Quantcast

Waterproof cast....ever had one?

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
So I have to go back to the doctor tomorrow to get re-casted. I got mine yesterday and they screwed it up. I almost got a waterproof one yesterday, but decided not to.

I've never had one, but HATE the nasty grimy grossness the cotton gets after about 3 days. The waterproof ones don't have that, so i'm assuming its easier to keep clean?

also, I forgot how big of a pain in the arse it is to bag it up in the shower!

clokstar

Chimp
Aug 16, 2006
Moncton
When I had mine not to long ago I had to bag mine everytime I had a shower too. It was kind of a hassle but if the cast gets wet it will stay wet and therfor you're skin will stay wet which will result the falling off of skin. As my doctor would put it. Hes a cool guy.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
BigMike said:
So I have to go back to the doctor tomorrow to get re-casted. I got mine yesterday and they screwed it up. I almost got a waterproof one yesterday, but decided not to.

I've never had one, but HATE the nasty grimy grossness the cotton gets after about 3 days. The waterproof ones don't have that, so i'm assuming its easier to keep clean?

also, I forgot how big of a pain in the arse it is to bag it up in the shower!
what is wrong with your cast? too much laundry detergent or what?

benno

Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
BigMike said:
The waterproof one will be worse - they don't breathe well at all.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I had a Gore-Tex cast when I broke my hand a couple years ago. It was great, I could shower with it on and it never got that stinky moldyness that other casts get. I had to pay $10 because my insurance wouldn't cover the extra cost. It was worth it.

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
They really don't work worth a damn.

They're more waterproof, but not impervious to water by any means. I'd just get the regular cast and suck it up. You could even cut it off early if you're dumb like me.

benno

Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
BigMike said:
How can it be worse than 2 layers of cotton and 4 layers of fiberglass? :clue:
Uh, 1 layer of unbreathable, slimy plastic bubblewrap and 4 layers of fiberglass?

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Invest in one of the specific bags made for casts in the shower.

They have a thick, clear plastic boot that covers the limb casted. The bag molds into a plastic ring that has a rubber gasket inside. When you slide the limb/cast through the rubber gasket, it makes a pretty good seal against your skin. I used one of these to ride my motorcycle 400+ miles in the pouring rain, and my foot didn't even get wet or cold. In the shower, the thing works great. Definitely get one no matter what kind of cast you get.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
bikenweed said:
Invest in one of the specific bags made for casts in the shower.

They have a thick, clear plastic boot that covers the limb casted. The bag molds into a plastic ring that has a rubber gasket inside. When you slide the limb/cast through the rubber gasket, it makes a pretty good seal against your skin. I used one of these to ride my motorcycle 400+ miles in the pouring rain, and my foot didn't even get wet or cold. In the shower, the thing works great. Definitely get one no matter what kind of cast you get.
or the ghetto version: bread bag and duct tape... just dont forget to shave the portion of your arm that you tape!