Quantcast

Web hosting

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
OK. I am getting ready to set up a website for my girlfriends one-woman-team, and need some advise/guidance. I know how to set up a site, but not where. From talking to a web designer friend, he said that there are many cheap, even free servers out there, but I assume that "free" and "cheap" are synonomous with "Fine print and catches up th ying-yang". He said that most require you to use their name in the url, like www.comcast.myteam.com or whatever, but for a small charge you get just myteam.com. This site MUST be of the myteam.com variety since it will be what she puts down as a sponser on entry forms and will have printed on her jersey.

So, now the actual question. Can any of you recomend a good server company? Or, if anyone has used comcast, can you get a custom address? My mom put some pictures up on a comcast site that she has b/c we have broadband, but they don't seem to give you much and the address is stupid long.

All comments welcome. Thanks!

EDIT: Ha! I just looked back at this and saw that the fictional address I put in is being treated like a real link.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i run my personal site off a "business" cable modem connection, with a hostname from www.dyndns.org that points to it (this is the "my site" link in my sig). upsides: it leeches off my parents' cable modem connection, previously my school's bandwidth, and i get complete control and unlimited space since i run the server myself. downsides: you have to know what you're doing, and all downtime is your fault, your problem. not recommended for something that sponsors might look at.

i also have space with 1and1. www.1and1.com should work. they're cheap, they give you space, and you can register a proper domain name through them, so no long or funky addresses to deal with. upsides: not too expensive, trained monkeys to take care of problems. downsides: limited space, pay to play.

i would definitely not recommend going with the free providers. there's always a catch, and often it is in the form of annoying and intrusive ads, again not something you want in a site viewed by sponsors.

sp0om

Chimp
Feb 29, 2004
yes, free hosts suck.

check these guys out: http://www.totalchoicehosting.com

very very good beginner plans, and tech support. 4 dollars a month for a very good beginner plan, and a domain name will cost you about 9 dollars a year.

setting up and keeping a site up isnt all that costly.

Apr 26, 2002
Victoria, BC
I dont know what you are looking for, but for 8 bucks a month you get 40gig of bandwidth, 800meg of space, 400 email address's, some sweet add ons, a user friendly back end, good customer support, free domain registration.....
http://www.ipowerweb.com/
its where my site is located....and so far down time has been minimal.

sp0om

Chimp
Feb 29, 2004
downtime is virtually non existant with totalchoicehosting, and if you do decide to get a domain, do not register one with a web host. register at a place like register.com, where they only sell domain names

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Thanks for the advice. I will be purchasing a domain at buydomain or register. Its been a while since I took a web design class, but as part of a class I am taking now I will be learning html.
The replies have deffinately been a help. Cant wait to get the site up!