Quantcast

Waterproof frame materials

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I was in Portland this weekend, and surprise, surprise, I got rained on.

Now I get spoiled in the Bay Area with dry weather, but what is the best material for a wet-weather frame?

I would think it is aluminum, since it doesn't rust. Is carbon affected by water? And I know steel frames do fine if you treat them with anti-rust proofing, but over time I would imagine rust gets in them.

Jimmysal

Monkey
Mar 26, 2010
Vermont
Carbon frames with metallic components can fall victim to galvanic corrosion as well. It depends on the relative sizes of the anode and cathode, surface areas, and the type of metal.

No free lunches. If you care about it, coat it.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Ti for the win. Mooshoo is actually right.
It can't corrode in any atmosphere you will find that won't kill you.
Antisieze it your friend though, or else you alminum post will stick.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Ti for the win!!! That response was actually meant to be a little sarcastic. This question is on the stupid side coming from sanjuro, he has a seven road bike, and had a seven hard tail. I have heard many a rant from sanjuros mouth about the benefits of Ti, including the fact that it doesn't corrode

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Unless you're riding your bike in the ocean any frame material will be fine for their intended purpose. It's a fvcking bicycle.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Unless you're riding your bike in the ocean any frame material will be fine for their intended purpose. It's a fvcking bicycle.
I agree. I asked a guy once if the bike I was considering was ok to ride on a trainer since there is the notion of trainers cracking bikes. He scoofed. It's a bike, use it up.
Think about it. It's not like they hold any value if you keep them pristine. You might as well wear them out and have fun doing it.

I did have a customer come in every spring and fall in Seattle and have us switch all the parts off of her summer frame and put them on her winter frame. Her summer frame was her nice custom Ti, and the winter bike was an older custom steel. We tried to explain her flawed logic but in the end, we took her money.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My truck has been in Oregon it's whole life and only has minimal rust after 46 years. I think your bike frame would be ok in most any material.