Quantcast

Waterford Crystal (sp?)

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Looks like glass to me. I dont get it. Why the hell is it worth so much?

First wedding gift from super rich guy. Father of the Mayor apparently. I've never met him and actually wonder why he sent in a gift because I didn't send an invite to him.

Anyway, we got a big glass waterford crystal frame from him. WTF is this stuff made of other than glass?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
it's glass, but w/ some lead i believe and possibly other materials. i drove by the factory in co. waterford but didn't go inside. i'm sure they have decent reasons for their prices, but i haven't a clue as to the mfg process.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Just imagine if you would have actually invited him to your wedding? I bet he would have hooked you up real nice! Let this be a lesson, make sure you invite every rich person you know to your wedding...

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
blt2ride said:
Just imagine if you would have actually invited him to your wedding? I bet he would have hooked you up real nice! Let this be a lesson, make sure you invite every rich person you know to your wedding...
I dont know him, thats the thing. I know OF him. I wouldnt even know how to get an invitation to him if I wanted to. I think my parents had something to do with it.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
golgiaparatus said:
Looks like glass... feels like glass... Whats the point? Is it stronger than glass?
Goodness....think of it in bike terms....

That Huffy looks like a bike feels like a bike...yada yada...

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
golgiaparatus said:
Looks like glass... feels like glass... Whats the point? Is it stronger than glass?
As far as I know, functionality has nothing to do with it. Kinda like fine China. I never really got the point. Do you eat off it or not?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Come on, you know better than that. Looks like a bike, rides like a bike, so why is it $3000 instead of $250?

edit: Oops, snacks beat me to that point.

Stuben is another crystal manufacturer. They make some amazing stuff. Crystal is much heavier than glass, and contains somewhere between 25% and 30% if I remember correctly, and the lead content causes the crystal to be much clearer than glass - most glass, especially the thicker it is, is tinted, usually green or yellow. The crystal is also less brittle than glass.

On top of that, the Waterford frame is handmade by crystal artists, not stamped out of some mold.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
sunny said:
As far as I know, functionality has nothing to do with it. Kinda like fine China. I never really got the point. Do you eat off it or not?
Don't fool yourself, many of our bike obsessions have little to do with functionality. Much of it is about art - many people would take a Ti frame over an Al frame, simply because it's Ti. My Thomson stem isn't any more functional than the Titec one it replaced (besides being stiffer), but I can appreciate a nicely machined piece of metal.

Good beer or wine doesn't get you drunker than cheap beer or wine, but some people appreciate the subtleties of certain subjects.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Snacks said:
Goodness....think of it in bike terms....

That Huffy looks like a bike feels like a bike...yada yada...
Its not like it has welds to compare, or machined dropouts or components. Nor do you do anything with it that will test its durability. It just hangs on the wall and looks exactly like the $5 glass frame that you buy at wal mart.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
The Discovery of Lead Crystal

In 1676, an Englishman named George Ravenscroft made a discovery, that by adding lead to the glass that a far more brilliant sparkle was achieved.

The raw materials for making glass consist mainly of silica (sand). To melt the sand to make glass, the furnace has to reach a temperature of approximately 3,600°F (1,982°C). Because of the presence of iron in sand, glass with a greenish colour mostly results. So only sand of exceptional purity, white sand, is sought. In Ireland , this white sand is mainly sourced in the Wicklow mountains.

In 1676, an Englishman named George Ravenscroft discovered that by adding lead oxide to the glass composition, a far more brilliant, sparkling glass could be produced than had ever been made before. Lead crystal has now been born.

Besides the highly refractive appearance of lead crystal, this newly discovered glass was also much softer than regular glass, due to the properties of lead. This new softness made it easier to cut.

The maximum lead content is 33%. However, 33% lead crystal requires a lot of skill in forming a shape at the blowing stage. So, lesser percentage lead content is often used, although the same sparkle is not achieved. Ireland though, has maintained a reputation world-wide for its skilled blowing of 33% lead crystal.

To retain the sparkle, gently wash in warm water with a light detergent. Rinse also in warm water, dry and polish. Please be careful as most breakages occur during cleaning. Sudden temperature changes will crack your crystal. Never use a dishwasher, as this will dull the glass. Use a baby bottle brush for awkward pieces.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
binary visions said:
Come on, you know better than that. Looks like a bike, rides like a bike, so why is it $3000 instead of $250?

edit: Oops, snacks beat me to that point.

Stuben is another crystal manufacturer. They make some amazing stuff. Crystal is much heavier than glass, and contains somewhere between 25% and 30% if I remember correctly, and the lead content causes the crystal to be much clearer than glass - most glass, especially the thicker it is, is tinted, usually green or yellow. The crystal is also less brittle than glass.

On top of that, the Waterford frame is handmade by crystal artists, not stamped out of some mold.

Not to nit pick but it is actually Steuben. I only know that because I drive by it all the time. Steuben is actually part of Corning Inc. and every piece is hand made by one of the local artists. Not too many big companies would bother to keep such a small division going. Seeing the artists work absolutely blows your mind with the things they can do.

Take a look at the website, steuben.com pretty amazing stuff.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Mike B. said:
Not to nit pick but it is actually Steuben. I only know that because I drive by it all the time. Steuben is actually part of Corning Inc. and every piece is hand made by one of the local artists. Not too many big companies would bother to keep such a small division going. Seeing the artists work absolutely blows your mind with the things they can do.
Oops :o:. I knew it didn't look right but I didn't bother to look it up.

You're right, their work is amazing. I've been to the Corning facility where the Steuben glass is made many times and if anyone ever has the time to go and especially if you can take the tour, it's worth it. Fantastic work. That website can't even begin to do the glass justice. This was one of my favorites when I visited.

Anyway... I agree with narlus. If, for you, the Waterford serves the exact same purpose as a $5 Wal-Mart frame, then sell it and buy a $5 Wal-Mart frame. Use the proceeds to buy something that you will enjoy.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
narlus said:
it's glass, but w/ some lead i believe and possibly other materials. i drove by the factory in co. waterford but didn't go inside. i'm sure they have decent reasons for their prices, but i haven't a clue as to the mfg process.
Nice. We rode a bus past the factory in Waterford, but like you, didn't stop. We went to Clonmel instead. :p

J

JRB

Did you get married??? What the hell did I miss???

*I drove through Tulsa yesterday and flipped you the bird. :D

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
SkaredShtles said:
Nice. We rode a bus past the factory in Waterford, but like you, didn't stop. We went to Clonmel instead. :p
it was on our way down to where we stayed in waterford, near dungarven i believe.

i worked w/ a guy from Clonmel who was fairly anti-american. stoner, too. strange dude.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
golgi - you know plenty of people could just buy thier secretaries a copy of Pagemaker and do their own brochures and logos and stuff, but aren't the ones you design so much better and worth the price? and before you get into it, remember that your average duchebag middle-management marketing tool can NOT tell the difference between something you produce and a crayon drawing.

but hey, crystal? kind of a weird present. a kind thought, but seriously... crystal? is that what rich people buy each other? :D

Gusitar

Chimp
Sep 13, 2001
golgiaparatus said:
Looks like glass to me. I dont get it. Why the hell is it worth so much?

First wedding gift from super rich guy. Father of the Mayor apparently. I've never met him and actually wonder why he sent in a gift because I didn't send an invite to him.

Anyway, we got a big glass waterford crystal frame from him. WTF is this stuff made of other than glass?
Did you get your gal a diamond or cubic zircon? The answer is always in the question.

J

JRB

OGRipper said:
You guys are all confused. Waterford is made in the old Schwinn Paramount factory, and they are steel. :p
I saw a bunch of roadies on them in Indiana.