^^^^We D Nesd Ayyyy

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Tell me about trumpets...
Portable
Can practice at home without going anywhere
Minimal ongoing costs once acquired
Playing them actually makes me money (that I then donate back to the group usually)
Not associated with a sport in which many (most?) participants daddy-fund their way into the higher leagues

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Woke up at 4:00 AM with a nasty headache, so I shut off the alarm and slept until 7:30. Texted my boss and told him I am working from home, which he is always fine with. My headache went away after some Advil, so I did an hour easy on the KICKR while watching the first episode of Ms. Marvel on the Disney+ (liked it more than I expected).

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Portable
Can practice at home without going anywhere
Minimal ongoing costs once acquired
Playing them actually makes me money (that I then donate back to the group usually)
Not associated with a sport in which many (most?) participants daddy-fund their way into the higher leagues
someone clearly never entered a mountain bike race.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
you can get a trumpet at a pawn shop....

competition kart....probably not...
Time sink with no exit strategy. Any activity can become a time sink with no exit strategy.

MTB was a time sink with no exit strategy for me. I just got hurt so bad I had to stop racing. I wouldn't call that an exit strategy.

Haley has zero interest in any other sport/activity that involves competition and social interaction that goes along with it. We have tried again and again. She's interested in this and is already learning emotional control around not getting what she wants and immediate gratification. She's controlling anger when things don't go her way. In 6mos we've seen more emotional maturity development than we have in years. So, just keep going down that path.

Hannah is doing it with gymnastics already, so we're letting her run that route.

Edit: to add, Haley threw a crying shit fit the first time she raced and got like 8th. Happened the next few times too. We had a serious heart to heart about it and how emotions are always valid, but the reactions aren't always justified. Next race, wasn't taking people out and trying to force positions. Bumped way up in places.

Yesterday, after the race, one of the dads was talking about taking the anger from today and bottling it up, then focusing it next month. She said "No. That doesn't work for me. I can be upset. I'll beat him next race."

That's what racing is teaching her.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Time sink with no exit strategy. Any activity can become a time sink with no exit strategy.

MTB was a time sink with no exit strategy for me. I just got hurt so bad I had to stop racing. I wouldn't call that an exit strategy.

Haley has zero interest in any other sport/activity that involves competition and social interaction that goes along with it. We have tried again and again. She's interested in this and is already learning emotional control around not getting what she wants and immediate gratification. She's controlling anger when things don't go her way. In 6mos we've seen more emotional maturity development than we have in years. So, just keep going down that path.

Hannah is doing it with gymnastics already, so we're letting her run that route.

Edit: to add, Haley threw a crying shit fit the first time she raced and got like 8th. Happened the next few times too. We had a serious heart to heart about it and how emotions are always valid, but the reactions aren't always justified. Next race, wasn't taking people out and trying to force positions. Bumped way up in places.

Yesterday, after the race, one of the dads was talking about taking the anger from today and bottling it up, then focusing it next month. She said "No. That doesn't work for me. I can be upset. I'll beat him next race."

That's what racing is teaching her.
Even ///Spreadsheet ///Stoney knows the ROI isn't always financial

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Even ///Spreadsheet ///Stoney knows the ROI isn't always financial
There are certainly non-financial benefits to activities. Music's a great example of that. But this just seems exceptionally inefficient, if you will.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
still not getting it.
What if she could only develop emotional maturity and commitment to an activity through, competitively sailing America's Cup yachts or picking flowers from the north slope of Mt. Everest?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Dammit, was scheduled to be an adult ‘helper’ for my kid’s school’s ‘pedal ready’ reward ride (the kids who help look after the school’s fleet of bikes all year get an off-road adventure at the end of the year as a reward). However it absolutely shit down overnight and there is a heavy rain/thunderstorm warning out, so it’s all ‘postponed’.
No ride and now I have to do actual work. :disgust:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Oof. Hitch install done, was more expensive than uhaul but at least it wasn't done by the lowest common denominator type folks. Then I bought the 1.25" lower end for my hitch rack, which ended up being more expensive than I wanted...but at least I'm doing it correctly and will be able to move bikes without issue. Only one thing left to do now...

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I'm finding it difficult to concentrate. Going for a ride, BRB.
I accidentally a new saddle on my way to ride. First time I think I've ever purchased an aftermarket saddle for a bike, I've always just ridden the one it came with. Too many crashes on the old one, and it was time for an upgrade. I did one of those fancy sit bone measuring test thingers, and got a saddle appropriately wide enough for my bum. Holy crap, that makes a pretty big difference.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I accidentally a new saddle on my way to ride. First time I think I've ever purchased an aftermarket saddle for a bike, I've always just ridden the one it came with. Too many crashes on the old one, and it was time for an upgrade. I did one of those fancy sit bone measuring test thingers, and got a saddle appropriately wide enough for my bum. Holy crap, that makes a pretty big difference.
New custom title:

ASS MASTER

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Sit bones are dead nuts at 13cm.

Oh do you mean the saddle? Ergon SR Pro in the M/L size. Went for a roadie saddle vs. the mountain version because it was just as wide but had a bit less squared off shape, and the "tail" of the saddle wasn't as long on the road version which to me seemed like it would be less likely to snag on my shorts on steeper descents. One hour-ish ride in and so far it seems to be awesome. Kinda cool having my ass supported on my sit bones. These German folks might be on to something.