Quantcast

Ways to travel with a bike

Im going to Michigan for 3 weeks on sunday, I want to bring my bike, but i dont know how to do it, I dont really want to spend 200 bucks on a bike case, If i get a bike box from the LBs, will that be sufficient, is there any chance of making there size limit. It is 62 inches, for leght+width+hieght. If not, it will cost me 100 bucks round trip. Do you think it is worth bringing, or should I just leave it here, as i know I will get madly out of shape after that.:)

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Many bike shops have a bike case that they rent out. See if any of your LBS's do that. For what it's worth I tried using a bike box when I went to Bootleg Canyon, it was a Cannondale box which are supposed to be the strongest, and I even reinforced the crap out of it with wood and plastic to the point where it barely made the airline's weight limit, and the airline baggage throwers still managed to destroy it beyond use.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i should clarify that these are single-use boxes, not that i used the same box 10 times.

i buy a couple of rolls of nylon-reinforced packing tape, tape all critical seams, reinforce the handholes, and also tape an extra layer or two of cardboard to where the wheel hub rests against the side of the box.

a couple of friends of mine shelled out 200-300 for hard cases, but i just can't see the need for it.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i used to go all out, using that foam pipe insulation on all tubes, even wrapping it on the cranks...pile the box w/ balled up newspaper once the bike and wheels are in...

now i just toss the thing in the box and tape it up.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
SW: "Non-motorized Bicycles, including Bike Friday and Co-Pilot, will be accepted as checked baggage at no additional charge provided the limit of three checked bags is not exceeded; the bicycle is properly packaged; and the box containing the bicycle fits within the 62-inch sizing limit and weighs 50 lbs or under. The handlebars, kickstand, and pedals must be removed and placed inside the box. A $50.00 each-way charge applies to bicycles that don’t meet the above criteria. Bicycles packaged in a cardboard box or soft-sided case will be transported as a conditionally accepted item."

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
wow, that's pretty good for SouthWest...they are the only carrier i know of which won't hit you for a charge. USAir got for me for $80 each way to NC in June. flying w/ a flight booked through IMBA is the only way i've avoided a cost (well, that and an unattentive checkin person once).