Quantcast

WC dh #2 Champéry

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Yeah, been waiting impatiently ever since I saw that thread... you positive that's them on sam's bike? Because the 83mm version hadn't been made yet, at the time of that last thread anyway.

If they are on sam's bike already, i'm guessing it won't be long before they start showing up :). Anyone got any pics of his bike from champery sans mud?
Looks like the new Gravity Lite crankset to me. You know, the pros do get stuff wayyy ahead of the general public.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
how in the world did sam get down in these conditions faster than everyone who rode it dry.... unreal to be able to do something that that at the world cup level

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Looks like the new Gravity Lite crankset to me. You know, the pros do get stuff wayyy ahead of the general public.
...indeed they do. :biggrin:

Todd actually got a set by mail delivered to the US Open and had time to put them on his Sunday. Pretty sweet cranks, and STUPID light too. When I closed my eyes and held the ENTIRE spindle assembly in my hand (Crank arm, spindle, chainring and bash guard) it felt the same weight as just ONE of my Diabolus cranks... and the Gravity Lights were 170's...

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
how in the world did sam get down in these conditions faster than everyone who rode it dry.... unreal to be able to do something that that at the world cup level

We have to consider that at someplace with a shallower grade, the mud have slowed him down anyplace he had to pedal. But there wasn't any pedaling so he freefalled and made turns.

edit:Freefalling and making turns in mud no one else had was a sick feat. Could he have pulled it off if there were stretches of pedaling>?

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
nothing can really explain why sam was able to do something like that. i saw some footage, he was pinning it in mud that was actually pretty deep. he's got serious skills, no questions asked. and if you read some of the pre-race stuff, sam qualified for first with a 15 second lead on the guy that qualified second. i still can't believe how sick kovarik's m5 is, it grows on my every time i see it. when i saw it at the sea otter, it was impressive, but for some reason it looks absolutely incredible whenever i see it in the pictures.

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
i still can't believe how sick kovarik's m5 is, it grows on my every time i see it. when i saw it at the sea otter, it was impressive, but for some reason it looks absolutely incredible whenever i see it in the pictures.
I dunno...I just had the opposite reactiom. I thought it looked great at the Otter and not as good in pictures. But I think I just get distracted by the Manitou fork and it takes away from the bike.

It's still incredible and may be my next bike.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
interesting that he stays away from the "traditional" 70-200, tight crop, + external flash look. i definitely like the one you picked out the best, luc. :homer:
Ya I am definitely down with those shots. I've been trying to go to a wider crop recently, show more of the course etc, but I keep ending up back at the "comfort zone". Gotta work on that at Ste Anne.

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
Those are awesome photos, mainly because you can actually see where the rider is coming from, and/or where they are going. Of course the incredible scenery doesn't hurt either!

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
was there a rider in that pic, ................o yeah there is. huh.

man look at that loam.......... ...............

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
Does Sam Hill wear any body armor? Even knee pads? I know he didn't wear knee pads at worlds last year, and does he wear pants now because he isn't wearing knee pads?

jwin

Chimp
Sep 3, 2005
some of sam's ride & finish area - gives an idea of atmosphere - listen to the commentary right at end !