Quantcast

WC 2010 team changes

numerik

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
Slovenia, Europe
I know WC just finished, but in a way it's starting again. So, any news about changing teams for the big guns? Regarding top riders - I think Rennie won't race on Kenda Morewood (ok, Maxxis Morewood :D). His team had no Rennie posters in Schladming, just Delfs. Maybe I am wrong though...

Ther is a hint on VitalMTB about Minnaar...anybody

M12

Chimp
Jul 7, 2009
Duraing the Schladming finals, Rob said Rennie was keen on racing the 2010 WC if he found a team he would be happy in. Other than that, no idea...

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Isn't Minaar done with the Syndicate after this year? I remember this discussion last year, but people said he was contracted thru the end of this year. Where's he going?

Fakewade

Monkey
Aug 26, 2006
Back in Scotland
Let the e-speculation begin!

As was said above, Warner said that Rennie would only be back if had the right team and support, so sounds like he might of been dropped by morewood? :confused:

& apart from the hint on Vital with regards to Minnaar, I'm out

MFrider

Monkey
Jul 10, 2009
The East
Total e-spec, but isn't Minnaar tight with Martin Whitely (sp?) from back in the Honda days, oh yeah and Global too??...

Minaar on Trek??

numerik

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
Slovenia, Europe
No results this year for CRC - Kovarik, Cunningham and Simmonds. Shame for Camellinis broken wrist...Same crew next year?
Giant has nobody, exept Rando, but his results are just mediocre nowdays. Maybe it's time for Giant to step up and sign a top rider as did Specialized this year.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
No results this year for CRC - Kovarik, Cunningham and Simmonds. Shame for Camellinis broken wrist...Same crew next year?
Giant has nobody, exept Rando, but his results are just mediocre nowdays. Maybe it's time for Giant to step up and sign a top rider as did Specialized this year.
I always got the impression Giant doesn't give a F...they have never had premier talent on their teams...ever.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
I always got the impression Giant doesn't give a F...they have never had premier talent on their teams...ever.
Not recently at least. Hoydal (world cup xc champ), Brentjens (olympic gold), Tomac (NORBA DH champ), Beneke (NORBA DH champ), and Rockwell (World Champ) come to mind but that was 10-15 nyears ago. wishful thinking, but maybe they'll follow Specialized's lead and take racing seriously agian?

Last edited:

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Not recently at least. Hoydal (world cup xc champ), Brentjens (olympic gold), Tomac (NORBA DH champ), Beneke (NORBA DH champ), and Rockwell (World Champ) come to mind but that was 10-15 nyears ago. wishful thinking, but maybe they'll follow Specialized's lead and take racing seriously agian?
Most if not ALL of that was under Johann Lammerts leadership and Giant was basically a co-sponsor, much like Trek is the cosponsor for Martins team.
I was more meaning the office marketing types don't usually give a F.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Most if not ALL of that was under Johann Lammerts leadership and Giant was basically a co-sponsor, much like Trek is the cosponsor for Martins team.
I was more meaning the office marketing types don't usually give a F.
Very true, and even now they seem to be a front for Michelin

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
If Minaar goes to Giant, do you think that will settle the whole steep head angle debate?!?!?!

(of course it's most likely he'd get a custom, slacker bike!)

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
its a long shot but his move could be quite a head Turner....

sorry. that was awful

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
I'd think Minnaar would re-sign with Syndicate. Seems like there is no reason to be seeking a change, has proven to be a successful situation for all of them.
World Champ Steve Peat + Minnaar = expensive. and money is tight for a lot of teams right now

Minnaar is such a class act. gracious in all his post-world champ interviews and congratulatory to Sam after finishing 2nd in the world cup too. Even in his post-world cup interview on vital with sven notice when asked what he's doing for next year you have to pay attention to what he doesn't say, namely anything in reference to a sponsor.

Last edited:

Zebulon

Chimp
Feb 3, 2009
Cardiff
Peat's contract is up too isn't it? I am pretty sure Steve said something along the lines of he will probably be with the Syndicate next year but his contract is up in his interview with Warner at Schaldming.

Fakewade

Monkey
Aug 26, 2006
Back in Scotland
Even in his post-world cup interview on vital with sven notice when asked what he's doing for next year you have to pay attention to what he doesn't say, namely anything in reference to a sponsor.
Indeed, he's careful not to mention what bike he'll be riding, just says he'll ride a bit of moto in the off season and be back to ride next year

World Champ Steve Peat + Minnaar = expensive. and money is tight for a lot of teams right now.
Yeah, but not like either of them were cheap when they were signed in the first place. I don't know that this is fact, but I would assume that Roscop probably personally picks up the bill for most of the Team in some way or another anyways, weather its funneled through the company or not. I don't see that team breaking apart just because money is tight at the moment, they have a winning formula, and the two of them being on the same team is a big part of that formula. Obviously this is all just my thoughts, we'll know for sure in a few months.

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
you left out Warner ;)

Yeah, but not like either of them were cheap when they were signed in the first place. I don't know that this is fact, but I would assume that Roscop probably personally picks up the bill for most of the Team in some way or another anyways, weather its funneled through the company or not. I don't see that team breaking apart just because money is tight at the moment, they have a winning formula, and the two of them being on the same team is a big part of that formula. Obviously this is all just my thoughts, we'll know for sure in a few months.
SRAM picks up a large part of the syndicate tab too.

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
Yes we should all hope for a very smooth Transition for him where ever he goes :weee:
This is beginning to hurt. I would imagine that someone is going to drink too much tonight and post a 'creative' paragraph that covers every bike company known to man in a couple of sentences. I hope not, but I see it coming.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
This is beginning to hurt. I would imagine that someone is going to drink too much tonight and post a 'creative' paragraph that covers every bike company known to man in a couple of sentences. I hope not, but I see it coming.
Bonus points for anyone that can get "Chumba" into said paragraph...

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
This is beginning to hurt. I would imagine that someone is going to drink too much tonight and post a 'creative' paragraph that covers every bike company known to man in a couple of sentences. I Hope not, but I see it coming.
:weee: