Quantcast

wc schladming thread

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
Just going off memory, Hill has 12 all time world cup wins, Greg has 11 I think. Nico 16 and Peaty 17.
I could be off a win or 2
After the Bromont WC you posted:

And I think Sam and Greg are now tied with all time world cup wins at 10 a piece and that would have them tied for 3rd behind Peaty, Nico.

**Edit
I think Greg may have 11 total wins now...don't have info in front of me, on my phone.
I'm simply going off of memory of what you've posted Stiks! If you were correct in the Bromont thread then they'd be tied at 11 for 3rd now.;)

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Huh? since when is flatting not your fault? especially with Maxxis tires.

That said, Minnaar flatted in qualies and as my previous post detail would have lost the overall by 11pts even with all qualifying pts thrown out.

peat's flat in maribor was a non-factor. he lost the overall by 211 pts, so even if he won maribor (200pts) he still loses the overall.

all the what-if's in the world don't mean much as no one had an incident free season (even then they don't mean much), and either way you slice it Hill won with consistency without making an exception for his dismal result in Andorra, a race wich he almost surely would have won (+200).

Now, if Scladming had a 40 second flat to uphill sprint at the end Minnaar might have been able to repeat his luck from '08. but gifts like that only come around so often :)
True. But it does play into the mental factor of how you approach your next race and the totality of your season. No better example than Gee. He had the speed to win all year long, but we all saw how gutted he became when he blew during (was it Maribor?) finals after qualifying first. You could see that from that point on, it was in his head that he had to go "too" fast to make up ground and get back points.

But saying a flat is the riders fault I can't agree with. At the Sugar National, a perfectly smooth exit onto the slope ruined something like half of the top 10's race runs. They all came down with flats b/c somehow at the end of Semi-Pro race runs just before pro race runs a razor sharp shark fin rock popped out of the grass and flipped straight up in the dip. It split my rim in Semis and destroyed the pros race runs. Nothing they could do about it as it was a random obstacle that couldn't be dodged and could slice through any tire.

In this sport, tires are the weakest link and unless you're going to run some really insanely burly tire that no one makes, I feel like flats are not always the riders fault....especially with guys who've been racing pro DH for 15+ years.

That make more sense?:thumb:

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
"The end of the season is a time for reflection - what has been, what could have been, what will be in 2010! The pits are awash with rumors about who is going, staying, changing teams and Greg Minnaar features highly on peoples lips. -Gary Perkin" (quoted from: http://www.vitalmtb.com/photos/features/Schladming-2009-DH-Finals,224/Slideshow,1887/sspomer,2)

maybe not so much on drugs eh?! :rolleyes: you?! how's the coolaid?

I said that for several reasons: he's been conspicuously quiet lately (at least in the media), he's not wearing much Syndicate clothes, Whitely is his manager at 23 Degrees Sports, and doesn't Whitely also own Trek World Racing? Granted Whitely represents many athletes on many different teams, but still...
it was based on your statement that he doesent wear any syndicate clothes which he did...

Fakewade

Monkey
Aug 26, 2006
Back in Scotland
Can't remember Hill's results from 04 but:

2005 wins
Schladming
Pila

2006 wins
Fort Bill
Schladming

2007 wins
Mont Sainte Anne
Schladming
Maribor

2008 wins
Maribor
Bromont

2009 wins
Mont Sainte Anne
Schladming

Makes it 11

Last edited:

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Fastest World Cup racers (avg. speed trap)....:ph34r:
-------------------------------
  1. MINNAAR 55.287
  2. HANNAH 55.23325
  3. BLENKINSOP 55.2185
  4. GWIN 55.189375
  5. HILL 55.10025
  6. PEAT 54.87575
  7. GUARDIA 54.517875
  8. LEOV 54.498875
  9. BRYCELAND 54.444875
  10. NEETHLING 54.41675
  11. SMITH_Steve 54.126375
  12. VAZQUEZ 53.871125
  13. STROBEL 53.79875
  14. BUTTON 53.503375
  15. STANBRIDGE 53.457875
  16. BEER 53.43625
  17. RIFFLE 53.3285
  18. HART 53.059875
  19. SMITH_Joe 52.82925
  20. FAIRCLOUGH 52.71575
  21. DELFS 52.554875
  22. THIRION 52.23
  23. PASCAL 51.594625
  24. ATHERTON 50.874

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Can't remember Hill's results from 04 but:

2005 wins
Schladming
Pila

2006 wins
Fort Bill
Schladming

2007 wins
Mont Sainte Anne
Schladming
Maribor

2008 wins
Maribor
Bromont

2009 wins
Mont Sainte Anne
Schladming

Makes it 11
it's 11. Schladming '05 was his 1st win

He must be getting close to Peaty on the all-time number of 2nd places as well :think:

numerik

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
Slovenia, Europe
So how was yesterdays party in Schladming? Anybody? Dirt brigade seems wasted as there are no updates on site...Saturday after 4x was pretty good party in the disco at the finish area. Fully packed place. Even XC guys (Sauser) got crazy! 4x racer Slavik was "on form" dancing in racewear and SPD shoes. Good times!

Fakewade

Monkey
Aug 26, 2006
Back in Scotland
Does anyone know if Nico's 16 wins were all won as a senior? If so that's 16 wins over 8 seasons. That is crazy! Although Hill definitely has the potential to equal that, 5 wins over the next 2 seasons, I'd say so.

BigHitComp04

Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
Morgantown, WV
Does anyone know if Nico's 16 wins were all won as a senior? If so that's 16 wins over 8 seasons. That is crazy! Although Hill definitely has the potential to equal that, 5 wins over the next 2 seasons, I'd say so.
Could be 5 wins in just next season alone from looking at the schedule! Thatd be insane.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
I'm glad Hill won and not Minnaar.

Sam Hill is much more entertaining and thrilling to watch than Minnaar who, IMO, is a bit dull.

Dunno why Brendan was cruising in his race run? I reckon he could have done much better, I know he cruises most of the time but he didn't look like he was even trying in his race run...
Ate sh*t up top in morning practice. too banged up to hold on at full speed

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Same goes for Minnaar at MSA, where he stood a good chance of the win, and Peaty at Maribor (though he wasn't particularly likely to win there).

But I'm Australian, so of course Hill deserved the win! :thumb:
Well, had Peat (-211) won Maribor he'd have gained 157 pts over the 43 he got for 38. advantage Sam

Give Minnaar (-120) 2nd at MSA (i'm calling that win for Hill) and he gains back 101. advantage Sam.

Either way you slice it up Hill comes out on top unless you give Minnaar the win at MSA or a 2nd in the final combined with a better than 5th quali, but if you want to take it that far you my as well just say Hill wins Andorra too and still gets the overall, or pull out the slog to the line at Canberra '08 and crown him champ 3 years in a row so what's the point?

Hill scored 100pts (50/50) in Andorra, Minnaar 59pts (0/59) in MSA, and Peat 73pts (30/43) in Maribor so no one gained enough from anyone's mistakes.

Hill wins. done

Last edited:

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Can we stop with all of the what-ifs please? It's REALLY sad, and that's saying a lot coming from the king of sadness, me!

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Can we stop with all of the what-ifs please? It's REALLY sad, and that's saying a lot coming from the king of sadness, me!
I hate what-if's, that's why I whipped out my calculator.

conclusion: Hill still beat the what-if's without any what-if's of his own

Last edited:

Sverre

Monkey
Aug 26, 2004
Norwaii
Another great vid Dirt magazine. So stoked for 2010!
Thanks to everyone who contributed for making this such an awesome year of racing. So stoked for 2010!

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
"The end of the season is a time for reflection - what has been, what could have been, what will be in 2010! The pits are awash with rumors about who is going, staying, changing teams and Greg Minnaar features highly on peoples lips. -Gary Perkin" (quoted from: http://www.vitalmtb.com/photos/features/Schladming-2009-DH-Finals,224/Slideshow,1887/sspomer,2)

maybe not so much on drugs eh?! :rolleyes: you?! how's the coolaid?

I said that for several reasons: he's been conspicuously quiet lately (at least in the media), he's not wearing much Syndicate clothes, Whitely is his manager at 23 Degrees Sports, and doesn't Whitely also own Trek World Racing? Granted Whitely represents many athletes on many different teams, but still...
Just an FYI... Greg is no longer with 23 degrees/martin whitely

And for the armchair quarterbacks slagging on brendan.... He wrecked hard on his last practice run, smashed ribs and was all tapped up for finals... He said he was lucky to get 5th.

He did however destroy the track in practice it was pretty unreal to watch

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Just going off memory, Hill has 12 all time world cup wins, Greg has 11 I think. Nico 16 and Peaty 17.
I could be off a win or 2
By my count he has 11. This is from data from cyclingnews.com archives and UCI.ch site.

World Cup 2004:
Rd 1 Fort William - 3rd
Rd 2 Sestriere - 4th
Rd 3 - Schladming - 3rd
Rd 4 - Mont Ste Anne - 2nd
Rd 5 - Calgary - 38th
World Championships - Les Gets - 3rd
Rd 6 - Livigno - 6th
Series overall - 2nd

World Cup 2005:
Rd 1 Vigo - 3rd
Rd 2 Willingen - 5th
Rd 3 Schladming - 1st
Rd 4 Mont Ste Anne - injured
Rd 5 Brazil - injured
Rd 6 Pila - 1st
World Championships - Livigno - 2nd
Rd 7 Fort William - 7th

World Cup 2006:
Rd 1 Vigo - 6th
Rd 2 Fort William - 1st
Rd 3 Willingen - 14th
Rd 4 Mont Ste Anne - 3rd
Rd 5 Brazil - 12th
Norba National Series Overall 1st
World Championships - Rotorua - 1st
Rd 6 Schladming - 1st
World Cup Overall - 2nd

World Cup 2007:
Rd 1 Vigo - 5th
Rd 2 Champery - 3rd
Rd 3 Mont Ste Anne - 1st
Rd 4 Schladming - 1st

World Championships - Fort William - 1st
Rd 5 Maribor - 1st
World Cup Overall - 1st

World Cup 2008:
Rd 1 Maribor - 1st
Rd 2 Vallnord - 2nd
Rd 3 Fort William - 5th
World Championships - Val di Sole - 3rd
Rd 4 Mont Ste Anne - 2nd
Rd 5 Bromont - 1st
Rd 6 Canberra - 11th
Rd 7 Schladming - 2nd
World Cup Overall - 2nd

World Cup 2009:
Rd 1 Pietermaritzburg - 4th
Rd 2 La Bresse - 2nd
Rd 3 Vallnord - 31st
Rd 4 Fort William - 2nd
Rd 5 Maribor - 2nd
Rd 6 Mont Ste Anne - 1st
Rd 7 Bromont - 3rd
World Championships - Canberra - 5th
Rd 8 Schladming - 1st
World Cup Overall - 1st

-ska todd

Killerbarbies

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
Slovakia
I like the team name on the pdf results sheet for Hill and Fairclough....it doesn't say SPE or SPL or whatever the abbreviated name for Specialized is...it says MER.....so Merida won the World Cup??

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
MER = Monster Energy - they're the main sponsor, Specialized just supplies bikes.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Just an FYI... Greg is no longer with 23 degrees/martin whitely
interesting... I went and had a look at their website before posting, and Greg was still on the list of athletes. Maybe they're milking Greg's name for all its worth, or maybe they just haven't gotten around to taking him off the list.

Either way, it'll be interesting to see where he ends up next year. if he moves at all.

Too bad about Brendan. It would be good to see him realize his full potential some day.

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
interesting... I went and had a look at their website before posting, and Greg was still on the list of athletes. Maybe they're milking Greg's name for all its worth, or maybe they just haven't gotten around to taking him off the list.

Either way, it'll be interesting to see where he ends up next year. if he moves at all.

Too bad about Brendan. It would be good to see him realize his full potential some day.
Em, i'm pretty sure Martin is still involved with Greg, Martin was talking to some bike companys on Greg's behalf in Schladming. But Greg is also being managed by Mark Squire, he's a South African photographer, who is involved with lots of bike events in SA aswell as managing Jared Graves, Sam Willoughby and Sifiso Nhlapo. http://www.synergy-sport.com/

Not sure how it works really, Martin and Greg have been together since Greg's junior days. It's pretty much more then a rider manager relationship! haha Don't mean anything touchy by that.

Last edited:

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
My rear brake pads fell out in a race run a couple of months ago. Shat me right up, and I lost about 5 seconds from going cautiously into stuff, and that was on a WAYYYYYYYYYY easier/shorter track than Schladming. Respect to that man :)