Quantcast

Waterproof gear

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I would like to get some gear that is truly waterproof, yet still somewhat aero. I would buy Shower's Pass gear since they're local, but their jackets are bulky and I hate that feeling when riding. I was thinking about the Capo Limited Edition jacket:
http://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/capo-limited-edition-jacket

and the Shower's Pass Roadie pant:
http://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/showers-pass-roadie-pant

Does anyone have experience with either? Are they any good? Any other recommendations?

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
I can only recommend what I know.

I have Gore Ultra pants and a Gore (I think a Countdown) Jacket. Combined with shoe covers, only my head gets wet when it rains. Since Oct/Nov, I have wore this stuff almost every day without complaints of comfort or functionality.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I can only recommend what I know.

I have Gore Ultra pants and a Gore (I think a Countdown) Jacket. Combined with shoe covers, only my head gets wet when it rains. Since Oct/Nov, I have wore this stuff almost every day without complaints of comfort or functionality.
Does having baggy pants bother you when you ride? I always hate it because the wind around here can get pretty bad. I was hoping for either a tight, or something tighter. Gore's jackets do look nice...and dry :)

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Years ago I purchased a full waterproof kit from CraftUSA - Bullet rain pants and similar jacket in bright yellow. Both worked very well but the pants were not comfortable in a fast spin. In order not to chafe I had to wear a full length base layer and would end up overheating in 10 minutes. I eventually gave up on the idea that I had to be dry to be comfortable - I wore the waterproof top and black bottom full length bibs.

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Does having baggy pants bother you when you ride? I always hate it because the wind around here can get pretty bad. I was hoping for either a tight, or something tighter. Gore's jackets do look nice...and dry :)
They don't really flap or make alot of noise at speed, so, no.....it hasn't bothered me one bit. The lower leg diameter is adjustable and they JUST fit around my quads. I used them as an outer layer over my Craft thermal bibs all winter.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I did notice that Gore has a tight they claim is waterproof. That may be the best route for me.

thatoneguy

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
N. California
I have been using the Cutter Cyclical E-vent jacket and some Race Face pants. The Jacket works really nice, keeps me dry and is somewhat breathable. The pants seem to get wet, but not so much inside, but I would like to try the Gore's myself. I also have the Castelli Piogia 2 shoe covers, and they seem to keep the water out...