Quantcast

WC Round 2 Fort William

Capricorn

Monkey
Jan 9, 2010
Cape Town, ZA
Cool to the that teams are taking the scientific side of racing seriuosly and they are willing to share it.
yep, starting to be what Fabien B once called" the F1 of cycling". I see Fabien is looking at the physiological aspect very closely too, along with bike performance.

a thought crossed my mind: a lot of this stuff is probably being done by everyone, little tricks of the trade as it were, but however often do we the public get to peer behind the magician's curtain. It's all very logical once laid out, but i guess it all comes down to what's needed to race at their level versus Joe Public with vastly different riding requirements. Still, good to know.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
From the vid:

"10deg in temp = about 8psi variation"

Really? Pressure's proportional to temperature in Kelvin. If you have 40psi at 10C that's 283K. Raise it to 20C and that's 293K. Percentage change = 293/283 = 3.5%. 40psi plus 3.5% = 41.4psi...

Am I missing something?

Jase76

Monkey
Aug 10, 2007
Australia
From the vid:

"10deg in temp = about 8psi variation"

Really? Pressure's proportional to temperature in Kelvin. If you have 40psi at 10C that's 283K. Raise it to 20C and that's 293K. Percentage change = 293/283 = 3.5%. 40psi plus 3.5% = 41.4psi...

Am I missing something?
Is that taking into account expansion of the tyre due to temperature elevation?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Is that taking into account expansion of the tyre due to temperature elevation?
No, but I did think of that (if you're talking about the rubber getting softer/stretchier). That'd make the pressure reduce if anything, lessening the effect even more, non?

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
No, but I did think of that (if you're talking about the rubber getting softer/stretchier). That'd make the pressure reduce if anything, lessening the effect even more, non?
Depends what elevation your gauge is calibrated at, but since Fort William is at low altitude anyway (the town is at sea level for starters!) it's not going to be a big effect, and the pressure will be whatever your gauge reads regardless of what temp you're at when you check it. As you said, there's about 1.4psi in it, definitely nowhere near 8!

rayhaan

Monkey
Oct 18, 2007
ireland
there are a few discrepancies to take into account as well, the accuracy of the track pump, how much of the sealant is in the tyre, how much air leaks out of the tyre, the temperature within the system as a whole, the volume changes...etc

I'd say it's a rough estimation on the mechanics part. A system that I am sure he has fine tuned over the years, something I guess he has learnt from experience.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
Looks like Jill left it all on the course as she crawls up onto the stage.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Some QUICK times, 14 seconds up on qualifying! I guess it rained a bit and gave the loose corners some substance?

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
do'h, bummed for mullaly, was pulling for him to bring it together in the finals, those crashes looked rough.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
anyone else having issues getting freecaster.tv to even load?

WARNING MESSAGE

An error was detected which prevented the loading of this page. If this problem persists, please contact the website administrator.

bummed.

Runner

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
CT
Any French monkeys watching this right now? Freecaster won't load at all- is it on TV over here or anything?

toowacky

Monkey
Feb 20, 2010
Pac NW
I'm watching Cathro, go to the bathroom and then I'm watching women's finals?

edit: Lack of coffee

Last edited: