WC #6 - Val Di Sole (ITA) 2015

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
the italians have to stop throwing their deli meats on the planks
Or it may be excess haircare product

:thumb:

But serious bummer about Peat (couldn't tell if he crashed on his quali run, or if that footy was from practice) and the others that slid off that olive oil glazed woodwork.
@Gary, so just why do they have that decking at Ft. Bill? I always assumed it was because of some unmanageable peat bogs, but I guess they could just put that crush & run kitty litter like they've done in other areas.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
@Gary, so just why do they have that decking at Ft. Bill? I always assumed it was because of some unmanageable peat bogs, but I guess they could just put that crush & run kitty litter like they've done in other areas.
Yeah... it is because the surface underneath is soft/boggy (most of the surface either side of the track up top is though)... So other than time constraints for the track builders I can't really see why they couldn't have built something interesting and not made of wood instead.
Wet or dry the decking Is mega grippy due to the paint they use and there's not even any real mud to drag on to it either ... my gripe with it is just that it feels a bit shit to ride a DH bike along. Most riders just sit down and roll along the longest section for a breather before the ROCKZ unless it's a race run

There's another mellower/longer track from the top right down to the finish area that uses absolutely tons of boardwalk up top.. quite a fun track for a small bike once you get past the wooden bits. Dunno if this track being built had a lot to do with the WC tracks wood additions or vice versa.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Peatys crash is in here (I believe). That bridge looks slicker than snot.
watching Miinnaarr ride is always interesting. he never looks out of control fast like Gwin or Brosnan but yet hes obviously able to win on any course. Gwin's stiff suspension makes it look like hes floating over everything especially compared to Hart.
i also would have thought Peat would have had a much lower number plate than #91 since he really hasnt raced at all this year.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Sucks to hear Emmeline is retiring. Biggest challenger to Rachel. Guess Myriam, Manon and Tahnee will have to step it up.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I think its been so long since he's crashed that he forgot about integrated stems and tried to straighten his wheel

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Can't believe Minnaar crashed! Pretty sad for him

bummdd for Bruni too,

But Gwin, WTF?! That scrub??

squiby

Chimp
Jul 26, 2010
Brosnan was looking sooo good. Stoked for Gwin, gutted for Bruni and Minnaar. Brook is an animal!

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I'm stoked that Greg gave it his all and totally went after it. Bummed for Bruni and Brosnan. Well done to Gwin.

That was a great race.

Totally bummed the season is over. Bring on worlds.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Shame we didn't get to see what slowed Brosnan down, he was 'kin flying up top.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
So Gwin is now just behind Nico, Peat, and Minnaar for most WC wins correct? He overtook Hill this year if I heard that right

4130biker

May 24, 2007
So Gwin is now just behind Nico, Peat, and Minnaar for most WC wins correct? He overtook Hill this year if I heard that right
Pretty amazing. Will be interesting to see if he can snag some world champs in his career; I'm kinda surprised he hasn't!

4130biker

May 24, 2007
It was great to see that the two contendors for the overall gave it their all- it made for some spectacular racing!
If it is true that Minnaar usually rides just below 100% (to explain his concistency) it's a bummer we didn't get to see him have his full run in flat out mode. I wonder if he'll ever be put in the position to race like that again? His concistency is truly amazing

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
Yes Gwin has got his 14th world cup win and he only needs 5 more wins to beat the all time record from Minnaar,to think of it he isn't even that long racing world cups compared to Peaty,Nico and Minnaar and only getting started.

Gwin is amazing and I think he will be the greatest world cup racer of all time if he keeps winning like this.

Last edited:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
i believe he's also gotten to this point in about half the years racing as those guys.
And during a MUCH more competitive era.

Also, what the hell happened to Brosnan? He looked way faster than Gwin where they had cameras. Although the little guys tend to look faster even when they aren't I suppose?

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I think its been so long since he's crashed that he forgot about integrated stems and tried to straighten his wheel
Have you never crashed and had your bars crooked even with a direct mount and dual crown fork? I have, while fairly stiff and typically pretty straight, it's not hard at all to twist the bars a bit during a crash, except it's not just the bars it's the bars, the stem and the crown all tweaking a hair.

Brosnan hit a tree according to a pinkbiker.

And yes, I agree, I iwsh they would put more cameras on course

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
i believe he's also gotten to this point in about half the years racing as those guys.
Vouilloz raced 8 seasons as a senior elite, I think? How many has Gwin raced?

And not to color it too much, but the notion that this "era" is more competitive is an assertion I always raise an eyebrow at.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
Just how fast was Greg Min before that wreck! It would have been something to see him carry on at that pace.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
And not to color it too much, but the notion that this "era" is more competitive is an assertion I always raise an eyebrow at.
How do ya figure? Racing was nowhere near as 'professional' back then as it is now. Well, there was one professional, and it was Nico. Guys didn't have professional trainers and coaches, regimented diets, hitting the gym and the road bike everyday, etc. (I'm PRETTY sure, could be wrong here)

Minnar himself has said it in some interview ~a year ago. He was able to 'easily' (I use that term very loosely) ratchet it up over the years until the Gwin era. And then he really had to struggle and push it to to a new limit to stay at the top.

Also, just watch the old races from the early 2000's where you have some of the same guys racing. They look like they are on cruise control compared to the blinding pace they all ride now (and no, its not the bikes, and yes you can easily find some high speed old track to prove me wrong, but thats not the point). They used to sit down and cruise flat easy parts of the tracks, now they pedal out of every turn, always on the pedals in every possible section, definitely a new level these days.