require a home inspection, never use the inspector the real estate agent recommends

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Educate me! Is 1 gallon per minute of recharge (642' deep, 60' static level) sufficient for a 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath home? Wells are new to me and it's got my head spinning. Thanks!
Wow that is a deep well. By 60' static level do you mean the water is usually 60' from the top? What diameter is the well casing? That refill rate sounds about average.

all your fixtures are rated for their water consumption do the math, do you want to wait for washing machine to fill before you can shower?

what is the water quality some dirtbags will pour chlorine down well a few hours before they take sample to make it pass?
Having a deep well like the OP mentioned means lots of water storage. The only time he should ever have to wait for the well to refill is if it ran dry during times of drought. But yes, it is generally not a good idea to use multiple water sucking devices at the same time on a well. Regarding water quality, IMO any home on a well should have a water treatment system of some kind. This is something else to look for when buying a house.

If it's not enough for peak load, our well has a tank that fills constantly so that when you need to take a shower the water's there.
This is generally a good idea. While the well itself provides water storage, a secondary tank in the house/basement will provide extra capacity for days with lots of water usage or times of drought.