Quantcast

WC Round 1: Pietermaritzburg, SA

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
Red dirt is rad.

Looks pretty cool, taped nice and wide open with some rocky chunk here and there. Hope the nasty forecast stays on track, a bunch of slop would make it more interesting.

Wasn't the RSA course last year much flatter and shorter?

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
track looks rad, hope it clears up enough at some point for some good pictures and videos, and the dirt looks the same as where I ride.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I'm pretty excited about this race. Provided they have cabling for getting cameras and live feed going strong, video should be great, way better then the 20 seconds of camera on some trees for 3 seconds of actual rider. Speeds look fast, and its always good to see some well rounded races. Looks like something a powerful rider from olde will do well on (like peat!)

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
I'm pretty excited about this race. Provided they have cabling for getting cameras and live feed going strong, video should be great, way better then the 20 seconds of camera on some trees for 3 seconds of actual rider. Speeds look fast, and its always good to see some well rounded races. Looks like something a powerful rider from olde will do well on (like peat!)

Or a powerful rider of new... like Cam Cole or Gwin

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Or a powerful rider of new... like Cam Cole or Gwin
Don't get me wrong, I'm rooting for gwin all the way, and the dude is a monster when it comes to endurance shredding (just look at his results from MSA and Fort William) but I'm betting the tried and true pedal smashers named peat, minnaar, and atherton are gonna be the big guns here, fairly confidant they'll all be top 5, with one of those three winning. Gwin podium wouldn't surprise me, but winning would a little bit. Id be stoked to see it though.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
My podium guess:

Minaar "It's his home court for chrissakes"
Gee Atherton
Danny Hart
Dennis Yuroshek
Could we possibly see Matti L top 5?
I'm pretty sure matti only does well on ridiculously difficult tracks. On the more endurance and power based ones he loses focus and hurts himself.

But seriously, I would not gasp in surprise if minnaar won.

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
Don't get me wrong, I'm rooting for gwin all the way, and the dude is a monster when it comes to endurance shredding (just look at his results from MSA and Fort William) but I'm betting the tried and true pedal smashers named peat, minnaar, and atherton are gonna be the big guns here, fairly confidant they'll all be top 5, with one of those three winning. Gwin podium wouldn't surprise me, but winning would a little bit. Id be stoked to see it though.

Yeah I wasn't counting out the old guard of fitness guys (Peaty, Fabian, etc.), or the middle guard of fitness guys (Minnaaar, Gee, etc.)

I was just remarking that there is a new guard of really rounded riders that focus on fitness (Cole, Gwin, etc.)

That said, if GM doesn't win this... I'll be a bit surprised.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
My podium guess:

Minaar "It's his home court for chrissakes"
Gee Atherton
Danny Hart
Dennis Yuroshek
Could we possibly see Matti L top 5?
winning!

I doubt I will podium my first pro race tho, hate to be negative but I just dont see it happening, maybe top 10.

Minnaar,
Peaty
Gee
Hannah
Graves