Quantcast

Ways to keep your bike from getting stolen?

thebornotaku

Monkey
May 19, 2008
Northern Bay Area
Aside from locking it (which I do), that is.

I go to summerschool (as those who actually read the GMTs probably realize) and over the course of the past three weeks, several people have had cranks, forks, wheels, brakes etc stolen.

And I'm a bit worried, what with owning a $550 bike with upgraded cranks.

So, do any of you guys have suggestions as how to keep it from getting stolen, or to keep any of the parts from getting stolen?

I'll also be getting the quick release wheel axles replaced with normal bolts, maybe get a cloth cover for my seat then wrap it poorly in electrical tape to make it look ****ty.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
hoopty ass bike is the best way. a hoopty ass fixed gear with no brakes works as well.
:stupid: You won't even have to lock it up. Actually, the fixed/no brakes could provide you endless entertainment as would be thieves will probably wreck in the 1st 50ft or so.

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
:stupid: You won't even have to lock it up. Actually, the fixed/no brakes could provide you endless entertainment as would be thieves will probably wreck in the 1st 50ft or so.
I don't think the lack of brakes is trendy enough, he just get a bike with no drive train and no brakes and you just shuffle your feet along and coast to move. That's REALLY getting in to the essence of biking.

thebornotaku

Monkey
May 19, 2008
Northern Bay Area
I don't think the lack of brakes is trendy enough, he just get a bike with no drive train and no brakes and you just shuffle your feet along and coast to move. That's REALLY getting in to the essence of biking.
I had to do that when a chain broke on one of my old BMX bikes.

It was hilarious to see people try to ride it without noting the lack of a chain. left pedal at bdc, then they put ALL THEIR WEIGHT on the right pedal as it swings around and they hit their face on the handlebars.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Aside from locking it (which I do), that is.

I go to summerschool (as those who actually read the GMTs probably realize) and over the course of the past three weeks, several people have had cranks, forks, wheels, brakes etc stolen.

And I'm a bit worried, what with owning a $550 bike with upgraded cranks.

So, do any of you guys have suggestions as how to keep it from getting stolen, or to keep any of the parts from getting stolen?

I'll also be getting the quick release wheel axles replaced with normal bolts, maybe get a cloth cover for my seat then wrap it poorly in electrical tape to make it look ****ty.
you should be running the lock through both wheels...using nuts instead of quick releases will just add 5 seconds to the theft time....D

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Bingo. Your average bike thief doesn't understand the concept of a fixed gear drivetrain. Typically lack of brakes is enough to deter them, but the ones that aren't deterred are normally on the ground within 50 to 100 feet. You don't even have to get them on the ground to start kicking them!

It is pretty good entertainment to watch someone who doesn't know that they're doing to get bucked off a fixie :D

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
you should be running the lock through both wheels...using nuts instead of quick releases will just add 5 seconds to the theft time....D

like this.

but make sure to take your seat with you...and whatever you lock it to is secure...D

CraShRyDer7

Monkey
Feb 1, 2008
franklin lakes
go to a junkyard get a old crap bike that atleast rides, no1 will wanna steal that, also if it does get stolen, you didnt spend money on it and therefor u didnt loose anything

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
go to a junkyard get a old crap bike that atleast rides, no1 will wanna steal that, also if it does get stolen, you didnt spend money on it and therefor u didnt loose anything
Oh dear god. Really? Complete sentences and punctuation are a thing of the past? :shocked:

Sorry, I just couldn't help it.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I just carry a marine battery with me & wire each terminal to the frame & I use a lock too.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
If a thief REALLY wants your bike, he will get it. And fast. The pros are ridiculously fast at vicing you...

Get the old transportation special...just keep the wheels straight, the hubs well packed, and the BB and HS rolling well. The guts and nuts of the bike need to be well maintained, and who gives a crap about the rest...

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
i always wanted to figure out a way to steal electricity from a power line and charge the bike up that way. course that means i'd have to figure out a way to unconnect it without killing myself.....sigh..

j.les

Monkey
Jul 21, 2007
Chicago
Use 2 u-locks and a cable. Theives are usually looking for a quick heist and don't want to spend more than a few seconds on a bike. If possibe, lock it up with a friends bike and locks. You really can only slow a theif down and maybe discourage him.

Use 2 u-locks and a cable. Theives are usually looking for a quick heist and don't want to spend more than a few seconds on a bike. If possibe, lock it up with a friends bike and locks. You really can only slow a theif down and maybe discourage him.
You forgot the logging chain.

Pay some attention to where and how people leave their bikes. When I commuted in the city I tried to lock the bike someplace that made it less convenient to steal that those next to it - lift it way up high and lock it to something, or the off side of a fence at a wall or drop.

thebornotaku

Monkey
May 19, 2008
Northern Bay Area
I use a U-lock and cable right now, hasn't been stolen yet.

I'm more worried about individaul parts.

Once I get the money, I'll probably get a fixie and remove the cable for the front brake (so the pads are spread way out and it's obvious it won't work) and ride that to places where I'd fear it getting stolen.

thanks for the advice, guys

MikeStanfill

Chimp
Mar 24, 2008
Alaska
Ask one of your summer school teachers if you can take the bike into their classroom or something, so they can keep an eye on it. Or maybe keep it in the front office, or lock it up in a closet.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Setting the fixie trap will only matter if you're there to witness the thief spill, and unless in some bizarre chance you are, you're denied the pleasure of even seeing him eat ****.

Buy an old-ass bike, ride it, and buy another if someone rips it off.

If you have to ride yours, spray paint is your friend, as is removing your seatpost and bringing it with you, and/or doing the same with your front wheel. The wheel prevents the thief from riding away, which kind of defeats his purpose and makes it a less-appealing target. If you're just going into class, carrying the wheel shouldn't be a big deal.

Locks, wheel nuts, whatever-if someone wants it, it's gone if you're sitting in a classroom somewhere. Essentially infinite time to work for the thief (no one will notice or stop him if they do) and no way for you to intervene. A lock is just a way to keep the casual dirtbag from riding off on it, not a dedicated bike thief. It also gives you a few critical seconds to spot the thief at work if you're able to observe the bike (sitting in a restaurant or whatever).

Back when I had Hope C2s, I would just clamp the brakes down to immobilize the wheels for a quick lock when I was in grabbing a slice of pizza or something. Very few people, including avid riders, would be able to quickly figure out what was up with the bike like that, and even then, it'd take a few seconds to realize what was up and turn both brakes back to rideability . I'd also disconnect the canti brakes on my commuter to force the real bike thief to take a second to hook one up, or the casual dirtbag to crash and die pretty early in his 'getaway...'

Lowlight7

Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Virginia, USA
You will need:

1 random orbit sander w/ 300 grit sandpaper
1 can blaze or neon orange, pink, or blue spray paint
1 roll duct tape
1 aluminum bike frame (may work with other non-steels, but I haven't tried it)

Step 1: Sand off the factory paint. It isn't necessary to remove ALL the paint, just 60% or so. If you want to leave the factory name and model number to prove to your friends that you really do ride a Turner, no big deal.

Step 2: Spray paint frame in your choice of obnoxious colors.

Step 3: Wrap random parts of your bike in duct tape.

Step 4: Step back and enjoy the piece of modern urban art that you just made.

I suppose you could get more creative than that but I'm pretty bland. Although I have considered spoke clackers and a horn.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Use aircraft stripper to remove the factory paint, not sanding (for my money...)

Lowlight7

Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Virginia, USA
Use aircraft stripper to remove the factory paint, not sanding (for my money...)
Good call, but I was trying to make the kid work for it.

You should be able to find it at a custom car shop...

Oh, and don't be afraid to spray paint your wheels or duct tape your cranks.

thebornotaku

Monkey
May 19, 2008
Northern Bay Area
I already have an orbital sander XD and lots of old, ****ty colored spraypaint.

Thanks of all the suggestions, I'll just be keeping it in my classroom (I only have one summerschool class) for the next two weeks.