Quantcast

Watershed map/suggestions?

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
i went out and rode the shed for the first time today. we hit the blue (catoctin) trail on the side of the parking lot. it went down down down down down forever. it was a whole lot of fun. eventually, we figured we would have to turn back around and go back up (the inevitable, what goes down must go back up). instead of taking most of the blue trail... we found a really STEEP shortcut that seemed to be a fireroad that connected to the section of pines we went through.

anyone have any idea if there is a map to this place or have any suggestions of a route to ride? the hills were a blast to go down, but some parts were a killer ride up. we didn't want to get too lost our first time, so we stayed with the blue trail most of the way down until we found an intersection of streams... then headed back up a different way.

we found a log to ladder transition right off the blue trail as well near the beginning and played on it. is there more stuff like that around?

thanks!

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
hey, there are no maps that I'm aware of, and it should probably stay that way (this kinda ties in with the dirtjump debacle we just had in here).

As far as gettin the downhill stuff - come out and ride with us - there are Shed rides posted just about every weekend; or if you wanna get one of us to show you around shoot me a PM or something - it's not that we don't want people to see what's there, it's just that we don't want it on the Internet. :)

Basically, the Blue trail has a lot of long downhill sections to it that are fun to ride, but if you don't wanna climb right back up 'em, you need a shuttle truck. Which is what we're doing pretty much every weekend....

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
Originally posted by DßR
hey, there are no maps that I'm aware of, and it should probably stay that way (this kinda ties in with the dirtjump debacle we just had in here).

As far as gettin the downhill stuff - come out and ride with us - there are Shed rides posted just about every weekend; or if you wanna get one of us to show you around shoot me a PM or something - it's not that we don't want people to see what's there, it's just that we don't want it on the Internet. :)

Basically, the Blue trail has a lot of long downhill sections to it that are fun to ride, but if you don't wanna climb right back up 'em, you need a shuttle truck. Which is what we're doing pretty much every weekend....
cool. i'll keep an eye out for posts about rides and join sometime. i'm new to ridemonkey and looking for people to ride with.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
Dan pretty much summarized it. If you do a search on this site for Watershed, Gambrill, Frederick, etc. you'll get a pretty good idea of what's up in that area. So yeah, come out and ride with us sometime. :)

kirstin

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
DC
hi will!

if you want to hit the shed and do some riding around there, give me a call, i can show you where these guys hang out :)

kirstin

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
DC
Originally posted by whale
cool. sounds good. what you riding out there? the scapel or the mt. tam?
the scalpel... the poor mt tam has gotten no love since the scalpel showed up ;) although i am in the market for a "real" DH bike when i get my tax refund...

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
real DH bike, eh? what you thinking of getting? i've just put some new stuff on the P3 to get it ready for some urban riding. it's been too long since it was played with. the blur and the stealthy single speed gets an even amount of luvin'.

kirstin

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
DC
real DH bike, eh? what you thinking of getting? i've just put some new stuff on the P3 to get it ready for some urban riding. it's been too long since it was played with. the blur and the stealthy single speed gets an even amount of luvin'.
well, since i get the hookup on the cannondales, i was thinking of a gemini... otherwise i know a couple people who are selling bikes, and/or might be willing to lend me one.

you gonna do thursday night urban this week? it's been a while since i went, so it might be about that time... >)

kirstin

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
DC
never met up with the thursday night group... looks like this week will be my first time as long as it's on. gotta get some riding on the p3!
kewl, well we can meet up when/wherever people decide for thursday... also, there seems to be some shedding on sunday, so you want me to swing by your place and grab you / meet you somewhere?

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
Originally posted by kirstin
kewl, well we can meet up when/wherever people decide for thursday...
It's always 8pm, Rosslyn. Gateway Park, on the VA side of the Key Bridge. :)

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
Originally posted by kirstin
kewl, well we can meet up when/wherever people decide for thursday... also, there seems to be some shedding on sunday, so you want me to swing by your place and grab you / meet you somewhere?
i will be riding down to rosslyn from my place to meet up with the urban group if it's on this week. the weather report looks good.

as for shedding, seems to be a split on saturday or sunday. saturday would work better for me, but i can probably swing sunday. i'll most likely just drive up there myself and meet up wherever close to gambrill/shed since i can hop on 16th or connecticut and hit 270 a few miles off 495... i need my big mouth rack anyways for the p3. don't think i want to trash my nice xc wheels on the blur.

hurlykid6900

Chimp
Oct 23, 2005
C-Ville Rep yo
Can somone PM me about the location of the shed, I ride at snowshoe somtimes, and have been riding up at Ohill till they tore the ladders down : ( I need another place fairly close to ride at.

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
wow, buncha nostalgia in this dead old thread... how far we've come. <sniff> this is like the part at the end of the movie where you find out where everyone is now

whale: now a full-blooded DH/DJ junky
dbr: MIA at REI
damien: still eating rice from jade bowls
kirsten: getting back into DH?
mark: MIA in SWVa
ben: MIA at the intersection of babyville and runningabusinesstown
mike: banished to richmond

oh, and "the shed" refers to the Frederick Watershed in Frederick, Maryland.

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
corey_dcstreet said:
wow, buncha nostalgia in this dead old thread... how far we've come. <sniff> this is like the part at the end of the movie where you find out where everyone is now

whale: now a full-blooded DH/DJ junky
dbr: MIA at REI
damien: still eating rice from jade bowls
kirsten: getting back into DH?
mark: MIA in SWVa
ben: MIA at the intersection of babyville and runningabusinesstown
mike: banished to richmond
haha. no kidding.

as for dbr... there was a spotting yesterday. we left at 4:30am to meet up with stiff and ride mtncreek all day yesterday. what a great way to end the dh season although i smashed my middle left finger and probably broke a knuckle.

ps: i think i've come a long way in the DH/FR/DJ front in about 1.5 years. i've got a bunch of y'all and ridemonkey to thank for that.

Stiff

Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Miss Washington DC
I think DC people would post more if DC people actually rode more, especially in places that must remain on the DL. I have very little time to post about random stuff. Until the snow and ice my riding schedule will generally be: Saturday bigass trail rides in Elizabeth Furnace and then downhilling on Sunday.