Quantcast

We are going to buy a house.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
After a year I still have not gotten around to repainting the ceiling of the kitchen and TV room where we put in IC rated Can Lights. I do have the Major projects done, just slacking on the final touch ups.

I'm jealous
The previous owners:

a) Did not own or know of the existence of a caulking gun

b) apparently scored some free paint, specifically kelly green gloss enamel for the kitchen and dining room (WTFF??)

c) painted the walls with rags or maybe their hands

Seriously, the green paint on textured walls looked like Godzilla skin. What. The. Fvck.

After replacing and/or repairing all the baseboard trim, patching holes in walls, removing effed up lighting fixtures, removing and cleaning up some lead paint, replacing every door knob, then TSP'ing the whole interior floor to ceiling, I've had to mask and re-paint every square inch of wall and trim in the entire house.

I bought a factory refurb paint sprayer, which promptly died after 10 gallons of primer. (they took it back)

I opted for more muscle, hence I am now the happy owner of a brand new Graco 395. BIG difference.

After every room was primer'd (which killed the first pump), all the ceilings got two sprayed coats of Sherwin Williams Eminance. All the trim and built-in cabinets sprayed with Pro Classic waterborne alkyd with a fine finish tip. All the walls are getting brushed/rollered.

Looks like a different house now.

Before/after pics later.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
The previous owners:

b) apparently scored some free paint, specifically kelly green gloss enamel for the kitchen and dining room (WTFF??)

Seriously, the green paint on textured walls looked like Godzilla skin. What. The. Fvck.

After replacing and/or repairing all the baseboard trim, patching holes in walls, removing effed up lighting fixtures, removing and cleaning up some lead paint, replacing every door knob, then TSP'ing the whole interior floor to ceiling, I've had to mask and re-paint every square inch of wall and trim in the entire house.

I bought a factory refurb paint sprayer, which promptly died after 10 gallons of primer. (they took it back)

I opted for more muscle, hence I am now the happy owner of a brand new Graco 395. BIG difference.

After every room was primer'd (which killed the first pump), all the ceilings got two sprayed coats of Sherwin Williams Eminance. All the trim and built-in cabinets sprayed with Pro Classic waterborne alkyd with a fine finish tip. All the walls are getting brushed/rollered.

Before/after pics later.

I know the feeling, no lights in the house we had to add IC rated LED Cans. Room wall switch turned off all electrical outlets in the room, same in every room, had to rewire and run switch to can lights only with dimmer.

Kitchen total gut, appliances and cabinets nothing worth saving.

New water heater old one died in the first 3 months of occupancy.

Connect back up underfloor heating and AC ducts as they were lying on the ground.

Gas lines were insufficient to run Water heater and furnace let alone oven and clothes dryer had to run all new gas lines. new igniter for furnace, no heat.

No attic insulation we added R40 to the entire house.

Ah the joys of buying an older house ( built in 72)

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I once rented an apartment that had the bathroom painted in peeling dark brown paint, that had clearly been applied over what sounds like a similar shade of green. It was hilariously terrible.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
The previous owners:

Before/after pics later.
so in between tours all you've been doing is painting?

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Wow that is a lot of work. Looking forward to the pictures.

This time of the year I do the yearly maintenance. 1905 building and we renovated in 2006 when we moved in so with two boys and normal wear and tear there are always stuff to do. Still have some new projects I would like to start when I find the funds.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Well paint plus hole repair too of corse. Not easy when you have two aspiring Kong Fu pandas in the house. At least I can do the work myself.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
so in between tours all you've been doing is painting?
Pretty much. We closed escrow as I was at the airport headed to Australia. Been doing nothing but renovation since the night I got back. Oh, and a 40 hour/week day job.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Update:

The house rules. It was a ****-ton of work to move in. Still working on stuff. The furnace, oven and dishwasher are broke. (at least the burners work on the stove) Currently over-utilizing the home warranty we purchased.

:D