Quantcast

Web design

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Now I realise this is a vague question, but how hard is it to learn to create websites?

I am a bit sick of my website (see my sig) as it's a basic template-style package. I can go in and edit it whenever I want and easily too.

So. What does it take to become fairly competent enough in web design to create my own site?

Streamline

Spammer Extraordinaire
Jul 9, 2007
That is a very wide open question. You need to start of by sitting down and deciding exactly what you want: Content, search features, graphics, etc. There are so many different coding languages and such that it wouldn't be an easy fix. You may be able to find a nice wordpress theme that you could adapt.

Also it isn't just about the web design end but also about the user interface/graphic design end of it. A perfectly functioning ugly website is no good.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Yeah, I knew it was a very open question, but that's about how much I know at this point.

I see other ski chalet operator's websites with moving pictures, scrolling text etc and wish mine was better. I'd like something similar to mine in content, but just a little more flashed up than the template can offer.

The thing is, I could spend a couple of grand on a new website, but then updating it myself will not be so easy. I'd rather go out and learn to do it myself.

Are there any online courses I could do that are recommended? Or is it something that I can be shown how to do? Or is it really not that simple?

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Use a free CMS (I use Umbraco.dk) and get somebody who understands design to do the design and then you can do the implementation and find out how to get people to find your website.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
With all the quality, free HTML templates available on the web, you would be crazy trying to create one from scratch.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
So I can go do a crash course on basic web design, grab one of those free templates and with my new-found knowledge I could change bits and pieces to suit my company?

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
So I can go do a crash course on basic web design, grab one of those free templates and with my new-found knowledge I could change bits and pieces to suit my company?
Yes - that's what I would do.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Cheers mate, good to know someone think it's alright. Feedback is always cool to hear and much appreciated.

I do ride my bikes a lot. I mean a lot. The season is over here however and I have ridden enough to be happy to hang the bike up for now (not the roadie though, not just yet). The snow is coming and you certainly don't have to worry about me riding then either! Woohoo! Bring on the snow!

Anyway, back on track... Any design monkies (or anyone else for that matter) have anything they'd like to mention re my website? How could it be better? What is it missing? Etc...? Some fresh ideas would be cool.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Learning the basics is very simple. I recommend http://www.w3schools.com for the basics.
I also recommend that. That's where I started. Even if you start playing with a template, you'll want to at least go through some tutorials there... html and css.

A content management system is another option, as suggested, especially if you want dynamic content (blogs, galleries, etc). Most usually have premade templates. I'm building my new site with drupal and starting from/editing a blank template.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_management_system

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drupal

Last edited:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
My feedback on your design is its not that important just do something simple. I think with a budget of $1000 you could get a desgin and have it implemented in a free CMS if you know the right people. For my site I use a local designer and a guy in Brazil does the implementation.

I think its more about text and pictures i.e. the content of the site. Its about selling them your story and why you have the good vibe going. With any site or anything you do quality always shines through. Like using a professional photographer or at least somebody who knows what to do with a SLR. I would love to see you teaching people to make some nice food and taking guest mountain biking and give a more personal image of the place. Also more about the place, where are you located (I did not see a map).

If you have the time some updates during the season to tempt guest and give an even better feel of the place and whats go on but a blog like that takes time and effort.

And as in any business you have to let the customers know what makes you special and much better than the competition.

bitingback

Turbo Monkey
Anyway, back on track... Any design monkies (or anyone else for that matter) have anything they'd like to mention re my website? How could it be better? What is it missing? Etc...? Some fresh ideas would be cool.
for what my opinion's worth...at first glance i wasn't really sure what the site was. then as i poked around...to me the thing i noticed was that the place is amazing...beautiful...elegant...the area has awesome outdoor activities...but the "look" of the site doesn't have that same feel.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
No-one really 'stumbles' onto my website however, they are directed there, or know where to find it and already know what it is.

But cheers for all the replies guys, I'll give it some thought to learning web design and I'll also look at my site to see how it could be improved.

Cheers again all!

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
One thing I like mate is how it's one click to find out how much it costs and when it's available. I hate sites where you have to faff around for 10 minutes to find out how much the bastard costs.