Quantcast

waw

oldskoolbiker

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Alexandria, VA
I did the first race, and plan on doing all of them. I raced sport, I brought up the rear of the pack but at least I finished the race, which was my main goal.

The course is the race course at Wakefield. If you go there on your own just follow the trail marked with with yellow arrows. The lap distance is 3.8 miles. Beginner does 2 laps, Sport does 3, Expert does 4.

They don't have many age groups it's like under 18, 18-39 and 40+. The 18-39 group in the first race was around 50 riders. I placed like 42nd. The competition was pretty steep. I think first place in Sport finished in 53 min. I got like 1:10 and was near the end.

They only had prizes for the top 3 in each group, and no door prizes. So I didn't stick around for the awards.

p2bigman

Chimp
Feb 7, 2006
SWEET i rode the race for 15 to18 and plced 1st baby yea I cant go to the next race but i will be at the rest and some of the cranky monkeys but i am racing for washing ton bike center my name is philip and i live in fairfax.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
oldskoolbiker said:
I did the first race, and plan on doing all of them. I raced sport...
From what I hear, sport is a tough group to do well in. I don't know who this year's finishers are, and I'm certainly not accusing anyone, but in the past there have been complaints of sandbagging in the sport class.

If you haven't already, pre-ride the course before the next race. Thanks to the torrential rains the course rides a bit different than it did. I was out on the 4th and found a couple of surprises. All-in-all the course held up pretty well and what didn't has been fixed or soon will be.

oldskoolbiker

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Alexandria, VA
BikeGeek said:
From what I hear, sport is a tough group to do well in. I don't know who this year's finishers are, and I'm certainly not accusing anyone, but in the past there have been complaints of sandbagging in the sport class.
Sandbaggers or not, I know I won't be near the front of the pack, while I can do the distance at a decent clip, I'm not built for XC racing. Also my 28 pound Full Suspension bike doesn't help either. I can't compete with 150 pound 21 year olds riding 20 pound hardtails sporting shaved legs and lycra.

I actually started doing Downhill racing this year, I placed 1st in my first race in beginner, so I moved up to sport for my next race and placed 3rd.

p2bigman

Chimp
Feb 7, 2006
dude thats sweet but i was talking to afew people about it and they raced sport and expert and they said all of them are really scard to move up but i will be in junior class for a while I am only 16.

p2bigman

Chimp
Feb 7, 2006
if you go on wensday tell me how the juniors do, I will not be there but i will see you at the next one I will be at the rest of them and all the crankey monkeys maybe but peace out see you when ever.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
p2bigman said:
cool is it going to be ready for the next waw
Yeah, it will be ready. We moved 5 or 6 truck-loads of gravel to the start area to repair the road and there was a crew repairing the rutted banked corner next to the powerstation and the creek crossing right after it last week. There was another huge crew out there doing work on Sunday.

oldskoolbiker

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Alexandria, VA
Alright I just rode the course, it was muddy in some areas and dry in others. I'd say over half the course was dry. You can tell the trail got really messed up from the storm, and alot of work was done to repair it. I face planted into a mud hole along the river because there was a log under water and I hit it wide open and it caused me to endo. Overall it was fun and stil very rideable. Hopefully it will dry out more before the race.

p2bigman

Chimp
Feb 7, 2006
cool so will I Iam going out to gambrill so that will be sweet and, I thnik were going to ride the yellow trail

oldskoolbiker

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Alexandria, VA
Alright just got back from the race. I actually beat some people this time. I came in 31st with a time of 1:07:20. For me that is pretty good. I don't claim to be a great XC racer.

There was a photographer out there taking pictures, anybody know where you can go to view those pictures?

p2bigman

Chimp
Feb 7, 2006
if you go to pedal shops web site they should have them posted in a few days I didnt do very well I got 4th but they started the beginer men in front of use so I could not pass. When I did there were like 6 people so it was so slow I gained 2 min for each lap i was hoping to get like 19 or18 min laps but next time we will see I still have 1st place over all but I will lose it soon. how did every won else do

p2bigman

Chimp
Feb 7, 2006
I not sure but the should post them on that same site those were the same pics i have seen on that site it was off pedalshop.

p2bigman

Chimp
Feb 7, 2006
the new pics have been posted just go to that same site and go to 7-19 and they will be there but no pics of me thats the second time do they no like me, o well my dad took pics of me.