Quantcast

We need your help!!!

foreveralout

Chimp
Nov 3, 2008
ruff raleigh
The city of Raleigh, N.C., is building a concrete skatepark, and as it stands now. bikes will not be allowed. what we need from you is to sign this petition allowing bikes in to the parks.

http://bmxnc.petitionhost.com/

Please sign and post this on any local biking websites and forums that you know of. I will post a website showing pics of the park in progress later. Thank you all !!!!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Tell them that if they build a skatepark and don't allow bikes, then they need to build a separate bike park. Because that's discriminatory!!!!!11

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
signed but the comments box is terrible-all skaters saying to get your own park. I used to skate and can see where they are coming from with the bikers(mostly brakeless bmxers) but they do make a decent point. when is the last time bikers got a park. i'm not saying it hasn't happened but i cant think of a single time it did happen.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Tell them that if they build a skatepark and don't allow bikes, then they need to build a separate bike park. Because that's discriminatory!!!!!11
Doubt that was a serious remark, but the township apparently is building the park with their own funds, so can't they determine who and what can participate there?

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
http://www.spausa.org/bikes-parks.html
CIVIL RIGHTS ISSUES
If you are a private park then you can decide who uses the park. If you are a city park and you discriminate against the biker (who is usually accepted into private parks) then you may have a civil rights issue. You may be required to build a separate bike park.

Nothing concrete there, but they do raise the issue...

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
Not sure that's how it works... In California, bikes aren't allowed in any public skatepark. The reason has something to do with the fact that everyone has a bike in their garage, but only skaters have skateboards. So the lawyers have branded skateboarding an "inherently dangerous activity" and as such they can't sue. Riding a bike on the other hand, has not been branded an "inherently dangerous activity" so cyclists who crash on a bike path or in a skatepark could sue.

That's how I understand it anyway.

What we need is a bike civil rights movement. We will persevere...

http://www.spausa.org/bikes-parks.html
CIVIL RIGHTS ISSUES
If you are a private park then you can decide who uses the park. If you are a city park and you discriminate against the biker (who is usually accepted into private parks) then you may have a civil rights issue. You may be required to build a separate bike park.

Nothing concrete there, but they do raise the issue...

RideRMB

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
'Da Hood
Signed. I would suggest that everybody check out the message board on the site. The skaters have made some pretty immature comments. I did my best to set them straight but having some backup would be nice!

RideRMB

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
'Da Hood
see skaters vs bikers thread
The whole board is filled with immature kids. I mean have you seen the names? Instead of taking my contructive criticism they just mouth off..this should definetly shown the the city council to show what skaters can and are like sometimes...