Quantcast

WC#6 Val D' Isere (FRA)

swaussie

Chimp
Apr 14, 2009
Gwin and Smith might be playing tactics - you often get late afternoon storms in the alps.

Last edited:

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Sickness!
From Dirt:

Qualifying is still going on but a massive thunderstorm has just swept through Val d’Isère so it’s unlikely that anyone can topple Cam Cole!

Blimey what a super exciting qualifying session! Loads of big guns crashing!

A shake up at the top of qualifying with Cam Cole going a gnats crotch (0.09) ahead of Josh Bryceland with Brook MacDonald in 3rd just 0.3 down, how close!

Five French riders in the top 11!

Gwin crashed on the last corner, problems also for Blinky, Hill, Hannah, and Smith.

A :rockout: for the youngguns!

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
Sickness!
From Dirt:

...Gwin crashed on the last corner, problems also for Blinky, Hill, Hannah, and Smith...
I can't imagine trying to race knowing that my sister was just taken off the mountain in a helicopter, that's a much bigger problem.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Sunday will be interesting for sure, as it certainly appears there will only be a "gnat's crotch" difference between the top guys. Gwin was the fastest at split 2, but just barely, so even if he stays upright for the race he is certainly beatable here. Continued props to Gee for the amazing results he's posted, especially given the absolute beating he has taken this year.

Hoping Tracey isn't banged up too bad and will be cheering her brother on if she's not racing herself.

UncleHowie

Chimp
Feb 9, 2011
Switzerland
I can't imagine trying to race knowing that my sister was just taken off the mountain in a helicopter, that's a much bigger problem.
Doesn't have to be a bad crash to get heli-rescued in the alps, it's just way easier. I don't know about the riders insurance, but for 30 bucks a year i got free heli rescue in whole europe.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Whoa, broken clavicle and femur for Tracey. You guys were both right.
In this case I hate to be right. :(
Would love to have seen her race (and all the others that are out with injuries).

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
Colorado would be a good place to start. Pretty much anywhere with a lot of steep vertical.
Wyoming, Montana, New Mexico, Utah, Idaho....The Rockies are pretty bad a$$! That John Denver is NOT full of sh!t.
I read this and thought of some of the CO tracks. Crested Butte and Telluride specifically. Both tracks are on the lower, far less steep, portions of the mountains. So the terrain is definitely here, but will they ever use it?

Crap when I drive past Arapahoe Basin on my way to Keystone I look at it and think A-Basin could make a freaking great track.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
Too lazy to look it up, but does anyone know if Gwin already has the points race locked up, or does he actually need to show up and compete assuming Greg and Gee will finish well?

Sadly, this season may well be remembered for all the terrible injuries more than anything else :(

Tyler Durden

Monkey
Oct 7, 2003
Paper Street
Via Twitter:

Aaron Gwin‏@AaronGwin1

Well sometimes good runs don't end so good haha. Scraped the hand but feelin good, gonna enjoy tomorrow then give er heck on Sunday! #Braaap

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
Minnaar revolutionizing spine protection, Sniped from K. Sessler's FB:
[/

Not funny!

I agree. He should put the maxipads on his elbows and shins, which are much more likely to take an impact than his back. Such poor form.

Btw, in ref to Gwin, can anybody tell what front tire he is using? Looks like a sharpied DHF to me, but it might also be the Bonty version.

Last edited: