Quantcast

Ways around weak grip??

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
Tim Hopey is a super nice guy. His dampers really work well and last. I've have two for years now and have never had a problem with them. The level of damping is adjustable on the fly. Worth the $$ in my opinion if you need a little extra help because of upper body injuries or disorders.
They are amazing fast on repair/service. Less than 14 days from CA for a rebuild.

kingbee

Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Ohio
I have an idea. I'm trying to think outside the box of whats already been said.

Im trying to think of something that will let your hand move on the bars, have good grip, yet be able to break away if you wreck. I came up with something like this.

The PVC piece would clip onto the bars. The thickness of the PVC and size of the cut in the tube would determine how easy it would break away in a wreck. The bar-end would keep it from sliding off the bars while riding. And on the other end your gear shift would keep it from sliding that direction.

You could either glue your glove to the PVC, or maybe put a strap on the PVC for your glove to go under. Or go with the velcro if you wanted to.

erastusboy

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
Electro-magnets.
That's the ticket!
This is what I was thinking. Its probably over the top, but if it could be worked out, what about a system of magnets in the finger tip of a glove with magnets on the bar and a switch that would be activated when the good hand was holding the bar (in a fall when the good hand is released the weaker is as well). Not sure about the power needed but could the electromagnet be powered by a hub generator?

Smarter people please chime in.

septopuss

Chimp
Jan 29, 2008
This is what I was thinking. Its probably over the top, but if it could be worked out, what about a system of magnets in the finger tip of a glove with magnets on the bar and a switch that would be activated when the good hand was holding the bar (in a fall when the good hand is released the weaker is as well). Not sure about the power needed but could the electromagnet be powered by a hub generator?

Smarter people please chime in.
That sounds expensive and possibly dangerous, but creative none the less.

erastusboy

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
That sounds expensive and possibly dangerous, but creative none the less.
Yeah your probably right, but if he had a friend who was a decent mech engineer a system could be fab'ed up on the cheap with at least a few safety measures in it. I'm thinking an electromagnet in the bar with a thin is grip so all the wire routing could be done internally. The worst thing that could happen would be that his hand comes off (better than his hand being stuck on in a crash I would think.)

I think its probably safer than velco as it wears out/stops working if it gets dirty etc.

In the situation (hell in mtb in general) nothing is totally safe, but this is an awesome problem for someone in engineering/design fields.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
The guy over at mtbr is called "man w/ one hand" - I've seen him out on the trails and he has a pretty amazing setup going on. You should pm him over there.

septopuss

Chimp
Jan 29, 2008
You know I was thinking about the PVC idea that was presented. I thought why not make it simple. Ditch the PVC and just get a regular rubber grip, and slice it all the way length wise. Then I would glue or stitch a glove to the grip. Then I could attach the grip with some of those rubber bands that are designed to break when put under stress. Or instead of using the bands, I could just use a few strips of velcro to hold the grip on. Anyone have thoughts on this?