Quantcast

We all gon die. The pandemic thread.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
How we roll with contact tracing in New Zealand —

RNZ headlines at 7pm, 1st item:

If you were on a particular coach between small town x and small town y, on xx date at xx time, please self isolate.

Go bragging about having a functional society in these parts and your likely to get burned at a stake to see if you are a witch.

Just a heads up.

But as the smell of your own burning flesh stings your nose take comfort at the ease in which Brian pays for his kids education.

And as you take your last breaths pray that the children are enlightened so that they know their own means are superior to the needs of the masses and know that your sacrifice allowed a redneck with a paycheck think they are part of the elite.

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
It still amuses me that you need fake ID to drink while at Uni in Murica, whereas in the UK the busiest bars in most cities is the students union bar on the university campus.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
God I hated that place

I was quite pleased to learn that several fraternities were banned from my school a few years ago. Bunch of date raping violent homophobes got away with it in the 80s and 90s when I was there. Not that any of their actions have changed since, but more likely the social climate has progressed and the school can no longer ignore the problem.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
the frat situation at my undergrad (bowdoin) was weird, but in a good way. when the college started admitting women, all the frats had to go coed or leave. so most became just local chapters. mine had already been kicked out of nationals for admitting african american members. mixed sex houses were a helluva time...not long after i graduated they eventually forced them all out anyway. looks like the "house" got razed a few years ago...it's now a center for environmental studies

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Given the choice of making COVID-19 vanish from the planet tomorrow or doing a Thanos and making all the non-maskers vanish, which do you choose?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Getting rid of the non-maskers seems like a good long term outcome, and without those idiots, the rest of the population can actually get a handle on Covid.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Getting rid of the non-maskers seems like a good long term outcome, and without those idiots, the rest of the population can actually get a handle on Covid.
And climate change. And social injustice. And... it's the same population, so... yeah.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
And climate change. And social injustice. And... it's the same population, so... yeah.
Only one problem with losing all the maskless is the impact on the economy. Without them we could not keep things going.

Personally I would like to believe that I don’t need these people. But the reality is that we all need each other to function as a society and to overcome this pandemic. Unfortunately we are so divided that this seems impossible. Our collective sense of rugged individualism is going to be our downfall.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Only one problem with losing all the maskless is the impact on the economy. Without them we could not keep things going.

Personally I would like to believe that I don’t need these people. But the reality is that we all need each other to function as a society and to overcome this pandemic. Unfortunately we are so divided that this seems impossible. Our collective sense of rugged individualism is going to be our downfall.

pssst......down here

They didn't actually build everything

Yeah I mean I certainly can't think of any recent events where their presence has caused any problems with economy. Certainly nothing that a bunch of science denying assholes has caused, spread and prolonged that has any kind of negative economic affects on the country. Nothing that their absence would have actually improved........nope......can't think of a single one :rofl:

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
pssst......down here

They didn't actually build everything

Yeah I mean I certainly can't think of any recent events where their presence has caused any problems with economy. Certainly nothing that a bunch of science denying assholes has caused, spread and prolonged that has any kind of negative economic affects on the country. Nothing that their absence would have actually improved........nope......can't think of a single one :rofl:
Not denying any of that. But if they were suddenly gone, the impact would most certainly be felt. A lot of goods and services that you depend on would simply vanish. A whole lot of blue collar jobs would become vacant. Fantasize all ya want but unless you can live off the grid and completely independent of others then you still need them.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Uh huh

Cuz all framers and machinists fear science.

Were literally talking about people who don't believe experts. Those people are bad at things.

Hey westy, you guys would really be hurting if that crane hadn't started to tip over right? Think of all the money you would have lost if you had someone who could listen to directions.

Boy I just can't imagine the long term economic effects of actually being able to stop global warming. That would be terrible.

Stupid people make economies weaker, not stonger. Short term boom and bust cycles are not good for the economy.

We've existed just fine with populations of all sizes. We could do with a few less idiots with youtube accounts making things worse.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Uh huh

Cuz all framers and machinists fear science.

Were literally talking about people who don't believe experts. Those people are bad at things.

Hey westy, you guys would really be hurting if that crane hadn't started to tip over right? Think of all the money you would have lost if you had someone who could listen to directions.

Boy I just can't imagine the long term economic effects of actually being able to stop global warming. That would be terrible.

Stupid people make economies weaker, not stonger. Short term boom and bust cycles are not good for the economy.
Of the blue collar folks I work with, only a few are open Trumpettes. Don't know how many are Covid deniers as I haven't been in the factory since Covid. However, I can honestly say of the Trumpettes, we would be more productive without them. Fewer people getting more done with less effort. One of them even shares some hobbies with Trump, he is an enthusiastic judge of child beauty pageants. Childless man in his 50s. The creep streak is a mile wide.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Stupid people but things they can't afford. That keeps the economy moving. I'm with @AngryMetalsmith on that. After society recovered from the immediate economic impact, we'd likely move on at a much higher pace. Because that denying group heavily weighs the part of the population that denies everything I mentioned before. When that group suddenly isn't getting people into congress, it would be amazing how quickly things like tax reform (targeting the ultra-wealthy and corporations) and social benefits could get pushed through.

If you made minimum wage in the US $15/hr, all of a sudden factory jobs will have to pay more to get and keep people vs. them working at a local store. If you make national healthcare, then corporations will need better incentives to keep/acquire employees.

It wouldn't be as bad as say, the finger snap in Avengers, because it would be a smaller population. Also because it likely wouldn't be a lot of mid-family or household splits; households tend to believe as a group. Just *poof* the neighbors are gone. Would probably be a lot of young orphans though...

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Stupid people but things they can't afford. That keeps the economy moving. I'm with @AngryMetalsmith on that. After society recovered from the immediate economic impact, we'd likely move on at a much higher pace. Because that denying group heavily weighs the part of the population that denies everything I mentioned before. When that group suddenly isn't getting people into congress, it would be amazing how quickly things like tax reform (targeting the ultra-wealthy and corporations) and social benefits could get pushed through.

If you made minimum wage in the US $15/hr, all of a sudden factory jobs will have to pay more to get and keep people vs. them working at a local store. If you make national healthcare, then corporations will need better incentives to keep/acquire employees.

It wouldn't be as bad as say, the finger snap in Avengers, because it would be a smaller population. Also because it likely wouldn't be a lot of mid-family or household splits; households tend to believe as a group. Just *poof* the neighbors are gone. Would probably be a lot of young orphans though...
And then what ? Would we then seek to rid ourselves of the remaining lowest common denominator. Which demographic that you don't agree with will it be ?

The arguments put forth are the same bullshit that is spewed from the mouths of local racists who claim that Mexicans take their jobs and don't contribute to society. They work, they pay rent, they buy stuff, just like everyone else. Ya'll are just doing the same to stupid people. The more you fantasize about it the further divided we become. And it also further reinforces the contempt that conservatives have for liberals whom they see as arrogant and dismissive. Ya know, "Liberal Elites".

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Bullshit.

There's a big difference between ignorance and willfull obliviousness coupled with cruelty.

Go back and read changleens original question. You're extrapolating into discussions not being had. Fewer assholes is not the same thing as making a case for eugenics.

Not everyone is born a genius. But going out of your way to flaunt stupidity just to own the libs is something entirely different.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Stupid people but things they can't afford. That keeps the economy moving.
No just the accepted version of an economy that looks like a sine wave that can spike or crash at the next amway scam.

Real strength comes from confidence and security in the future regarding investments. You know this. I don't confuse short term coke highs with fitness.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Fo real do

I'm not talking about killing rain man. No one is. Just letting nature take it's course with the same people you yourself have been complaining about in NC who do not care if they kill someone because they refuse to be inconvenienced.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Fo real do

I'm not talking about killing rain man. No one is. Just letting nature take it's course with the same people you yourself have been complaining about in NC who do not care if they kill someone because they refuse to be inconvenienced.
Again, fantasy. A self correcting problem would be great but there will be too much collateral damage.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
And then what ? Would we then seek to rid ourselves of the remaining lowest common denominator. Which demographic that you don't agree with will it be ?

The arguments put forth are the same bullshit that is spewed from the mouths of local racists who claim that Mexicans take their jobs and don't contribute to society. They work, they pay rent, they buy stuff, just like everyone else. Ya'll are just doing the same to stupid people. The more you fantasize about it the further divided we become. And it also further reinforces the contempt that conservatives have for liberals whom they see as arrogant and dismissive. Ya know, "Liberal Elites".
Not at all. There is a population in every society that fights tooth and nail to prevent change. Historically once enough social pressure is built up to overrun that group, society will move forward in very quick bursts. Depending on where that society is on the social cycle, they work as either a headwind or an anchor.

If the COVID deniers just *poof* disappeared, you would find that their population highly overlaps in that group. I'm not saying get rid of populations; far from it. Hell, education alone would knock out a lot of that population in a single generation. Do I support wiping out populations for any reason? No. Would life on earth likely move forward and be more beneficial long-term without said population? Yes.