Quantcast

ways to lock up tools....

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
obviously you can run a chain or lock cable through some tools like rakes and wheelbarrows...

.. but anyone dug a coffin-sized hole to put some kind of large lockbox in ? aboveground box not gonna work because it has to be out of site.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
We built a really cool underground locker with a big wooden hatch painted green. Someone eventually destroyed it for us though.
I want to bury a dumpster with a locking lid.... that would be the nuts.

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
I have managed to find a rock outcropping to stash my tools under out by my trail. I had a couple hundred dollars worth of tools nabbed last year and they were locked to a tree.

WaveDude

Chimp
Sep 7, 2001
TX
Having trouble with un-authorized trail builders?

For shovels, use a hole-saw and bore a chain-sized hole through the head. Then you can string a chain thru and lock them up.

Outta sight...can't help. Buried I'd worry about something holding water.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I put a 1.5 ft (ish) drainage pipe under one of my landings, and put the shovels in there, and just brush some leaves up against it to block the view every time I leave. I haven't had trouble. I know people go back there though, found some nails scattered around the lip of one of my jumps a while back. As far as the wheelbarrow, I found a nice little thicket, that I piled some more thorns on top of, hollowed the middle of the thicket out and I push my wheelbarrow right in, you'd have to be looking for it to see it.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
this is what we have at our city dirt jumps and xc trails. Fits probably 20 shovels/rakes/etc plus other stuff. Not cheap, but does the job right. It's sunk into concrete. It's probably overkill for private jumps, obviously.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Oh man, why didn't I think of that..... a job box is perfect. I'm going to look for a deal on one and score it for our trails.

SIN P3

Chimp
Feb 2, 2009
in 4 years of diggen at harvest trails we have had right around 500.00 in tools stolen:rant:its bull shi^%$$.and duck let me know how much you want me to pitch in on the box.that is a great idea .:cheers:

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
OK i just found out that ridgid chest was about $475. So that is damn expensive. Watch craigslist though.. i think they go for a lot less used.

We needed max security since it is in NYC.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
What would be super sweet, is a shipping container.... Use it for a rollin, AND storage.

No way we'd get away with that at our trails, but that would be sweet for a private spot.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
a local guy here in montana has a bus built into his jumps and and uses that for storage, that and his garage and barn located right next door. no pics but will see what i can do

crkt

Monkey
Nov 5, 2008
In the woods
outta sight outta mind, we keep our tools in the trails hut a little distance away from the main body of jumps. looks like a sketchin little vagrant home so fortunately nobody has felt like rutting around in there to steal shiit

seems like actually locking shovels and rakes would get to be a bit of a pain but how about a laquered (waterproof) coffin box just a little walk into the trees away from where most people will wander? a lock might rust, keys might get lost, might spark a little too much curiosity, but then if stolen tools has become a legit problem a couple bolted chains and a master lock could definitely be a worthy investment.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
It's weird. At our spot, it seems like locking stuff up makes people want it more. They even stole the damned cables we used. Some has wandered off that wasn't locked up, but if we keep moving the stash spot, we seem to do ok. It's harder in the winter (dig season) because the foliage is pretty much gone, and it makes things easier to spot.