Quantcast

Web Hosting/Domain Registry?

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Looking for suggestions on where to register a domain and host a site. Seems like there are a few that are sketchy at best. I just want something simple to learn how to do basic web page stuff. I know pretty much zero at this point and would like to not get screwed.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
lunarpages.com

Free domain registration with a hosting package.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
For hosting I use Dreamhost. It's cheap, and not bad. There's usually some coupon codes floating around on the net that will get you a domain name and a year of hosting for something like $25.

If you need a registrar only (to register a domain name), I like name.com. Though if you can find a host that will include the name for free, there isn't much reason to use the independent registrar.

Whatever you do, don't use godaddy.

Last edited:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Sites not built...and I'll cross that bridge when I get there. It's just going to be a personal site for projects and whatnot. I'm just looking for somewhere to buy a name that I own and host the site. If they have some remedial page building programs, that would be good too. I'm decently savvy when it comes to using a computer, but haven't really had any web building experience.