Quantcast

WC Round 1: Pietermaritzburg, SA

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
i just wanted to add in this thread that Freecaster worked very well for me, here in Canada. I'm surprised at all the whining going on for something that is free. The image was bigger and more clear than in years past, and no freezing. Granted, I got on as the men had already started, but I managed to keep a steady stream for about an hour and a half. so big thanks to Freecaster, and to the teams that keep them broadcasting....

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I didn't have any issues with the stream here in CA. Actually, I think the only issue I had was the live timing not updating. That isn't a freecaster issue though, UCI is in charge of that.

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
I WAS serious.... but now I see that I am just clueless. :D :confused:

Having seen the tire as new that Gwin was running it makes a little more sense. The tire in that pic looked almost bald in the middle. Thats what threw me. Gives you a sense of how abusive a WC run is on equipment. :shocked:
Gwin was running a Semi-slick High roller on the rear and the Bling Bling on the front from what I gather.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
How long has it been since an American was winning the WC overall, i know it doesnt count, since its only 1 race into it, but id imagine it has been a long time since we won(or lead) a WC overall.

BTW, Those bolts looked like they were Ti to me

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
According to the Vital interview with him and his mechanic it was an old Lopes Bling Bling in the rear.
they never said front or rear. look at the photo again, hr ss on the rear, bling bling on the front.

ED75

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
France
they never said front or rear. look at the photo again, hr ss on the rear, bling bling on the front.
I repeat my question, have you any idea of the rear tyres used by the top ten ?

Hannah was on semi-slick HR that's for sure, we do have the pic, Fabien was on cut Wetscream ( I still can't understand his choice on this track) but what about the others ?

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
****ty Ti for sure !!!!!!
Its not ****ty ti, its good ti, a good ti bolt will break on a run if your down at the split, the whole essence of ti is to snap and loose parts on the way down, a good set of ti bolts like mick had can save up to 3 seconds by the end, the only problem is that mick is too much of a novice to ride with no handlebars.

ED75

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
France
Its not ****ty ti, its good ti, a good ti bolt will break on a run if your down at the split, the whole essence of ti is to snap and loose parts on the way down, a good set of ti bolts like mick had can save up to 3 seconds by the end, the only problem is that mick is too much of a novice to ride with no handlebars.
:rofl: Good one !
But he fell before breaking those bolts !

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
I repeat my question, have you any idea of the rear tyres used by the top ten ?

Hannah was on semi-slick HR that's for sure, we do have the pic, Fabien was on cut Wetscream ( I still can't understand his choice on this track) but what about the others ?
i think peat was on a hr ss and minnaar was on a cut hr.

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
According to the guys at Continental I've talked to the Athertons are running proto tires right now, called Ramsteins. Which of course could be tubeless.

My Der Kaiser's sealed up pretty well tubeless on my 823's and have held air great. No reason what they're running now wouldn't work fine tubeless.

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
According to the guys at Continental I've talked to the Athertons are running proto tires right now, called Ramsteins. Which of course could be tubeless.

My Der Kaiser's sealed up pretty well tubeless on my 823's and have held air great. No reason what they're running now wouldn't work fine tubeless.
More burps on non tubeless tires would be my guess for a reason. Though I never tried contis.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Dirt's finals video

edit: sounds like Brendan is a bit bitter calling it the lamest track of the year
http://video.mpora.com/watch/rp7DDCmkR/
also shows how much of a champ Gwin was being about it. That training must be paying off HUGE because the most physically pedalling track of the season was "not that difficult". Pretty obvious who wanted it more and put in the time during the offseason.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
Dirt's finals video

edit: sounds like Brendan is a bit bitter calling it the lamest track of the year
if it was so lame, why did he have trouble with it? some of these guys really need to grow up and stop whining like little school girls....I was rooting for him, but it always leaves a bitter taste when they just can't man up and do the job they're there for. On another note, Brendan kills it when he's racing solo, when Sam's around he seems to struggle, living in the shadow killing his flow??

Tdiddy

Monkey
Apr 8, 2009
best freecaster yet. no stalls, no hiccups. great quality, aside from rob roskopp's interview with the microphone off.

just wish they showed more technical parts of the track towards the top.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I donno, brandon was pretty pissed about falling, I didn't see it so much of sour grapes as just pissed off about falling.

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
I personally thought Brycelands time was very impressive. Top 10 on that track, shows hes been putting in the training in the off season for sure.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I personally thought Brycelands time was very impressive. Top 10 on that track, shows hes been putting in the training in the off season for sure.
I would have never thought that was the case when I was reading his dirt section ;)

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
Or finally fight for the overall. I must say I wish I had his work/training ethic.
One of these days he is going to stay injury free all season and be right up there, who knows, it could be this year! id love to see him do it too.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
So, in watching the Dirt Chit-Chats, it seems that at least Bryn, Barel and Gee were riding tubeless (for the men). That's an interesting development given that the problem with tubeless has been blowing tires off rims. Seems like we're headed in the right direction with tubeless...

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I think now with true ust wheels they hold much better than previously. I dare you to blow a tire of a 823.