Quantcast

way to go HP

SO i tripped over my girlfriend's laptop cord and snapped the head off of it the other day. She hadnt been able to charge her laptop in a few days so she couldn't get very much work done. Yesterday I got around to ordering her a new cord, but the order didnt go out till 530pm. Cord cost me 33$ (ouch), but when i got the mail today, there it was. Free shipping from new mexico, and it's in my mailbox the next day at 330, I can't complain about that. And as an added bonus, I don't feel obligated to let her use my precious powerbook.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
dfinn said:
the magnetic power attachment on the new macbooks is pretty cool.
I agree. I think the magnetic power connector is sweet :thumb:

I keep my laptop plugged in all the time and have broken off a couple heads. The cord I have now has replacable heads so when I break 'em, it's an $8 head instead of a $35 cord/power supply.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
dfinn said:
the magnetic power attachment on the new macbooks is pretty cool.
Though yet another product Apple release with major teething issues. Users have been complaining about premature disconnection and there have been other issues reported too. Toshi returned his MacBook Pro even

Also not an Apple innovation/first. It has been used by companies like Zojirushi, Salton, Delonghi, and others for years now for home appliances.

Toshi said:
no, i haven't tried it yet. am waiting on both my dell 24" :D and a kosher xp disc from my microsoft buddies. but i will do it, just because i can...

i don't have the mbp anymore btw. returned two, got sick of the teething problems, so instead got another first revision machine, the core duo mac mini. this is because i'm smrt

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
they'll get it figured out. Alot of companies don't get things right on the first version.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
dfinn said:
they'll get it figured out. Alot of companies don't get things right on the first version.
And its great to pay a premium to be an Apple Beta tester, isn't it :rolleyes:

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
syadasti said:
And its great to pay a premium to be an Apple Beta tester, isn't it :rolleyes:
Don't look at me. I didn't tell anyone to go out and buy the first revision. You'd be stupid not to expect some minor issues. From what I've read (or haven't) there hasn't been any major issues with their new intel lines.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
dfinn said:
That's true, but Apple seems to be especially bad with releasing goods that they have apparently spent all their time designing and not enough time testing.

Oh well. Syadasti, just because it isn't a first for any company doesn't mean it's not a good idea for the laptop industry :rolleyes: - let's not detract credit just because they're not the first person ever to do it. Nobody claimed they were.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
binary visions said:
Nobody claimed they were.
Apple/Jobs claimed they were and tried to patent it.

Too bad there was Fryer Art on that technology:

According to this CNN article from 2001, the breakaway cord is a standard that was developed by Underwriters Laboratories and is used on countertop deep fryers, fondue sets and similar kitchen gadgets. It was designed to reduce burns caused when a child pulls on the cord.

This is not to take away from Apple's thoughtfulness in applying the concept to laptop power cords. However, Jobs noted that the MagSafe is "patent pending," and to get a patent you generally have to be first to the market. The patent office looks for earlier, similar inventions, known as "prior art." Or in this case, fryer art.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
syadasti said:
Apple/Jobs claimed they were and tried to patent it.
So, I've read this thread four times now. Where did Jobs post in it?

You're awful quick to jump in with the Apple bashing when nobody has made any claims. It's just like Jm with his notorious RockShox bashing - but even he has learned not to be so quick with it.

dfinn said it was a good idea. I agreed. You said Apple didn't invent it. So what?

splat

Nam I am
patent pending is an old trick. lots of companies do that. to A) make your customers think you have done something new and innovative, B) make your compeitors do the same and keep them from doing the same and C) CYA! you go through the patant process ( because it is looooong )for the stated resons above , plus if it does turn out , some one else has a patant , the royalties you have to pay them to use it isgenerally much less then if you just went and used it and they came after you.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I have yet to snag my laptop cord, but I like the idea of the magnetic plug. If you pay attention, it's fine.

I will be waiting for a few revs of the MacBook before I pull the trigger, but I also love my G4 and it works fine for me.

Glad to here HP came through for you.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
jimmydean said:
I have yet to snag my laptop cord, but I like the idea of the magnetic plug. If you pay attention, it's fine.

I will be waiting for a few revs of the MacBook before I pull the trigger, but I also love my G4 and it works fine for me.

Glad to here HP came through for you.
I would wait till at least 07 before ordering a macbook. They should have it all figured out by then and the new chips will be in them. But then again this is hypocritical advice since I will be ordering my IntelG5 the day it is released.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
bballe336 said:
But then again this is hypocritical advice since I will be ordering my IntelG5 the day it is released.
Its a Core Duo CPU, not a PowerPC G5.

Maybe you are thinking of the upcoming Merom CPU...

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
syadasti said:
Its a Core Duo CPU, not a PowerPC G5.

Maybe you are thinking of the upcoming Merom CPU...
It's the generation 5 machine with an intel chip. It will most likely be renamed though. And by the name I gave it almost anyone could easily figure out what I am talking about. I thought the merom was what is going into later generation macbooks? I know the G5 replacements will have conroe cores.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
The Powerbook already has at least 5 generations and there will never be Intel based one.

Anyone could easily figure out you are confused :thumb:

Powerbook 100 series
Powerbook 500 series
Powerbook XX00 series
Powerbook G3 series
Powerbook G4 series
End of line...

Now new Apple Macbook Pro series.

Merom = Next generation dual core mobile CPU
Conroe = DC desktop version of Merom
Woodcrest = DC server CPU

A.P

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
boston
on a different note, I needed a replacement powercord for my dell laptop and it was 90 dollars, and only for 1/2 the cord.!

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
A.P said:
on a different note, I needed a replacement powercord for my dell laptop and it was 90 dollars, and only for 1/2 the cord.!
Should have gotten one from Laptop Travel instead.

Also iGo makes some fancy universal laptop power adapters like the Juice.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
A.P said:
I've got a Targus universal adapter. I've read some complaints about it getting too hot but mine doesn't get hot at all. And, as I said, it's got replacable tips so if you ever damage/destroy one, you can replace it cheaply. I think it was $40 IIRC (it was a gift).

Something to look into next time :thumb:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
binary visions said:
I've got a Targus universal adapter. I've read some complaints about it getting too hot but mine doesn't get hot at all. And, as I said, it's got replacable tips so if you ever damage/destroy one, you can replace it cheaply. I think it was $40 IIRC (it was a gift).
iGo makes the universal for Targus and offer more models and shiny colors. When I got one for Powerbook G4 awhile ago, the iGo was cheaper as you didn't have to buy any extra tips with the model we needed - they had them in the kit already.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
syadasti said:
iGo makes the universal for Targus and offer more models and shiny colors. When I got one for Powerbook G4 awhile ago, the iGo was cheaper as you didn't have to buy any extra tips with the model we needed - they had them in the kit already.
Ahh, I thought it looked familliar.

Mine came with the whole collection of tips.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
syadasti said:
The Powerbook already has at least 5 generations and there will never be Intel based one.

Anyone could easily figure out you are confused :thumb:

Powerbook 100 series
Powerbook 500 series
Powerbook XX00 series
Powerbook G3 series
Powerbook G4 series
End of line...

Now new Apple Macbook Pro series.

Merom = Next generation dual core mobile CPU
Conroe = DC desktop version of Merom
Woodcrest = DC server CPU
I think it is you that is confused. By IntelG5 I meant the PowerPC G5 replacement. Since the current desktop is called the G5 you should have been able to figure that out. And I never even mentioned powerbooks..... I guess I will have to clarify myself a little better next time, that way it will be easier for you to start apple bashing:thumb:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
bballe336 said:
I think it is you that is confused. By IntelG5 I meant the PowerPC G5 replacement.
Nah, its just you living in your own world.

This thread is about notebooks. No other site or company references any Apple product by IntelG5, only you...

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
syadasti said:
Nah, its just you living in your own world.

This thread is about notebooks. No other site or company references any Apple product by IntelG5, only you...
By putting two and two together you really should have been able to figure it out. It's the G5 that has the intel chip in it. And I know the thread was about notebooks. I shared my opinion and then said that my opinion was rather hipocritical because I was going to be buying a first gen apple desktop when it came out.

Would it make you feel better if I said you were right?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
As always.

Its like saying I'm going to get a Cannondale Prophet 1 MX with the Headshok Fox 36 fork.

The old products have nothing to do with the new ones...

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
syadasti said:
As always.

Its like saying I'm going to get a Cannondale Prophet 1 MX with the Headshok Fox 36 fork.

The old products have nothing to do with the new ones...
Aren't you supposed to be working?